Author Topic: What powers and abilities/STATS would you give a level 20 corrupt paladin?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What powers and abilities/STATS would you give a level 20 corrupt paladin?

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What powers and abilities/STATS would you give a level 20 corrupt paladin?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 03:31:04 AM »
None.
They simply channel from their new 'anti-deity'.
e crits all round

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 10:24:20 AM »
Not a paladin anymore - "paladin" and "corrupt" are a bit opposite to each other.

So maybe they are a Priest semi-user of a dark power. Or a rogue who serves an evil deity and spent a bit too much time trying to learn spell lists. Or a Mythic with a bit of an emphasis on combat skills. Or a Warlock or Summoner with good weapon skills and transcend armour to offset the armour penalties and lower spell lists to compensate.

But not a paladin.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 11:08:44 AM »
Depends on what you mean by "corrupt". If he's still serving the his original god, then give him normal abilities, but maybe penalize his spell powers in some way to reflect the displeasure of his god with his weaknesses, be it alcoholism, promiscuity, gambling, or whatever. And make sure he has any appropriate skills (which will depend on which version of RM you are using and what options, if RM2) to match his "corruption". If you mean he has fallen to evil, give him some Evil spell lists (probably only to a low level, as he apparently didn't start out as an Evil Paladin). Again, there might be some skills you want to give him for thematic reasons. But otherwise, stat him out as needed for your game. If he's going to be the "boss" villain for a session, make him tough. If he's going to be the main villain for a series of sessions, make him *really* tough. If he's an NPC support character that the PCs are expected to redeem, make him useful but make sure he won't overshadow the PCs.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 12:21:51 PM »
Or dig up Companion III and reconfigure him into a Chaotic Lord. Those can be quite interesting...
Darn that salt pork!

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 01:47:28 PM »
Or dig up Companion III and reconfigure him into a Chaotic Lord. Those can be quite interesting...

This suggestion I like.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 04:00:41 PM »

nice. im going with this idea for sure.

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 07:08:57 PM »
This is what I did for an evil paladin (Unholy Warrioir)

https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?topic=16688.msg203401#msg203401
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 08:55:22 PM »
I'd respectively swap the paladin's "Hand of Cleansing", "Hand of Healing" and "Exorcism" spell lists by "Disease" (S.L.), "Poison Mastery" (RoCo. 1) and "Animate Dead" (RoCo. 2), whilst keeping the others.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 03:19:27 PM »
If you are after a fighter with unexpected powers, but do not want ot raise the power level too much, some of the spell lists from Channeling Companion might be worth looking at.
/Pa Staav

Offline AliasAerius

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 08:36:38 PM »
Just remember that Chaotic Armor is possibly the most broken spell list ever created.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 10:54:47 AM »
I thought that the macabre profession was broken.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 04:29:55 PM »
... the same powers, stats, spells the "not-corrupt-paladin" would have. 

A paladin serves a god/church/religion.  It doesn't matter what/who the god is, the paladin serves it and all other religions/gods are "wrong."  I was raised Catholic, so I was taught all other religions were wrong and if I worship any other God or religion then I am wrong and will go to hell.  But am I evil or corrupt if I don't follow the Catholic faith anymore?  I'd be excommunicated for certain, but I would be embraced by my new faith and not considered "evil" by the new religion.

Depends on what you mean by "corrupt". If he's still serving the his original god, then give him normal abilities, but maybe penalize his spell powers in some way to reflect the displeasure of his god with his weaknesses,

If he's an NPC support character that the PCs are expected to redeem, make him useful but make sure he won't overshadow the PCs.

rdanhenry nailed it.  If by "corrupt" you mean he still worships his original god, but has strayed from the path, then there are penalties already imposed such as loss of powers or spells or PPs.  If he's turned his back on the god completely and has taken up supporting another god, then he'll likely have members of his original faith hunting him down to "save" him or to "impose penance" upon him.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline foilfodder

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2022, 11:25:14 AM »

What role is this corrupt paladin in the game?
- are you a player designing a character to play or a GM creating an NPC?
- if an NPC for the players to overcome, is the paladin the one calling the shots, or are they simpy muscle to do the dirty work for someone higher up in their deity's list of devoted servants

Once you have a clear idea what role this corrupt paladin is playing you can pick skills/abilities/spells and equipment to match.

Three ideas based on typical tropes:

- evil overlord that rules through overt use of power, probably suported by demons or undead. Spell lists and items would help them build their forces and find threats to their rule. May not be the type to personally engage in combat.

- champion of darkness would be the muscle behind an evil overlord, or an independent doer of foul deeds who only wishes to fight and destroy. Default Paladin spell lists would good for this type. Beefed up by weapons and armor to make them capable of taking on the whole PC group at once (items too corrupt for the PCs to use if they kill the bad guy).

- puppet master is someone who works with subterfuge rather than direct power or action. Stealth, deception, bribery, misdirection are powerful mudane skills. Spells for stealth, nondetection, mind control/charm and information gathering would be useful.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2022, 06:57:00 PM »

What role is this corrupt paladin in the game?
- are you a player designing a character to play or a GM creating an NPC?
- if an NPC for the players to overcome, is the paladin the one calling the shots, or are they simpy muscle to do the dirty work for someone higher up in their deity's list of devoted servants

Once you have a clear idea what role this corrupt paladin is playing you can pick skills/abilities/spells and equipment to match.

Three ideas based on typical tropes:

- evil overlord that rules through overt use of power, probably suported by demons or undead. Spell lists and items would help them build their forces and find threats to their rule. May not be the type to personally engage in combat.

- champion of darkness would be the muscle behind an evil overlord, or an independent doer of foul deeds who only wishes to fight and destroy. Default Paladin spell lists would good for this type. Beefed up by weapons and armor to make them capable of taking on the whole PC group at once (items too corrupt for the PCs to use if they kill the bad guy).

- puppet master is someone who works with subterfuge rather than direct power or action. Stealth, deception, bribery, misdirection are powerful mudane skills. Spells for stealth, nondetection, mind control/charm and information gathering would be useful.

evil paladin is devoted to a blood thirsty godesss and protects the cult and its temples.
the cult have the goal of returning a banished sect of powerful vampires from their prison/banishment from the campaign world.
There a 5 unique vampire lords who rule over a different region in the world but shar ethe same goals of chaos and disharmony, enslaving innocents and seeking out and using dark magic/knowledge.
each Vanpire Lord has six corrupt knights serving them and these are attached to the temple/stronghold the cult has set up.
There is an overall Big Boss leader archmage Lich

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2022, 08:50:11 PM »
You can definitely use the paladin profession to reflect your corrupt knights.  What version of RM are you using?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2022, 12:04:20 PM »
I'd probably use the profession but swap out the spell lists, either for Evil lists or other thematic lists, and give them some vampiric/undead abilities. Ideally the abilities would differ based on which vampire lord they served (if the vampire lords have different powers or different styles of doing things).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2022, 01:11:11 PM »
Assuming that the knights are not vampires themselves, maybe include a custom spell list that allows them to temporary grant themselves vampire-like powers?
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 02:04:36 PM »
I'd respectively swap the paladin's "Hand of Cleansing", "Hand of Healing" and "Exorcism" spell lists by "Disease" (S.L.), "Poison Mastery" (RoCo. 1) and "Animate Dead" (RoCo. 2), whilst keeping the others.
Ok, consequently to Druss' post, I'd also swap the Paladin's "Communion" spell list with "Vampyric Magicks" (RoCo. 7)
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.