Author Topic: Metric or Imperial System for RM Revised  (Read 48097 times)

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Metric or Imperial System for RM Revised
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005, 07:05:26 AM »
I think the poll is far from flawed...there is a reason metric is the system most countries use. 

Additionally if it is possilble for us metric people to convert imperial to metric so can you convert metric to imperial if you want that.
Did that all the time when I used to play Champions.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Xamex

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Clubbulls
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 09:19:25 AM »
I voted for metric.

www.clubbulls.com

Offline Cerebus

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Let the game be a game.
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005, 01:44:38 PM »
I think we should devise an Aptitudes system to create an entirely new form of measurements.  Players could be given 3 choices at character creation that will allow them to customize measurements to their liking.  As long as the underlying construction kit is consistent, we wouldn't have to worry about balance between the what in the hell am I talking about.
'No offense intended, but if this one had been posted by Cerebus, we'd need a crowbar to get Cory's teeth unclamped from his jugular...' - LordMiller

Ewand

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005, 05:30:32 PM »
I don't care.
Imperial system add some  kind of exotism for french players.
Metric is faster and may improve the rythm of the game.

Both will add confusion.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 03:00:28 PM »
I don't really care, The imperial system has a better feel for fantasy but I use metric for my geography as a GM since it is a little easier.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • from the pits of T'is K'ali to the starclad sky..
    • myspace
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 05:55:48 AM »
if i want a fantasy feel i create my own system.. metric its faster, everyone when use a calculator find very easier to use metric system and its not difficult to convert.

Italian fanzine for the d100 rpg

Sorloc

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 08:42:38 AM »
In some instances, it makes no difference.

How fast is 150'/rd in mph?  in kph?  Both are a pain in the neck.

But when you try to figure mass and volume and stuff like that, metric is the way to go.

How many gallons will a 10'x10'x10' room hold?

How many litres will a 3mx3mx3m room hold?

The first question takes a LOT longer to answer.  Hell, I can do the second in my head, and I was born, raised, and educated in the states.

If it makes you feel better, call them Scientific Measure... (SI units)

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 08:48:35 AM »
1000 cu' <chuckle>

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline buddha

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 08:58:19 AM »
quote author=Sorloc link=topic=356.msg5578#msg5578 date=1135348958]

How many gallons will a 10'x10'x10' room hold?[/quote]

Would that be a US gallon or an Imperial gallon??

Now luckily both are divided into 8 pints, but the US pint is the same as 16 fl oz while the Imperial Pint has 20 fl oz.

You guys can never agree on anything can you??

Metric is the way to go if you want easy math, but stones, pints, hundredwaights, barrels, feet, chains and all the other great measurements sure gove more atsmosphere.
Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_unit#Comparison_of_the_Imperial_and_US_customary_systems for some details on the not very easy to get around system of measurement the english have given the world, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._customary_units for some information on the US sytem.

It's intresting to note that the US system has all its units defined by the SI.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 09:09:32 AM by buddha »
Gaute Gunleiksrud

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
[I am in control of my addiction!]
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Sorloc

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 10:34:10 AM »
That's because we USE the SI!  Although our great, poorly educated masses use the antiquated and cumbersome Imperial (based) units, our scientific community uses SI - and our scientific community ranks much better on a global scale than our 'huddled masses' do. 

(and 1000 cu' is NOT a correct answer - in gallons!  :P )

next, at 35?F / 3?C, how much does that water weigh?

again, using metric, I can do it i my head...

Imperial units suck.

If you want color, fine - color it.  But the framework should be black and white - easy to read and understand - metric.  Easy to use, makes sense, and then all you need to do is come up with your 'colorful' units, and know the conversions (which you'll have to do anyway with Imperial units).

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2005, 01:38:47 PM »
Official Moderation
Please tone down the discussion.  We'd like to keep the exchange of information and opinions at a polite level.
Thank you.

