Author Topic: Questions related to spitting cobras  (Read 1526 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Questions related to spitting cobras
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »
Part of my issue: How would you guys handle hit locations for spitting cobras?

For that poison, it's only effective if in the eyes. So would the RR of the defender handle it? You could just assume that a high RR (Qu bonus may apply) avoided the poison and a low roll did not.

OK, now a caster turns into a spitting cobra. They should be able to apply a Racial Attacks-Spitting bonus, if any. That's what the skill is for.. but then I need a different mechanic from the one above. Something that involves OB and Racial Attacks. The same can be said for any kind of skilled attack by a creature in this manner; Amalgam Law modified Lizardmen, that can now spit a poison, etc..

My main point: I have a sect of evil priests that can generate a paralyzing expectorate. From their original stats, the effluent must strike and the affected must fail a save (RR). The area stuck is useless for a short duration.. (Converted from D&D, Priests of Iuz- 1st lvl Spell/Power)
In game terms, Priests must
1. cast the spell successfully
2. actually hit with it (implies Racial Attack or Directed Spell bonus)
3. If struck, the opponent must make an RR to determine how much they are affected.

Problems:
1. If I use the Dir. Spell/Racial Attack bonus, it could just add to the Basic Spell Attack Table. This table only goes to 95, so it might be a waste to try and use all those developed Ranks of Dir. Spell/Racial Attack. Racial Attacks are pretty expensive to develop!
2. Treating it as a basic spell, doesn't take into account "hit location".
Area struck is very important to how much a target is paralyzed. Hit in the off-hand might not matter as much as being hit on the leg or head!
3. Attacking on the sling table would handle hit locations, and crits could be "grappling"... or crits are ignored and target makes an RR vs poison.

An easier way to go about the whole thing, would be just to have the spell cause %Act reduction of 1/RR fail. This would be similar to the old (RM) Web Spell. Priest casts the spell and Target makes an RR. Fail your RR by 20 and you have a -20%Act for the duration. Using this simple method, I might allow Qu bonus to modify the RR.

Any thoughts?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Questions related to spitting cobras
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »
Cross version, but the RMC Spitting cobra is:

Level RR + Qu Vs Cobra level to avoid getting hit in the eyes and blinded 1-10 rounds (and then needing to make the usual cascading RR vs Nerve Poison).

RMSS wise that would be Qux3

Could easily adapt that to a Base Spell attack, use the mentalism columns since only helmet matters there, and in this instance, only helmet matters. . .use "Metal Helmet" for a closed helmet, use "Leather Helmet" for an open Helmet, and "No helmet" for, well, no helmet.

Then you can use the modifier as a modifier to a RR + QUx3 for the target vs getting hit in the eye and blinded. . .either 1-10 rounds, or you can do 1 round per 10% failed.

Spitting Cobra venom in the eyes can kill you a nerve poison RR with poison bonus as normal would seem to then be appropriate.

In a fight environment, spitting cobras would be nasty, since spitting into open wounds would be as good as in the eyes if not better.

If you allow a bonus skill to this attack, then I'd consider using the defender's DB rather than the QUx3.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »
Marc R,
That is very helpful, thanks a lot! I didn't have the RMC cobra stats but that is a good start.
Mentalism column on BSA table is a good idea.

Still working on getting the kinks out of these expectorate Priest Powers.

You did give me a wicked idea for a new snake staff magic item.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:56:09 AM »
 Does it have to hit bare flesh? Or just covered areas? IMHO the more clothing they are wearing they better the save.

Also the mentaalism helm spell provides shield around the persons head. I have ruled that eye attacks such as the spitting poison cannot get through the helm spell.

I would also develop a table for the hit locations with a bonus for the type of crit if available for the attack. Unfortunately an extra roll.
 I would also have it be either an racial attack (yes it is expensive bit IMHO it is very powerful also) or an innate ability with some drawbacks and/or a very high TP value.

Probably does not help a lot.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:36:15 PM »
I think it needs to hit broken skin or membrane, merely getting splashed on the arm won't work, it needs to go into a cut, into your nose or mouth, or into your eyes.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:00:32 PM »
I think it needs to hit broken skin or membrane, merely getting splashed on the arm won't work, it needs to go into a cut, into your nose or mouth, or into your eyes.

I agree with that for the Spitting Cobra and I also can say that back in the day (AD&D the 80's) when I went strait by the book and if it said just a plain RR. I did a plain RR.
 Now that I think more for myself I tend to tweak things more and ask questions of the players for events and encounters. I modify on the fly. Some like it and some do not. Almost all think I am fair on my rulings.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
Thank you Mark R and markc!
All comments are helpful and welcome.

Considering splash or internal poison exposure is a good thing. The party Magent will love to play with this poison once it is introduced. As with all GM's, everything I give the opposition has a good chance of making it's way to the PC's, eventually.

Initially, the Priest spell only allowed a paralyzing expectorate; area struck becomes numb and useless for a few rnds. But actually giving them a snake poison attack is even nastier!
I should develop this into an entire List... start with a sodium channel blocker like fluid that affects area struck (hand, leg, arm) at 1st lvl and eventually Mass Spittle, Withering Spittle, Lord Spit...? Yeah, they're nasty.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 04:17:13 PM »
The dreaded "Spit True"

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:44:20 PM »
You could let them spit on their weapons to poison them. That would keep much of the character of the original idea, but be simple to implement.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
IMHO spit poison cloud true would be a great spell or ability. .....Just not against my PC please. And do not forget the specials poison "Race" only that drops all the dwarves or elves in the group and everyone else is looking around to see just what is going on.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.