Author Topic: How do mages survive?  (Read 6682 times)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: How do mages survive?
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 02:45:52 AM »
You hit the guy in the starry robes before the armored fighter because whether he's powerful or not, he's still a softer target and taking him out makes it safer to take on the fighter. Even 1st level spell-casters have access to useful support spells. You especially hit the spell-casters first if you attack with surprise. You may only have one chance to take them down before they get up defensive spells or hit you with massive firepower. Risk management says you take out the glass cannon first, because it is glass as much as because it is a cannon. You probably can't take out the tank immediately and it is better to be fighting fewer foes.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 04:13:09 AM »
Funny thing is, if the robed guy is a seer, an unarmored merchant or similarly unperilous character, the bad guys suddenly choose to attack the armored fighters again. Mostly, from my experience, it is the meta-knowlegde of the GM that guides the bad guys towards the targets to attack - and that should not be the case! So better let the dice select the target to attack.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 04:39:13 AM »
Run as fast as your little legs can carry you.
Jokes aside it's always best to get out of harms way.
Not fighting is always better than fighting.
Keep the muscles between you and the pointy things.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2009, 09:07:10 AM »
Most important rule to survive as a low level mage:

Do not fight kitty cats! If a house cat comes at you, just run!
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »
(damned tiny criticals!)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »
I can remember the first time I saw a housecat pic on the chart and thought, huh?

It's underestimating animals that really gives them an advantage.

Friends wife was scratched pretty bad by their cat, red streaks running up her arm, hospital time, the whole nine yards.. really awful!

A buddy playing a Monk, told me about 2 bluejays he had as companions. I thought "liability" until the other players told me about about how effective the "tiny's" were and how hard the jays were to hit!

Familiars help Mages!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"