Author Topic: Introducing people to Rolemaster  (Read 5250 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Introducing people to Rolemaster
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:30:42 PM »
What Im looking for is people who have stories of introducing RM (any version) to people who havent played it before.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Introducing people to Rolemaster
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »
I have just a humerous aside, but it does point to a potential problem.

Bringing someone over from HERO to RM2:

"What do you mean, perception is a skill?!?"

Noobs are sometimes easier, as they have no pre-conceptions that get them wrong footed on basic mechanics, like perception being a skill, rather than a stat.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:49:46 AM »
"Body Development and Maneuver in Armor!?! I dont have anything in that! I thought you just gained HP each lvl automaticly and could wear any armor as a fighter, just like in DnD"

"A few orcs you say? Pah! Easy I charge! ... What do you mean the chop me to pieces??? These are ORCS! They are suppose to be FODDER!"
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:28:41 AM »

"You mean I have to Buy My chance to hit? And My thieves Skills Too??!?!?! Don't I get any abilities with my class automatically?"
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:38:52 AM »
Heh. . .the frowns around the table when you decide your 10th level fighter can charge the 5 city guardsmen with leveled crossbows. . .

The whole frame of mind of "Perhaps it's best to go with those nice men with the crossbows" or "Runaway!" is sometimes a hard one to lay into people's head's the first few times.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:49:50 AM »
"Can I save here and reload in case something goes wrong?"

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 04:32:52 PM »
When I have to learn D&D players rolemaster, I usually have a big sign printet out with the words "Hits doesn't kill, Criticals kills!"

(I also make a mock combat to show players the deadliness of distance weapons.. it never fails to shock the playes :) )
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »
 I almost allways say that it is possible for almost any person to kill any other person with openeded rolls. As well as explain to them hoe the subconscous helaing spells work for thoes who have the list. ie it is almost a prerequizit to chop the head off anyone you remotely think is a channeling user. Or they are likely to come back at a later point to get you. And they will not be as nice to your unconscous body as you were to thiers.

<DC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 07:10:37 PM »
I find that giving them a copy of their weapon chart with the crits on the back tends to produce a great deal of caution.  But that's nothing like the caution that occurs after the first time they see my wife's character take a lethal crit.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 07:16:53 PM »
Basically, you should;

Know the system, especially character gen rules, inside and out.

Develop the PC with the player every step of the way, including skill selection.  I have a skill sheet that I precreate listing all the skills I allow/use in the game, yet I have blank spots, so new skills can be added (such as for lores).  I also let it be known new skills can be created (such as Lore-Magical Beast).

Over view and rubber stamp everything.

Offer firm direction.  Even in RM2, a beginner is prone to over stretch a level one PC and end up with a total milktoast.

Make sure the PC is good at something, preferably what the player wants to be good at.  This requires good communication between player and GM.

You do not need a sample combat (I hardly ever ran one because while I like a good rpg fight, the strength of the game isn't JUST combat and I never want to give the ole ADnD idea that might solves everything), but you do need to stress to players that RM attempts to simulate realistic combat.  I often point my finger at a player and tell them to pretend this is a machine gun then ask who wants to charge me?  How many think they would just suffer a few hit points and then get to hit back?  What if it was a single shot shotgun?  Who is willing to die so the others may kill the foe?  They will get the point.

When the games start, coddle them a little, but DO NOT LET THEM KNOW IT.  That first fight can be a cake walk and still show just how lethal combat really is.  Remember, it isnt the damge you do to them, but rather every time you pick up the dice to roll against them...every player feels that tension at that moment, and in RM, with maining and instant death right around the corner, that feeling is intensified.  It is the roll, or the knowledge of the roll can portend that really matters, often far more than the results.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 07:47:41 PM »
 Yamma,
 Well said.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Kalu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 02:40:45 AM »
When the games start, coddle them a little, but DO NOT LET THEM KNOW IT. That first fight can be a cake walk and still show just how lethal combat really is. Remember, it isnt the damge you do to them, but rather every time you pick up the dice to roll against them...
You could always have something bad happen to a "superior" NPC just to prove the point that nobody is invincible. The veteran adventurer who has been helping the group get settled, for example...

Another thing I've been thinking of doing is to provide the new players with premade characters for an prelude adventure (expected duration: 2 sessions with a level increase between them). These characters should give the players an impression of what the system is capable of without letting them become too attached to the characters. Then, when the prelude is done, you can create the "real" characters together with the players - who now hopefully have a much better understanding of what to prioritize. But this approach does not only present the system to the players, it also presents a bit of the setting and a lot of your GMing style, letting the players react to that in the character creation process as well. And if you create the premade characters with the amount of background information that you expect from your players, they will become aware of that too...

I have in fact been thinking of giving this approach an extra twist: the prelude is related to the main story line. Maybe it shows the players something that happened so long ago that it only affects the main story arc, maybe something in the near past affecting the current story arc only, maybe something happening in parallel with the current story arc. Similar to cut scenes in movies...

An example of what the short story arc approach could be in an Indiana Jones style adventure is having the players play some henchmen for the bad guys travelling to the Temple of The Insect Sect. The prelude will offer a wide variety of situations that the players should get acquainted with (static maneuvers, movement maneuvers, spell casting and simple combat), and will probably end as a cliff-hanger with the henchmen having just reached the temple, unlocked a great door, or something like that. Just enough information to let the players know that the henchmen are there when their real characters show up, but without giving anything away.

//K
Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 02:42:38 AM »
I agree with everything Yamma said, expecially with the charagen part.

Edit: Cool idea Kalu!

I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 02:59:49 AM »
Kalu,
 I have almost the same idea for my next campaign, with 3-6 mini get to know SM:P adventures. One each focusing in on major areas of the game and system and do not require PC's but are run from non-character representations to get the point across. Each of the mini-games has some berring on the real game or provides information or a plaot point or question to the players. I hope I have time to run it soon but if I do not it just gives me more ideas for the game.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 07:57:40 AM »
Temple of The Insect Sect

Thanks for the chuckle.  Insect Sect.  Graet stuff.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Kalu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 08:10:50 AM »
In Danish it's even better, "an insect sect" is pronunced "in insect sect"... :D

I guess I will have to create an adventure based on that... ;D

//K
Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 09:44:32 AM »
In Danish it's even better, "an insect sect" is pronunced "in insect sect"... :D

Hmm... sounds like Accadian or a similar language... I would use it for the name of insect god of the insect sect: In-Insekt-Sekt, the Terrible Insect God (of the insect sect).

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »
Groan points...need groan points...

lynn

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »
Arioch, you have one groan point.  Well, two groan points. :D
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 04:48:51 AM »
Lol 
Always pleased to help our community! ;D