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2005, 05:35:24 PM »
sorloc i totaly agree with you (i have even give you an "IDEA") we must use a simple system as the basic and if someone "want color" he use other systems.. SETTINGS are different from RULES. I can undestand that someone find easier to use imperial system so or metric or both.. not imperial alone.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2005, 12:25:59 PM »
Official Moderation
Please tone down the discussion.  We'd like to keep the exchange of information and opinions at a polite level.
Thank you.

Huh?
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Sorloc

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2005, 02:27:31 PM »
sorloc i totaly agree with you (i have even give you an "IDEA") we must use a simple system as the basic and if someone "want color" he use other systems.. SETTINGS are different from RULES. I can undestand that someone find easier to use imperial system so or metric or both.. not imperial alone.

Quote from: Leo Frankowski
In historical, medieval europe, weights and measures... were a vast agglomeration of random events.  Length was measured in feet, yards, cubits, spans, hands, fingers, miles, and days.  Not only was there no agreed-upon relationship between those units, but the size of the unit varied from place to place.  A Ciezyn yard was not equal to a Cracow yard which was not equal to a Wroclaw yard.
   It even varied from commodity to commodity.  Fine velvets, for example, were sold by the Troy yard, which was shorter than all of the above.  And these weren't minor differences of a few percent.  The Wroclaw yard was half again longer then the Cracow yard.
  Weights were in even worse shape.  Cheese, wheat, and oats were all sold by the quarter, for example.  A quarter of what, you ask?  Why a quarter of cheese, wheat or oats!  There was no "whole" or "half".  But a quarter of wheat was more than five times larger than a quaretr of cheese, which was maybe a hundred kilos.  And a quarter of oats was bigger than both the others put together.  And of course a quarter in one city was not equal to a quarter anyplace else.
   Well, a pint of milk weighed a pound, but milk is the stupidest standard possible.  The specific gravity of milk varies by at least five percent, with the richest milk being the lightest.  It spoils quiclky, so there is no possibility of having a standard jar or jug of milk somewhere.

I've checked on most of this, and it's accurate enough.

It's fine for flavor, but not for GMing.  The system needs a good, solid measurement system to use system mechanics with.
A GM may impose whatebver random, haphazard system of weights and measures he choosed to inflict upon his players - as a setting.

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 12:43:43 PM »
i agree again with sorl.. we jsut have to mess with tables and rules.. at least with the measure system i hope will have something mroe easier.. everytime the sorcerer in my group want to destroy something the problems start..

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 09:55:33 PM »
Keep it simple keep it metric... and that's why I voted metric.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 10:14:40 PM »
If RM revised is going to be a generic system (rather than just a fantasy system) then metric makes sense.  Then settings like RM fantasy can be in imperial, and RM SCIFI in metric, etc...

I always advocate soft conversion... (30cm to a foot, 1 yard to a meter, 2 lbs to a Kg) it just doesn't make much sense to do otherwise in a game setting, there just isn't the need for that kind of precision.  (I secretly like the way GURPS is split into rules and genre supliments... even though I don't much care for their mechanics.)
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2005, 09:46:58 AM »
so let's "Keep it Real Keep Rolemaster".. "Keep it Simple Keep it Metric"..  :-*

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2005, 10:26:03 AM »
I've checked on most of this, and it's accurate enough.

It's more than accurate.... in France the stuff varied from almost one town to another.
It mostly depended under whom the country was ruled.... The King(s) [ France and England mainly ] , the Church, the Bourgogne Familly, the Savoie Familly, The Counts of Toulouse and so on....

IIRC between Clermont Ferrand and Vichy ( two French town about 40Km apart, that is one day travel at that time. ) the things changed.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline PENDRAGON

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2005, 12:54:51 PM »
I like to use Metric for Modern Day or Sci-fi settings, and Imperial for Fantasy campaigns.

Ditto, but would go with metric for ease of use   ::)