Author Topic: IYO Which realm is better for Semi?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
IYO Which realm is better for Semi?
« on: March 17, 2010, 05:43:06 PM »
 If you have 20 PC's of various levels 1-10 which do you think would be the strongest Semi's in your game? Semi Channeling? Semi Essence or Semi Mentalism?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: IYO Which realm is better for Semi?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »
It all boils down to your style of play and your goals.
No one is necessary better than any other.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
I was more interested in what you would pick in your game and maybe even why?
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:27:27 AM »
Given that a Semi is generally going to have Base lists and little to nothing else, Realm isn't so important (except that Mentalism is ideal if you want to run around in heavy armor). Of all types, Realm means least to the Semis.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 01:59:49 AM »
Mentalism. I only use core material and that makes them the only caster that can heal, defend and attack with their spells.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 03:05:09 AM »
I was more interested in what you would pick in your game and maybe even why?
MDC

I could go either way. My personal favorites are usually mentalism but I could still go either way.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 03:15:33 AM »
My first thought was mentalism as well, as they may wear armour, have healing spells, and has a variety of attack and utility spells.

Interesting that people thus far seem to agree on this..
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »
If you use the transcendence skill I would go essence as it is the most diverse realm. If not I would go mentalism because of their ability to wear armor. IT really all depends on your setting and what companions and optional rules you use. if you're using RoCo II and the unified skill system I would say warrior mage because of the diversity in skill focus and spell abilities making it possible for numerous characters to be different even with the same profession.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »
Just in case no-one else has asked: Why all these questions about our preferences? You doing a survey, markc? (just wondering about your wondering... :D)

As for this thread's question: It depends upon what I want to play at the time. Right now I want to play an Armsman, so it would be mentalism. I do generally like the mentalism lists more than the others due to their quicker benefits for semi's and even arms users (a few levels of Anticipations is fantastic for staying alive).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 01:52:27 PM »
RandalThor;
 I was just wondering myself as well as thought it was a broad issue that many people could post on. I have had these questions on my mind for a while but wanted to wait until a low point in posting to propose the questions.
 So just personal curiosity as I know there are many different types of games out there and IMO sometimes one specific option in PC gen is better for GM's games.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 04:03:15 PM »
Usually mentalism, you can carry some armor except helm, and the open lists are useful.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 02:38:59 AM »
I'd go with Magents & Armsmaster vs the other realms personally, master strategists coupled with assassins is a fairly nasty combo, compared to what other realms can achieve as semis.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:20:14 AM »
I like the Toaist Monk, Dabbler and Magent.  So either Ess or Ment.  However, my last semi was a Paladin, DOH.

My mentalist users do not typically wear armor.  For one, our games are set mostly in cities/towns, so armor types tend to be 1, 2, 5-7, with an occosional 9 or 13 thrown in.  Second, cities and town authorities often frown upon heavily armored citizens, or even outlaw it.  For example, a standard law is no blade larger than a knife/dagger may be carried.  Not a big deal really since most play revolves around discourse.  Brawls and martial arts cover the fighting.  These restrictions play into the Magent and Dabblers strengths, particularly from a character design point of view.  One unarmed skill and one catagory of with NO need to train armor skills/catagories leaves more DP for spells, power points and social/athletic/lore skills and LANGUAGES, a weapon all their own in an urban setting.

Choice does depend on state of mond for me too.  Do I want to be the talented underachiever who ran the streets and skipped out of the acedemy (dabbler), or perhaps the rich noble with talent and lack of dicipline who is drawn to the arcane (dabbler again)?  Maybe an ex soldier/city guard turned ruthless vigilanty after his friends were slaughtered and the local nobles did nothing to bring the guilty to justice (Magent)?   

I like the SKILL SET of the Bard, but just hate his spell list. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.