Author Topic: Best RM Tactical Sequence  (Read 3446 times)

giulio.trimarco

Best RM Tactical Sequence
« on: May 14, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »
which Tactical Sequence do you use (and I assume is the best for you)?

From whatever RM version.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Best RM Tactical Sequence
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 09:59:04 AM »
Personally, I like the one from RMC/X the best, though I would rather use it with shorter rounds.  ;D

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:33:57 PM »
IMHO the snap, normal and deliberate from RMSS is the best one around. It is a good compromise of playspeed and the details of the CEATs. If not using the RMSS one I would probably go for CEATS2.
/Pa Staav

giulio.trimarco

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 02:48:47 PM »
CEATS what's this?

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »
CEATs originally came from one of the RM2 companions...the version I used for some time was CEATs2  described at
http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/1999/jul/ceatsiif.html
/Pa Staav

Offline Skarsgard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
I too am a fan of the snap, normal and deliberate phases from RMFRP. It allows detail and speed.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:37:34 AM »
I like the Snap, Normal & Deliberate options as well.  It's a feature/concept you don't see in many games.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 02:20:10 PM »
I use a floating initiative/OB bonus were you sacrifice OB to add to Initiative.  But, that is based on the Snap, Normal, Deliberate action phase.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Mhairtrym

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 02:27:24 PM »
There was a ton of options in RM2, I liked the one listed in Companion VI.  But when I RMSS came out I found that one to be a nice balance with the snap, normal deliberate phases.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:19:02 PM »
Witchking20k,
That sounds pretty neat.
If I can pull on your coat for a minute....

What is the point cost? 1:1?
Do you still role?
Are different weapons affected... well differently? Say Jorge Toebitter has a higher OB than Sculldu Gary.
Mr. Gary has a really quick dagger and The Honorable Toebitter a 2-handed sword....
If faster "can be" less accurate, does Adrenal Speed/ Haste/etc give OB penalties?
Are the calls coming from inside the house?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »
The RMSS system is mostly very good, there's a few things I'd tweak like bringing the % activity for melee attacks to 50% so you could attempt multiple attacks.

One nice thing about it is how easy it is to ignore it if you want to.  The game doesn't hinge on people being able to take snap actions.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 03:23:27 AM »
I use the RMSSS/RMFRP (snap, normal and deliberate) modified.

We don't apply the bonus modifiers for snap or deliberate, as it is supposed the time is contiguos, we use them for 'actions ordering', I will try to explain it:

You know that we have % activity for any phase, 20% snap, 80% normal and the rest for deliberate, well then it is a good method to use that for evade initiative rolls.
Example: 2 foes want to attack, 1 have its weapon drawn and the other not, as draw weapon (with no use of skill) takes at least 20% activity, then it is clear, the attack for this one need to wait until normal phase, so the prepared one attack first with no need of initiative.

Then, the round tactical sequence is:

- Each player announce their actions, there is no need to say explicit "in snap I...int normal I...in deliberate I...", as the actions are splitted by activity automatically and there is no bonus.

- Split the actions by activity.

- Roll for initiative only when exists confrontation, like simultaneous attacks between foes, 2 attacks against the same target if the order is important (if you give XPs to the group instead by character there is no need as it is not important who kills the target, not?), it is easy determine when there is confrontation.

About actions announcement, a good example is: "I draw my weapon, run against X foe and attack it", easy, right? (with no need of "in snap...").
So, automatically, the charactern draws the weapon in snap phase, moves in normal phase and if there is enough activity attacks in normal phase too (as you need 60% activity for attack).

Another good example of this could be: "I move to X distance and cast this instantaneous spell". Well, it is an instantaneous spell, but it has limited range (or you want to be nearer for BAR), imagine that caster need to move with his 80%+ activity, although it is an instantaneous spell, he cast it in deliberate phase, so it is the last of all actions (after all attacks and others in snap or normal phases).

About spells we don't use the penalty for cast spells in snap phase (remember in this system the time is like continuous), so the same for all other is applied to spells, they takes 75%, so all other actions are made in normal (we have only 5% in normal phase) or deliberate phase.

See that an attack can takes 100% activity but if you do it at beginning, there is no need to wait until deliberate phase, so for spells is the same, there is no preference for one, all actions with the same treat.
One exception, instantaneous spells, they can be used earlier than all other actions, as it is their purpose. If you think it can give advantage, then apply it only to defense and support spells, and use initiative only for attack instantaneous spells. If you use initiative for defense instantaneous spells surely you will destroy their usefulness or purpose.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:32:13 AM by Dark Schneider »

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 03:29:08 AM »
Don't know? I think it's the RMC variant?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 03:29:54 AM »
RMSS snap/normal/deliberate actions.  Not by the book, but still good.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 04:44:07 AM »
I like the Snap, Normal & Deliberate options as well.  It's a feature/concept you don't see in many games.

jolt

+1 for Snap, Normal, Deliberate.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 06:45:07 AM »
PCs have an initiative stat based on IN/QU/SD, and declare up to +25/-25 in mods between their OB and initiative.  Then roll D100 for initiative.  So to get a quick shot in you would use +25 initiative, and be penalized -25 OB.   There is an article in the Guild Companion somewhere....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »
I go for simplicity there, with an Initiative roll, which is a non-OER added to:

• the Initiative basic score (QU stat + QU bonus for physical actions, SD stat + SD bonus + 40 for mental actions/spells),
  • the weapon speed modifier (Arms Companion, p48),
  • an armour modifier (result of a MM roll for the armour worn - 100),
  • a bonus of 50 if an instant spell is cast,
  • a bonus of 35 on the round of effect of a spell of class > I,
  • a bonus if Iaijutsu is successfully used,
  • a bonus of 50 for each non-simultaneous attack over 2.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.