Author Topic: Playing an astronomer (Astrologer)  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Suzune

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Playing an astronomer (Astrologer)
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »
I have never posted a topic here before. However I was hoping, assuming this is not against the rules, if anyone has any advice to building an astronomer. I am finding it difficult to construct a build that allows for her to be useful during the daytime. So perhaps, if you have a suggestion of some open or closed channeling or mentalism spell lists that you think might strengthen the build.

Important details about the character. She is in a Shades of Darkness Campaign as a Follower of Chamur.

I would simply ask my GM however, he has not had an astronomer in a campaign before.

Thank you very much for considering my question.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:04:49 PM by Thom @ ICE »

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Playing an astronomer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
There are all sorts of useful open and closed Mentalism lists, considering all of them are usable day or night with little difference - unlike the Astrologer base lists. Anticipations is one of my favorite; it goes well with the Astrologer, as it is an prediction-type spell list, and it is great at helping the Astrologer stay alive (at lower levels) and their group (at the higher levels).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:45:14 PM »
The Ulpir.  Very scary stuff.

The talent POWER is probably the best bet.  50 levels in spell list in such a magic information starved world would quite an advantage.  If she spreads the 50 levels between open and closed list, she could train her base list to 3 with say 10 list to 5th, she should be quite versatile.  Cloistered Academic or a similar Lifestyle TP would explain the spell knowledge, or Protégé from Mentalism Companion even.

BG options for daily spell items, or even a stave with spells (why have one 1-10th level spell when you could have 10 spells with 10 charges each, or 2 spells with 50 charges each, etc).  If its combat, a wand of shock bolt never hurt, or a daily III.

Most of my games are set in cities versus wilderness, so facades and shape shifting abilities are very usful.  movement spells are good too, but never forget the information gathering spells.  those are always useful.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline LonePaladin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:40:12 AM »
Can't go wrong with Toast Law.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
I have never posted a topic here before. However I was hoping, assuming this is not against the rules, if anyone has any advice to building an astronomer. I am finding it difficult to construct a build that allows for her to be useful during the daytime. So perhaps, if you have a suggestion of some open or closed channeling or mentalism spell lists that you think might strengthen the build.
I assume that you refer to the Astrologer profession. We had one Astrologer in our game. Basically it was a character which helped the group by learning all kind of utility spells from his Base Lists as well as Open & Closed Lists of his two realms (Intuitions, Dreams, Healing, Detections) plus he could also survive in melee, because he learned a combat-related Training Package, had Hobby Ranks assigned to combat skills, learned his primary weapon with one rank per level and use spells like Blur, Anticipate Blow, Bladeturn during combat. That way he was quite valuable for the group.

Offline Suzune

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »
Yes, I meant astrologer as the profession. I really appreciate everyone who has commented. I will look into all of those spell lists.

yammahoper, it is actually the demons that we have trouble with not the ulpir. My last character would know. ;)

Ecthelion, I appreciate the advice you gave. It was my greatest fear that she should not have a place on the team and would not be useful to them.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »
Astrologers are rather useful as they are. We did something to increase their aggressive power in my campaigns. We allow the spell flare to be focused into a lightsaber like weapon using a gemstone and spell mastery. very valuable gems give a bonus to ob and the spell mastery roll determines for how long it lasts. Directed spells is used for ob development and the "sabre" attacks on the firebolt attack table. You could use the "Power Sword" attack table if you have it. I choose not to because it is so powerful.

Offline Aunaju75

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Sbobet
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 02:18:38 AM »
Impressive too

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:17:12 AM »
Astrologers are rather useful as they are. We did something to increase their aggressive power in my campaigns. We allow the spell flare to be focused into a lightsaber like weapon using a gemstone and spell mastery. very valuable gems give a bonus to ob and the spell mastery roll determines for how long it lasts. Directed spells is used for ob development and the "sabre" attacks on the firebolt attack table. You could use the "Power Sword" attack table if you have it. I choose not to because it is so powerful.

Sounds cool. Looks very much like fireblade (RMC I) or similar spells with the twist of the duration. Gripe I would have (an my players) is whether other professions can do it too, Magicians, Sorcerors and the such, for instance.

OP: In my personal opinion, it goes to show how weak a profession is when you have to modify it extensively to make it viable. Personally I'm all for modifying a profession to make it viable, but am also partial to using professions which "work" already, unless a player really wants to go that route. Even then, it sometimes pays to have a look at a completely different profession and see whether, with less changes, it can fit the vision the player has. Perhaps a Mystic with fewer changes could work, or even a Cleric with a couple of deity-provided lists if you want to stay Channeling. Just my 2 cents as I've never used an Astrologer myself finding the profession lacking in areas me and my players dabble more into.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »
The astrologer as a concept could be really useful and central to your party... if they were all nocturnal.

As it is, there are hardly any parties, much less any whole societies, that live above ground and sleep during the day. I think as long as that condition is present the Astrologer is going to be a "niche" character no matter what you do with it.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »
Which version of RM are you playing Suzune? I would have some suggestions if you are playing RM2 or RMU; I don't know enough about RMSS/FRP to help.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Suzune

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
Which version of RM are you playing Suzune? I would have some suggestions if you are playing RM2 or RMU; I don't know enough about RMSS/FRP to help.

I am playing RMFRP. However, I created the character a little while back, in June. I have been playing her for a while now. She does not have the most impressive build. However, I have augmented her with Telekinesis, Movement and Attack Avoidance. It is also nice to have the Follower of Chamur and Horseperson background lists to draw from. So while she is not as exciting as my dabbler was, she manages herself. She is a great skill person, not so great for combat though.

Offline Modric

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
Somewhat off topic, but I loved that Sauruman's stats in the old MERP product Isengard listed him as a dual class Alchemist and Astrologer.  :)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Playing an astronomer (Astrologer)
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 03:29:45 PM »
...someone should really edit the topic and change "astronomer" with "astrologer".  ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:03:01 PM by Thom @ ICE »
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Playing an astronomer (Astrologer)
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 05:03:56 PM »
Feel better....
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com