Author Topic: How about a Kickstarter project for a new SWMA, possible?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How about a Kickstarter project for a new SWMA, possible?
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »
As the subject says, would it be possible to get a new version of the Shadow World Master Atlas via Kickstarter?

Steve Jackson just did a kickstarter for a new edition of OGRE and it went huge, nearly 3000 backers and something like $370K and it still has 9 days to go :o

I'm sure there would be enough people for it here and if not, you can't really lose anything. It's just additional money for the project.

Personally I just want the ultimate edition, 4th ed. info and add all the stuff that was cut that was in the earlier editions, tri-stated for RM2/2.5/Classic, RMFRP and HARP. Hell, you can even has a strech goal for making it a boxed edition or hardcover or whatever. Add some new art ala The Player Guide and so on, possibilities are endless with enough support.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: How about a Kickstarter project for a new SWMA, possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »
It's an interesting idea; I'd never heard of it. But apparently no one but US bank account owners can contribute, and SW has a huge percentage of international fans. I think it would be difficult to agree on one project as well. Your suggestion for the Atlas is a good one, but I doubt we could reach consensus. On the plus side, I wouldn't have to do any work on it except as maybe supervising editor, so I could keep writing Emer!  ;-)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Andraax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
It's an interesting idea; I'd never heard of it. But apparently no one but US bank account owners can contribute, and SW has a huge percentage of international fans.

"Can people from outside the US pledge to projects?

"Yes! Anyone, anywhere (with a major credit card) can pledge to Kickstarter projects."
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backing%20a%20project#CanPeopFromOutsTheUsPledToProj

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
Yes, as Andraax said, anyone can pledge, only US people/company can start a Kickstarter project tho. Of course the other option is Indiegogo, but I don't know if they allow companies or what the difference really is (except IGG is worldwide in all respects).

And the project doesn't need to be the Atlas either (tho I would want that), it could be for Emer III and maybe add re-prints of Emer I & II as strech rewards or something. As I said, there are many things to do, I just want more SW and I want it in some awesome format with a bunch of extra stuff and as I said, the company can't really lose on it, so why not.

BTW, for further reading, there is an excellent little post about crowdfunding here.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:53:21 PM by TAK »

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 04:13:34 AM »
As a UK company, GCP Ltd isn't eligible to use Kickstarter, though we could use IGG. We've used other means of crowdfunding / distributed patronage in the past long before it became fashionable - the Guild Adventurers were funded using this, checks publication date of TGA#1 (2006).

We're not averse to doing another patronage supported product but at the moment, we don't have a product in mind that needs to go via that route.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:56:28 AM »
Fair enough.
Didn't actually look into GCP too much, always thought you were in the US.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »
It's an interesting idea; I'd never heard of it. But apparently no one but US bank account owners can contribute, and SW has a huge percentage of international fans.

"Can people from outside the US pledge to projects?

"Yes! Anyone, anywhere (with a major credit card) can pledge to Kickstarter projects."
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backing%20a%20project#CanPeopFromOutsTheUsPledToProj

My bad, I got my info from Wikipedia!
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.