Author Topic: Should Profession "Magic" bonuses give extra PP if PP Dev is used?  (Read 653 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I am using the ruleset in fantasy grounds and I have the PP Dev automation turned on, and I noticed that it adds the Magic Skill category profession bonus to the Power Points. Is this right? Even though it is a Magic skill category, I don't see it mentioned in the formula for calculating PP in the rules when PP Dev option is used.

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Should Profession "Magic" bonuses give extra PP if PP Dev is used?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 02:35:12 AM »
You are correct there is no mention of adding a level bonus to developed power points.

There is no mention of level in the developed PP formula either.

I see two main options:
- cancel level bonuses for developed PP's
- add level bonus to PP total
e crits all round

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 01:35:00 AM »
Suddenly, the dearth of PPs in RM2/RMC for pure and hybrid spell casters is less of a problem :)

I'm not sure the original designers intended it that way, but it is an interesting take. Having a class bonus to magic skills suddenly makes you a more durable spell caster, which, in a way, makes sense. I never did it that way when I was using RM2, but now it is mentioned, I can't help thinking I might have been wrong all along :P

The only thing to monitor, I guess, is the impact of PP multipliers, especially high multiplier ones. PP multipliers are a foundation of magical power increase in RM2 (something that has been corrected in later versions), and the multiplier scale is wider because of it. But adding the level bonuses to the PP total before the multiplier applies could be unbalanced at high level bonus and high multiplier value. A possible workaround could be to have a cap on PPs the same as there is a cap on Concussion Hits, and this would apply to the total PP *after multipliers*, which would keep them in a manageable range (and can be tailored to a campaign magic level). Which, incidentally, means that PP multipliers would lose some of their interest for high level mages (because it would bring the PP total over the cap), whereas spell adders would still be worthwhile.

Offline deer_buster

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 01:52:31 PM »
Table 09-08 for Option 23.2 - EXPANDED LEVEL BONUSES FOR PROFESSIONS (RMSS CONVERSION FRIENDLY), lists level bonus for PP Development.  Do you have Option 23.2 selected for ChL #23 Level Bonus Grouping?

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 12:07:53 PM »
PPDev was a skill-based Power Point Multiplier to me.  Nothing less.

I never allowed the skill in my old games as I wanted the Temp Stat and item PP Multis to be found in the game world vs given away for free and costing already scarce DP to SpellUsers.

Your games will vary, of course, but that was my take of old. 🍻

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 12:31:50 PM »
PPDev was a skill-based Power Point Multiplier to me.  Nothing less.

I never allowed the skill in my old games as I wanted the Temp Stat and item PP Multis to be found in the game world vs given away for free and costing already scarce DP to SpellUsers.

Your games will vary, of course, but that was my take of old. 🍻
Oh, I wouldn't have used the PP development. Just add the (bonus per level)*(character level) to the base PP number.

I've always thought that casters in RM2 did not have enough PPs. Using the level bonus this way is a step in the right direction.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 05:42:54 AM »
interesting.

in RoCo2 page 103 PP dev is listed under the skills level bonus can be applied to if used.

I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 09:13:20 PM »
Ignoring Classic, RM2 II RAW all professions are usually stuck at 1 rank per level for PPD. So it is just costing spell users DP to have much the same PPs as per level rule.

RM2 II level bonuses make the skill more viable given the DP costs.

However, Semi’s who don’t get the Magical level bonus are paying DPs but falling behind on PPs.

I think it would be best to not use PPD (if that is possible in FG) and use per level rule instead due to the negative impact on DP expenditure, especially on those Semi’s who don’t get the level bonus.
e crits all round