Author Topic: The Big Score, and some questions.  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The Big Score, and some questions.
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 02:34:46 PM »
By 'breaking the charts' I mean that with basic RM2, you usually didn't have stat mods to the OB greater than 25. With RMCI background options, your ST mods could get into the 60's and give much higher OB, resulting in a lot more combat results over the 150 max.   This gives rise to discussions on how to "fix the problem". broken charts.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, I do agree that those charts are overpowered, and I do not use them in my games because of that. So point taken.

Cheers
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 10:59:38 PM »
Well so far, I have decided to use the RM2 method of character generation.  I.e., the 20 rolls to get temporaries and potentials, make the prerequisites 90.  I also like the older stat gain rolls.

I've decided how to thin down the skill and category lists, but I'm not too certain how balanced it is.  Plus with fewer choices, I need to decide how to reduce DP's.

The biggest changes I've made in the skill list for my own use has been to consolidate a few of the categories (artistic categories don't need to be separate in my campaign, for example).  And I've replaced the majority of the awareness skills with a single perception skill.  Other than that, I'm looking around for more ideas.  

On the one hand, I feel I should not tweak so much.  If I have a problem with the rules, I should go find a set that works for me better.  On the other hand, no system I play ever goes un-tweaked, so RM should not be any different.  :)

P.S. Thanks Rasyr, for the links.  I'll probably look through them.  I'm digging through the companions right now, though (all but companion IV, it seems to be the only one I don't have, even after the big score...).  And as far as combat styles go...I was one of the few that didn't find much of use in the combat companion.  thanks, though.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 11:06:53 PM »
I just thought of something though.  If we replace the prerequisites with 90's by default...that makes it a heck of a lot easier to get into the arcane professions.  Hmmm...
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.