Author Topic: Emer III  (Read 25405 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Emer III
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 08:35:07 AM »
Stop reading this thread Terry and get back to work on the manuscript!

I have a brother-in-law that is a patent lawyer who says that sometimes you need to do some copy work in order to let you mind shut down for a while and get the juices flowing again. I fully believe this.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:26 AM »
you sound like my editor! It doesn't take me ALL that long to check the boards and the SW FB page. Oh and I'm working on Shadowstone today, then back to Emer, having been inspired by watching Jurassic Park III (I don't know why, but I hated the second movie, but still love I and III).

"If Sue [T Rex] went wild, I could scarce­ly imag­ine the po­ten­tial car­nage she could in­flict. I mean, good grief. Look at all the senseless victims of Jurassic Park II" Harry Dresden, Dead Beat.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 09:37:39 AM »
you sound like my editor! It doesn't take me ALL that long to check the boards and the SW FB page. Oh and I'm working on Shadowstone today, then back to Emer, having been inspired by watching Jurassic Park III (I don't know why, but I hated the second movie, but still love I and III).

"If Sue [T Rex] went wild, I could scarce­ly imag­ine the po­ten­tial car­nage she could in­flict. I mean, good grief. Look at all the senseless victims of Jurassic Park II" Harry Dresden, Dead Beat.

You know part of what frustrated me about JP II (and I wonder if this was intentional on John Williams' part) the majestic theme would never quite get started, it would kind of die partway through, just like the movie was all about corrupt people trying to take the dinos for money. So much of what I loved about these movies and the Star Wars was William's incredible music. When we first saw the dinosaur and the soaring theme.

Hammond for all his fault did have a vision. And that came back in movie III, where they appreciated the dinosaurs "Billy was right."
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2011, 08:16:06 AM »
LOL you sound like my editor! It doesn't take me ALL that long to check the boards and the SW FB page. Oh and I'm working on Shadowstone today, then back to Emer, having been inspired by watching Jurassic Park III (I don't know why, but I hated the second movie, but still love I and III).

Does your editor send you the MP3 of "Where There is a Whip There is a Way" When "they" want you to really get back to it?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 05:45:45 AM »
Ugh! It's like Xa-ar... I look back at Emer I and think, wow there was so much more to tell. And now in III, I go deeper and deeper and part of me says, 'okay enough about the deadly vines, how about the evil city and all the Jinteni ruins?' Priorities! Someone smack me.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2011, 07:52:08 AM »
One editorial smack :-)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2012, 04:45:41 AM »
Hi, it has been a couple of months away from here. I feel like Andraax recovering his sanity and remembering to come here and see how things are.  :Joker2:

But it seems that there are no significant changes....

There are any news about Emer III? A few months more? Before the end of the year?

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2012, 07:14:30 AM »
Will Emer III be playable for those of us whom never played Emer I and II? Will it "stand on it's own legs", as we say in Norwegian?

(we are currently playing through Xa-ar, which is great fun!)
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2012, 07:21:48 AM »
Will Emer III be playable for those of us whom never played Emer I and II? Will it "stand on it's own legs", as we say in Norwegian?

(we are currently playing through Xa-ar, which is great fun!)

Yes. It should do.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Keen_Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2012, 09:48:45 PM »
Quite looking forward to seeing more of shadow world. I think I have all the old products here and even my personally printed large scale map (thanks again to the writer for sending me the file years ago)

Always enjoyed the setting especially the relationship between the world and the beings on the moons.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2012, 04:54:27 AM »
Emer III is huge, so we have to make some choices as to what is in the first book and what comes later. There is of course an overview with lots of new flora/fauna, local timeline updates. Those are critical. Then there are TWO Ahrenreth citadels, the lost city of the Jinteni now partially occupied by Schrek, but much of it unexplored. And the current Isle of Jade, The Isle(s) of Glass, and so much more. All together it could be well over 200 pages with layouts and that is impractical. Discuss.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2012, 06:07:47 AM »
I'm a fan of huge tomes. What is the problem with 200+ pages? The RuneQuest 6 book I just bought has 456 and the HeroQuest books all have over 400 pages.

Why is there a problem with 200+ pages?

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2012, 06:22:12 AM »
Print on demand of huge tomes is impractical... As well as sending them via snail mail.

If you extract the two Ahrenreth citadels ( and put them in a "Ahrenreth Citadel Book" ) how much pages would it cut ?

514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »
Well, I also am fine with large books. Don't know about the print on demand being a problem as I ordered my Earthdawn books from one, and they are huge. (And just fine as far as books go.) I get books (snail)mailed to me all the time, no problem.

Perhaps, the specific map booklets can be different files, but part of the same purchase. So, you order it all as one product, but the printing is in 2 books, maybe with a cool folder. (I like cool folders with neat art and stuff on them. Not sure what problems that may fix or cause, as I am not in the printing/publishing business.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »
How big are Ahrenreth citadels? Would they individually make good "Fortresses" books, or could they be instead added to an Ahrenreth sourcebook?

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2012, 11:32:47 AM »
What about the 2 Islands as a separate book?

Maybe include ALL Islands of Emer as a separate book - not just limited to the S.E. of Emer.

Maybe ALL Islands of Kulthea - not just the Emer ones?

Same with the Ahrenreth Citadels but again include ALL of them as a separate book?
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »
Print on demand of huge tomes is impractical... As well as sending them via snail mail.

If you extract the two Ahrenreth citadels ( and put them in a "Ahrenreth Citadel Book" ) how much pages would it cut ?

No, PoD can easily handle 200-450 pages (at least)! That couldn't be the problem.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2012, 05:01:19 AM »

No, PoD can easily handle 200-450 pages (at least)! That couldn't be the problem.

My impression is that, since all future books will be full-color, they get very expensive. There is also the practicality of me just getting the thing done. Unfortunately, unlike my fiction, where I can just sit down and plow along the narrative from point A to B, I have always tended to jump around on a module to the section that piques my interest that day. So Emer III (not counting layouts, many of which are sketched out, or maps, or layouts) text alone, is already heading towards 150+ pages. Emer I and II were 132 pp each total with maps and layouts and illustrations. And as it is now, it is lots of sections which are MOSTLY done, a few pretty much done, and a few (namely the 2 Ahrenreth Citadels) which I have just started to delve into. There is also the Isle of Jade, not one but TWO Isles of Glass (oooh!). An alternative would be to split it off geographically, but that makes less sense to me, since the whole area is so interconnected. More logical perhaps to separate the high-powered Ahrenreth places, which are unlikely to be visited except by the most powerful PCs. Discuss!  ;)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2012, 06:28:48 AM »
...and there'll hopefully be a LOT of illustrations. :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2012, 07:12:28 AM »
More logical perhaps to separate the high-powered Ahrenreth places, which are unlikely to be visited except by the most powerful PCs. Discuss!  ;)

Individual Fortress books for the citadels, or have them as part of an Ahrenreth sourcebook.

EDIT: Okay, that's actually what I posted earlier in the thread.