Author Topic: Some Spell Scaling Options  (Read 1754 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Some Spell Scaling Options
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:32:22 AM »
In trying to catch up on posts here, I notice this post in the topic "Rolemaster Product Suggestions" for spell scaling options.  Don't know if anyone else has posted anything about this (I didn't search).  I know that post is a bit old (9 months), but it caused me to remember something I did for magic originating in mine and my wife's world of Udava back in the mid 80s.  Below is a copy and paste of that info.  I have never expounded on it, but here it is for whomever wishes to use it as a launch pad for their own.

Author's Note: The words "power" and "spell" are used interchangably throughout this document.

Stretching The Power

Power users can stretch the range of a spell.  If a spell has a Range other than "touch" or "self," then the casting power user can stretch the range by the same amount by spending a number of power points equal to one-fourth the power points (round up) of the original Glyphos used to cast the spell.

Example, a Mentalist casts the 4th level Shock A spell which has a Range of 100 feet.  Shock A is a 4th level spell, thus the Mentalist had to spend at least 4 PP to cast the spell.  The Mentalist could increase the Range to 200 feet by spending an additional 1 PP.

Each subsequent range stretching, after the first, will cost double the Power Points each level of stretching.  Continuing above example, the Mentalist could stretch the spell to 300 feet by spending an additional 2 PP.  Another increase of 100 feet would cost 4 PP.  Etc.

In summation, using the above example, to cast the spell and stretch it three times would cost 11 PP.  The below table summarizes this cost.  This represents the ability to cast the 4th level Shock A spell with a range of 400 feet.

PP        Notes
4        spell (100 feet)
1        1st stretch (200 feet)
2        2nd stretch (300 feet)
4        3rd stretch (400 feet)
11        total PP

Extending The Power

Power users can extend the duration of spells.  If a spell has a Duration other than C or P (i.e. - #rounds/level, #minutes/level, #hours/level, etc.), then the casting power user can extend the duration by the same amount by spending a number of power points equal to one-fourth the power points (round up) of the original spell.

For example, a Ranger casts the 2nd level Cold Resistance spell which has a duration of 1 min/lvl.  Cold Resistance is a 2nd level spell, thus the Ranger had to spend 2 PP to cast the spell.  The Ranger could increase the duration to 2 min/lvl by spending an additional 1 PP.

Each subsequent duration increase after the first will cost double the Power Points each level of duration extension.  Continuing above example, the Ranger could extend the spell to 3 min/lvl by spending an additional 2 PP.  Another increase of 1 min/lvl would cost 4 PP.  Etc.

In summation, using the above example, to cast the spell and extend it three times would cost 9 PP.  The below table summarizes this cost.  This represents the ability to cast the 2nd level Cold Resistance spell with a duration of 4 min/lvl.

PP        Notes
2        spell (1 min/lvl)
1        1st extension (2 min/lvl)
2        2nd extension (3 min/lvl)
4        3rd extension (4 min/lvl)
9        total PP

Expanding The Power

Power users can expand the effects of a spell.  If a spell has an Area of Effect of a radius or # targets/level, then the casting power user can expand the effects by the same amount by spending a number of power points equal to one-fourth the power points (round up) of the original spell.

Example, a Dabbler casts the 4th level Find Buyer I spell which has an Area of Effect of 500 feet/lvl.  Find Buyer I costs 4 PP to cast the spell.  The Dabbler could increase the Area of Effect to 1000 ft/lvl by spending an additional 1 PP.

Each subsequent effect expansion after the first will cost double the Power Points each level of effect expansion.  Continuing above example, the Dabbler could expand the spell to 1500 ft/lvl by spending an additional 2 PP.  Another increase of 500 ft/lvl would cost 4 PP.  Etc.

In summation, using the above example, to cast the spell and expand it three times would cost 11 PP.  The below table summarizes this cost.  This represents the ability to cast the 4th level Find Buyer I spell with an Area of Effect of 2000ft/lvl.

PP        Notes
4        spell (500 ft/lvl)
1        1st expansion (1000 ft/lvl)
2        2nd expansion (1500 ft/lvl)
4        3rd expansion (2000 ft/lvl)
11        total PP

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
Re: Some Spell Scaling Options
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »
If you have more content, The Guild Companion (http://www.guildcompanion.com/) is a great venue for publication.

Offline mightypawn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
I like the idea, but I think it may be a bit too generous....  starting at 1/2 seems a bit closer.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »
You have seen the Scalable Spells for RMSS/FRP article in TGC back in January? That's another approach of introducing scalable spells for RM.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:53 PM »
If you have more content, The Guild Companion (http://www.guildcompanion.com/) is a great venue for publication.

I do, but I just found the info on an old CD (after searching through about 3000 CDs and DVDs of backups) and was planning to expand on it for an upcoming campaign I am planning on running at Real Role Playing.  The original info was written way back in 1985.  I converted the WordPerfect Document into HTML way back in 1996.  First published it on a website that no longer exists back in 2002.  Currently, I am rewriting the info for use in an upcoming campaign I am planning on running over at Real Role Playing.

I like the idea, but I think it may be a bit too generous....  starting at 1/2 seems a bit closer.

You are probably right on this.  However, in our world of Udava, it was not.  My wife was very fond of Tolkeinesque attacks (like 100 urak-hai attacking an 8 member PC party (including me), like the closing scenes in the movie Fellowship of the Ring).  Thus, I created a system that made power users very powerful, but they were also exceptionally rare.  Since I am now looking over this info for the first time in 8+ years, I am also rewriting it.

You have seen the Scalable Spells for RMSS/FRP article in TGC back in January? That's another approach of introducing scalable spells for RM.

No.  I have never seen it.  Will download it and look it over.  At first glimpse, it looks very promising...  Thanks for the link.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:39:23 AM »
We do a version of scalable spells. Works pretty good and is a great way to drain the PC's of PP's.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"