Author Topic: Directed Spell  (Read 644 times)

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Directed Spell
« on: December 19, 2022, 09:21:04 PM »
Our understanding of the RMSS rules was that directed spell could not be purchased until a character could cast a bolt without overcasting. Meaning only the category ranks for Directed Spell could be purchased with hobby ranks or purchased with initial level ranks and ranks in the individual bolts could be bought the level after the bolt. Ie fire bolt Directed spell could be bought at 7 and shock bolt directed spell at 3.

Since RMU is written differently (no need to buy separate bolt directed spells) can directed spell ranks be purchased with hobby ranks and 2 ranks at each level even if no bolt has been purchased or when no bolt can be cast without overcasting?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Directed Spell
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 01:12:54 PM »
There are no hobby ranks so that part doesn't apply. But I would let a character start developing Directed Spells at the same point they are learning a suitable spell. For a Magician or Illusionist who gets applicable spells at 2nd level, they could start play with those spells and the skill. For a character who won't get those things until a higher level, they might lag a little bit, e.g. Druid gets Shock Bolt as a 4th level spell, in principle they could learn that as a 2nd level character and if they did I would let them start buying ranks in Directed Spells at the same time.

For practice purposes, you can take time to prep, you can yell and use both hands etc, so unless a spell is well above your level you will usually be able to cast it. And many spell failures let you complete the spell too (maybe after an extra round or at extra cost). So I don't think overcasting should prevent learning the associated skills.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 07:51:24 PM »
I agree, learning the principles of focusing and aiming should not have to depend on the Level of the caster being at the spell level, so long as they have the spell learned. The penalties for overcasting already apply.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 09:08:32 PM »
As far as I understand it as long as you has the power points to cast the spell at least once a day and know the spell, you can develop Directed Spells. For a Magician that would be lvl 2. You can argue that if the list is learned when reaching the level you have to wait but I never was that strict.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 09:44:08 PM »
Yeah. In play, you either have reached the new level and have your new spells, or you haven't reached the new level and can't cast those new spells yet. But that's a simplification for play. Most things are learned gradually, and I imagine there must be a time when you are learning the spell that you are getting the feel of it and are able to inconsistently achieve something like the spell. That point, where you are still trying to get the feel of the spell and make the casting consistent, I think you are likewise getting the feel of how the magic works and moves, that you will also improve as you develop the skill as well well. Maybe you can't really cast the spell properly and your skill bonus is only -10 but at least it isn't -25, and by the time you actually have the spell down your bonus is up to that big +5.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 02:52:53 PM »
As far as I understand it as long as you has the power points to cast the spell at least once a day and know the spell, you can develop Directed Spells. For a Magician that would be lvl 2. You can argue that if the list is learned when reaching the level you have to wait but I never was that strict.

For RMSS, that is not how it works. In RMSS, you cannot learn directed spell for a spell that you have to overcast, whether you know it or not. Hence, you cannot develop directed spell until the level after you can properly cast the spell. There is a whole discussion on it in the RMSS subforum where I posed that exact question. (yes there are exceptions if you have an item that allows you to cast it early without overcasting but that is an exception not the rule).

See https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?topic=20488.msg238898#msg238898

That is why I asked about it in the context of RMU, because the language is completely different.  Or rather, there is little language as to the skill and its development or purchase. With it not having that requirement and not needing to be purchased for the various bolts, there will be a significant increase in damage output for Magicians in particular.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 03:59:38 PM »
Yes, you are correct, this is a change from previous editions. I think the consensus was that playing a low level caster should not suck quite so much anymore.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 09:03:04 PM »
In the end it is up to the GM style of play for his world as the Rules for Rolemaster Have always been optional as written. We all have our own opinions as GM's on how to interpret the rules and that affects the flavor of each game. I tend to not apply a lot of restrictions and penalties as they pile on to the point of immobilizing players and overall flow of the game (fatigue rules, HP penalties, PP penalties and such) By the time some one tries to hit they are already at a penalty just to move and strike. So my games are light on the penalties but stay to the Core for most other things.
Knowledge is unimagined Power