Author Topic: Open Source Adventure  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Ido Tamir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Open Source Adventure
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:46:41 AM »
Hi,

Recent threads gave me an idea - why not create an RM adventure using an Open Source Methodology?
We can start with a really small project, something like a side quest with 4-6 scenes (or encounters).

We can assign a small team of contributors, spend a day or two on the plot (should be something simple but entertaining), and get each contributor to fill in the details for one encounter. We can even make it as loosely coupled as possible to the rules (so that we won't break any law of copyright), just describing the scene, the obstacles the PCs are to overcome, the interesting features of the area etc, without going into details of NPC / Monster statistics.

Then, when the draft is complete (should be a 5-8 pages document, nothing more), we can upload it to ICE Vault, or maybe even get someone from ICE going over it, making in a semi-official..
We could do it in e-mails or over the forums.

ICE - can we (the users of this forum) pull this off without any copyright issue?
Any advice or comment?

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
Re: Open Source Adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 04:51:37 AM »
I'm interested in working on it.
Which system did you have in mind though?
Before the gods of hell sentence you to die
remember well my friend a warlord never cries.

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:12:26 AM »
use the Creative Commons.

Rolemaster is a game that promotes Derivative Work by it's nature.  This is a great way to show that a Roleplaying Game is derivative by it's very nature.  A Creative Commons: Share-share alike, allowing for derivative works but not allowing publishing for gain license is what is needed here.

It's a great experiment if done right.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:23:14 AM »
ICE - can we (the users of this forum) pull this off without any copyright issue?

As a fan-created work, uploaded to the Vault, there is no issues.

Anything else, would likely require a license (final determination on that would be up to Bruce, not me).

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:50:26 AM »
So how would it be, if we'd write that adventure in the new, soon to be opened Cyradon wiki?
We could set it in that world and with enough collaborators we could stat it up for all ICE systems.

Now who would be interested in working on such a project?

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »
So how would it be, if we'd write that adventure in the new, soon to be opened Cyradon wiki?
We could set it in that world and with enough collaborators we could stat it up for all ICE systems.

Now who would be interested in working on such a project?

Not I.  I'm working on my own project after I get back from Flaming Gorge this weekend.  And yep, it's something original.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:07:28 AM »
We can even make it as loosely coupled as possible to the rules (so that we won't break any law of copyright), just describing the scene, the obstacles the PCs are to overcome, the interesting features of the area etc, without going into details of NPC / Monster statistics.
Personally I am fan adventure modules that provide NPC stats, maneuver difficulties etc. for the system I use. I could imagine that others who would like to GM such a fan-created module might feel the same. So I'd suggest to provide such stats (in whatever way, as appendix, as sidebar on the page etc.). I'd also be willing to create such stats for HARP and RMSS for the module, according to the given descriptions.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:10:28 AM »

Don't know -- that is an interesting question.  ;D

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:13:29 AM »

Don't know -- that is an interesting question.  ;D

I just thought of the advantages:

[lis]
    • Wikis are ideally suited for collaborative work
    • More adventures for Cyradon are definitely a good thing
    • the finished adventure could just remain in the wiki or we could make a pdf for the vault out of it [/l]
    This all depends on how the wiki will be set up and if ICE wants fans to do that kind of thing in the Cyradon wiki.

Offline Ido Tamir

• Neophyte
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »
    I don't mind the system. As I said, we should probably concentrate on the story and less on the stats, so other GMs can have the option to convert the adventure to their campaign / system.

But - Cyradon is a viable starting point, and HARP is cool, so we could start there.

So, we have Raf Blutaxt & Ecthelion (and myself). Anyone else?

Feel free to e-mail me. I will post the idea I'm considering so you can comment and improve it.

Offline Ido Tamir

• Neophyte
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 03:26:16 PM »
    Ok - here is the basic (very basic) plot line:

The PCs are approached by a merchant who wants them to help him locate an adventurer. The adventurer sold the merchant an exotic figurine he found in a remote island. Two days after the sale, a group of outlanders came into the merchant's store and told him that their Gengorell - their holy protector - was stolen and brought to his shop. They want it back. The merchant refused, and the outlanders cursed him, telling him that the spirits will haunt his house until the figurine is returned to them. They then left the shop.
    The night after the outlanders visit, strange noises emerged from the merchant attic. He went up to check, but found nothing...
    He dismissed it and returned to bed, only to be waken again by the same noises. This time, when he went up, he found on his attic floor wet footmarks, as if someone drenched with water walked there...

Scared, he tried to locate the outlanders, but could not find them. He then turned to the PCs. He wants them to locate he adventurer who sold him the figurine and learn whatever they can about those outlanders he took the figurine from. Then, they are to locate them and return the figurine to their hands. If the PCs manage to get the merchant's gold from the adventurer, they will recieve a bonus for their efforts.

The above is player background (to be roleplayed of course as part of the adventure). The GM's background will be posted later on.

Comments? Ideas? Anyone with Cyradon Knowledge cares to offer a location for the adventure?

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    • I'm rather axecentric
    « Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 03:48:04 PM »
    Nice plot hook!

So maybe I should reread Cyradon and not Day after Ragnarok ;)