Author Topic: Maximum weight based on encumbrance penalty  (Read 308 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Maximum weight based on encumbrance penalty
« on: December 30, 2022, 02:13:53 PM »
I can't seem to find any rules in RM about the maximum weight a character can carry. I know that RM tends to favour more open ended (literarilly) results and doesn't like to impose hard limitations, but otherwise you have you get into difficult scenarios. For instance, say a very strong fighter wants to carry out of a dungeon two light weight characters. Do you sit there and have them make sheer folly strength maneuvers all day long? I think it makes sense just to have hard cutoffs for weight carrying. My suggestion is the encumbrance penalty cannot exceed the negative value of the strength stat / 2 + the strength bonus. So a character with a 100 strength and +25 bonus could carry up to a -75 encumbrance.

Makes it a little easier for a GM instead of having to figure out difficulties and exhaustion points.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Maximum weight based on encumbrance penalty
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 03:56:42 PM »
I was going to mention this as well. The Load Limit column on the movement chart (p. 128) lists '--' opposite Creep pace, which suggests no limit to the amount that you can carry at a Creep pace. I'd put something like 150% or 200% there, indicating the maximum amount you can grab and still move.

When you add flying races, you might also want to note how much you can carry and still get airborne. I would suggest that if you have wings like a Hirazi, you would need to be able to move at at least 3x pace (which would keep your limit to 45%).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 04:02:07 PM »
Interesting suggestions. The reason that I suggested using encumbrance penalty as the maximum is because i use FGU to run my games, so it is easier because it automatically calculates encumbrance.

Offline Amano

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 04:45:44 PM »
I think feats of strength has this covered pretty well.

For your dungeon example, I would decide how long it would take to exit the dungeon at a creep pace and then roll percentage manuevers to see how long it actually takes.

The chart goes up to 400% at nigh impossible so you could use 400+2(strength bonus)% as an absolute limit.