Author Topic: Bladeturn / Deflections  (Read 2879 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Bladeturn / Deflections
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 01:24:05 PM »
I have used anti-magic blades that ignore magic defense (typically due to a Kregora alloy/edge).  I assign the weapon a level and defensive spells get an rr. 

There are always exceptions to rules.  ;D
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
Another interesting little wrinkle:

There is a RM2 spell on the Animist base list Nature's Protection called 'Bladeturning Organic', which is a Bladeturn spell that only works on organic or partially organic weapons.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »
There is a RM2 spell on the Animist base list Nature's Protection called 'Bladeturning Organic', which is a Bladeturn spell that only works on organic or partially organic weapons.
Lol... I can see the player now... "Does that hammer have a wood haft or stone head?!?!"
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 02:26:09 AM »
If it is a force spell directly deflecting the sword (like an instant TK affect) then it most certainly should have an RR. If you want to heat metal on someone's armour that is an RR; if you want to magically disarm someone, that is an RR. You are directly changing someone's action, interacting with their "aura". As to the deflect part of the spell, moving the arrow before launch would be easier, it is difficult to even see an individual arrow in flight; but quite easy to see someone aiming a bow and knocked arrow at you...
Ahhhh the dark path of common sense is in the way again!!!!

Seriously, with straight game mechanics and not too worried about "reality" and seeing as some people think it is an OP spell; making it an RR would add balance.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 02:34:20 AM »
RM2 Spell Law, page 21
"Spell Attacks on Items... if the item is being carried by a living being (ie in his "Essence Aura"), its target level is equal to the being's level."
I guess you could argue that an arrow might have some residual aura after being fired.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »
IMHO, you have a field around you and the attacks are interacting with that field. Their attacks are hitting your field so no save.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
I don't get this idea of RR for an intervening for that alters weapon or attack trajectory by an instant "Barrier" which is provided by the spell. It acts as a hard cover which has no RR to attack through.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 10:25:45 AM »
I don't get this idea of RR for an intervening for that alters weapon or attack trajectory by an instant "Barrier" which is provided by the spell. It acts as a hard cover which has no RR to attack through.

+1.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Terisonen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
I have used anti-magic blades that ignore magic defense (typically due to a Kregora alloy/edge).  I assign the weapon a level and defensive spells get an rr. 

There are always exceptions to rules.  ;D

I would extend this kind of exception to intelligent weapon. But i'm really fond of the explication that the target of the spell is the caster who need protection. In this case, no RR, ever.