Author Topic: Semi-Hybrids?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Semi-Hybrids?
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:10:52 AM »
 I know that RM is about spreading the wealth around in terms of skills and spells but can you think of any good reason there should not be semi-hybrids?

1) The only reason I can think of is that their skill costs would be/might high and they would have a hard time being good ant anything.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Semi-Hybrids?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:17:13 AM »
Exactly. Mixing magic and arms results in someone who is generally no better than mediocre at both. Mixing 2 realms of magic results in someone who is generally no better than mediocre at both. Mixing 2 realms of magic and arms? I'd think achieving mediocrity in all 3 would be challenging, to say the least.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »
...generally no better than mediocre at both.

That's not quite true. You can also get someone who is actually good at both... but within an extremely limited range. A well developed weapon skill or two, but no versatility. A well developed spell or two, but no versatility.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »
There was at least one Semi-Hybrid in the Rolemaster (2) Companions. The Macabre, IIRC. I don't have time to look up which book it was in, but it was one of the numbered RMCs.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:28:50 AM »
Hm, why should their skill costs be higher than those of the existing Semi Spell Users? In current RM the skill costs of Hybrid Spell Users are comparable to the costs of Pure Spell Users. And IMO the current Semi Spell Users are a mix of Pure Spell Users and Pure Arms Users. So if a Semi (Hybrid/Arms) Spell User is a mix of Hybrid Spell User and Pure Arms User, then why should his costs be higher than those of the existing Semi (Pure/Arms) Spell Users?

What I would expect though, is that he might have slightly higher costs for Power Point Development (RMSS/RMFRP) and an even harder time at learning Open & Closed lists, since Hybrid Spell Users have slightly higher costs or more limited access per list than Pure Spell Users. But of course OTOH they would have access to the lists from two realms. From my personal experience with the current Semis though, the last two points will hardly have any influence on the development of such a Semi (Hybrid/Arms) Spell User character, because Semis in our games tend to learn almost only their own Base Lists, simply due to lack of DPs. But then again why have Semi-Hybrids anyway, if the one thing that is interesting about being a Hybrid, i.e. learning spell from the Open & Closed lists from two realms, is only in rare cases going to happen anyway ???

Just my 2 cents

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »
There was at least one Semi-Hybrid in the Rolemaster (2) Companions. The Macabre, IIRC. I don't have time to look up which book it was in, but it was one of the numbered RMCs.
RoCo III, p11. Its author didn't go with any skill problem as he gave them the development costs of the Necromancer. Having created one (with alteration of the spell lists and level bonuses), I'd say that its main problem in RM2 was the cost of its... spell lists! Even more if you play with the Extended Chart provided in the SUC! Other than that, it was an okay profession, not worse anyway than many other, and interesting enough in its concept for its existence to hold a meaning. (OTOH, as written in its description, it's foremost a NPC profession, not a PC one)

From my personal experience with the current Semis though, the last two points will hardly have any influence on the development of such a Semi (Hybrid/Arms) Spell User character, because Semis in our games tend to learn almost only their own Base Lists, simply due to lack of DPs. But then again why have Semi-Hybrids anyway, if the one thing that is interesting about being a Hybrid, i.e. learning spell from the Open & Closed lists from two realms, is only in rare cases going to happen anyway ???
I'd have to agree with this feeling, if one follows the RAW, though an Hybrid can also channel and be channeled spells and PPs from his two Realms, which may have an interest (though probably limited since a semi-user don't usually have enough DPs to spend on Channeling, having to focus on both magical and combat skills, since, well, it's not a very often use skill).
(In my world and game system, though, it's the most important point since I don't class spell lists in Realms other than Arcane -- i.e. you only have base lists, open lists, closed lists and Arcane lists. Your Realm "only" determine the way you get your PP... which is important enough for someone to wish to be an Hybrid)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:20:34 AM by OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol »
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »
I say: Try it out and see how it plays - you could post a few experimental hybrid semis in guild companion and see what people get out of it.