Author Topic: Ethereal Forms and effects  (Read 912 times)

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Ethereal Forms and effects
« on: July 15, 2016, 10:31:18 PM »
Typically play RM2/RMC but the source doesn't have to be specific to those versions of RM.

I am having trouble locating any definition of How to treat creatures and objects that exist only Ethereally.

What Items/attacks can affect them.

I understand that Normal Physical attacks shouldn't be able to affect them. Bu can just a Normal Magical Weapon affect them, or does it have to be specifically enchanted to affect Ethereal?   

How about Magical Spell attacks... Can a Magical Firebolt or Ball Affect an ethereal target?
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Ethereal Forms and effects
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:52:21 AM »
In RMSS, I'm not finding any use of the word Ethereal. Mystic has a spell Passing which allows moving through physical objects, but it doesn't say anything about granting protection. (I would say anything magical affects them, including magical weapons.) There are a couple of Arcane spells which make things Intangible, not really defined. (I would say anything magical affects them.) Channeling Companion has Spirit Walk, in which case the caster's spirit is invisible and unable to affect the physical world, not explicit about what if anything affects the caster. (I would say non-elemental spells but not magic weapons.) The classic non-corporeal creature, the ghost, is affected by spells and magical weapons according to RMFRP C&M.

I recall that RM2's Arcane lists had spells for turning ethereal, but I don't recall if there were any spells specifically for affecting ethereal creatures. I would not be inclined to require that, especially if no such spells exist....
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Ethereal Forms and effects
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:12:22 AM »
RM2's RoCoI has "Ethereal Mastery", whose level 5 spell, "Phasing" has a very tiny bit about the matter. It pretty much says that creatures in the normal and the ethereal planes don't interact (including not being able to interact in any way —attacks, spells, etc.). Only creatures living in the ethereal plane (or with a strong link to it, such as undead, who "draw their power from the aether" [EC, p11, about aether]) can fully interact with each others. Read the spell for more details (well, not much, in truth, but…)
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.