Author Topic: Bladeturn / Deflections  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Bladeturn / Deflections
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »
A topic in the BETA test thread reminded me of something one of the RM2 group mentioned recently. We were talking about the house rules we have used so often that we think them the real rules. This convo started because of a couple of threads in these forums. So my friend mentioned the fact that the Bladeturn and Deflections spells are Force type, not Utility; force spells as a rule get RR's.

So should an RR be given to the attacker?

Though I'm always reluctant to apply logic to any game system (a dark and perilous undertaking), it actually seems rather consistent. If I were to cast a sleep or enchantment (fear etc) to stop the weapon attack the opponent would obviously get an RR, so why not for Bladeturn / Deflect.

Or have we been "doing it wrong" for the last 20 or so years? :)
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Bladeturn / Deflections
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:31:41 PM »
Common sense tells me: Sleep, Fear, etc are being cast on your attacker.  The Bladeturn/Deflectins spell is not being cast on the wielder of the weapon, but on the weapon or missile itself.  Therefore no RR.

The system tells me: RMSS Bladeturn and Deflections are Utility spells.

In RMU they appear to be labelled "E" which is Elemental (which is... odd, no idea what to make of that).
I'm pretty certain you don't get RR's vs them in RMU.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:12:40 PM »
If it was a Utility spell, it couldn't affect a weapon held by an opponent at all. If it was Force, the opponent would get a RR. If it's Elemental, it's a real physical effect (rather than a resistable magical influence), resolved according to whatever the spell description says.  Seems reasonable to me.

That's how I read it anyway.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »
I will have to intercede here. Force does not = RR's. It is applied as a physical condition that obscures, impedes, or blocks as a wall, shield or battering ram.  It interferes with the natural progression of the attack swing to bounce, missile shot to veer of a solid object of force.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:40:07 PM »
RMU says (page 11):
Elemental (E)
Elemental spells are those in which the magic of the spell creates, summons, and/or manipulates some real physical element which then has effects on other things, such as the target of a Fire Bolt. These typically involve the six elements manipulated by Magicians: Cold, Earth, Fire, Light, Water, and Wind, but also include other elements, most notably the elements of sense involved in Essence illusions. Illusions are spells that create or manipulate a physical element perceived by one of the six senses used in Spell Law: sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch (i.e., feel), and Presence. (See Section 10.8 for a detailed treatment.)

Because the elements are simply real parts of the physical world, rather than spell forces, their effects do not allow for RRs except in certain cases in order to avoid having the effect “stick” to a target (Section 10.15).

Force (F)
These spells directly apply magical force to an object or being. Targets get an RR to avoid being affected. Targets do not get an RR for indirect spell effects (e.g., a Force spell is used to heat water that someone later jumps into).

(Emphasis added.)

I will also note that a Wall of Force (e.g. 50th level spell on Open Channeling Barrier Law, not to mention almost all the other barriers on that list) has type "E", not "F", . The Shield spell is type "E" as well.

The wording is different but the rule is functionally the same in RMSS. I don't know about RM2/RMC.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:02:37 AM »
We did once use Deflections to make a foe jumping down to a raised mine cart railway miss the railway (and fall to his death).  Granted, a very opportune moment and the right spell... but the GM probably should have given the foe a RR in that case.  That's a rather odd-ball example however.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
maybe not a RR so to say but a maneuver check would have been more appropriate.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
I think I would have applied a -100 to a Moving Maneuver, in lieu of automatically sending the hapless fellow to his death.  Still, that's quite clever.

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »
I guess I've always interpretted (in my head) these spells acting on the attacker directly (eg, as the arrow is about to be fired the arrow head is "Deflected" half an inch), but simply putting it as an instant forcefield affect eliminates this and moves it to the RMSS version of a utility spell (of indirect force).

I'm content with that.

@Cory: common sense is the Dark Path I spoke of :)
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »
Interesting question.

I had always seen Bladeturn and Deflections kind of like a wall of air, in which case I wouldn't allow the missile or weapon an RR.

But now that I have reread the Bladeturn and Deflections spells more carefully, it seems more that the spell really is a force spell acting on the missile or weapon. So I am leaning towards yes, force spell, RR.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:48:49 PM »
The force is against an inanimate object in effect. There is no RR vs a physical force being applied to a weapon weather deflecting or turning. I don't get where people are coming up with this concept. These spells repel the attacks like a raincoat repels water, it deflects the attack with a barrier, although some of that attack may penetrate through, it is still a barrier in this instance.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »
Exactly, I'm with tbigness. Even if you want to call it a force spell you are casting it at the weapon/missile, not the attacker.  Now, if you use it against a natural attack... could be a different story.  I guess then you get into the discussion of if it should be consistent or not.
- Cory Magel

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 12:30:02 AM »
I'm not disputing that you are casting the spell at an object.

But, as Jdale pointed out, objects get RRs against force spells. Even inanimate objects get an RR.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 12:53:19 AM »
I guess it becomes a matter of if you think that the wind itself, which supposedly pushes the attack out of line, is itself magical.  It seems the simplest explanation of the spell is magic creates a wind.  How far off is that from magic heating up water and being unable to roll a RR vs the hot water?

This seems to simply be a GM interpretation of a spell that I personally do not believe was intended to be resistible in the first place.
- Cory Magel

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 01:13:23 AM »
I've always considered items held/worn by a person to be within their aura, and therefore they get the RR (if there is one at all). I can't find a rule that says that though. But it doesn't seem to be just me, e.g. http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=11849.msg149690 Maybe it's actually a rule somewhere.

Assuming you go with that logic, if Bladeturn was a type F spell, the target would get an RR. Just like if you tried to set their sword on fire or melt their armor.

Whether the attack is pushed out of the way by wind or force or luck is color, and may vary depending on what spell list it happens to be on and how it is described there, not to mention GM whim, but if the spell Type is the same, that defines the mechanic.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 01:28:07 AM »
They are U spells in previous RM versions (no RR).  So, aside from a sneaking suspicion that they just didn't think about the possible ramifications of changing them to an E spell in RMU, it would appear the spells are not intended to be resistible... well, aside from the creative use our group made of it.  That, I think, would have justified some kind of roll to avoid it (even if it was just a Agility or Tumbling check).
- Cory Magel

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »
No rr.  The spell is cast on a non resisting target and that target gains the spells benefit, just like a Prayer spell would give +X to RR's and MM's, the Deflect/Bladeturn provides DB.  No rr is needed and their is no resisting the spells active affect.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
+1 Agreed

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »
Actually, having reread the spell, I would say that nothing in the spell suggests you actually have to have a weapon involved. The spells says its 'effect is against 1 melee attack', which presumably includes martial arts and natural weapons.

I wouldn't get too mislead by the 'Blade' in the title of the spell. It seems to be colorful language that is not entirely accurate, at least if the description of the spell is anything to go by.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 02:08:46 AM »
You're right Hurin... but it we're talking about if it should be resistible or not the fact that it's being cast on a sword vs your hand might actually impact the ruling for some GM's.

I don't think the spell is intended to be resistible... but it's still going to create disagreements around the table, so it should be clarified.
- Cory Magel