Author Topic: Do invisible characters still cast have a shadow?  (Read 3351 times)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Do invisible characters still cast have a shadow?
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 03:42:37 PM »
Wait, the "One Ring?" I thought that was the little circle thingy that tells you Windows is working, like the little hourglass they used to have back in the day.

::)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 05:04:04 PM »
True, the "One Ring" probably sits pretty high up on the magic item power level. :)

From Treasures Of Middle-Earth:
Invisibility, which is not broken even in combat, because the Ring draws the wielder deeply into the wraith world; this makes him invisible to all earthly eyes, but brilliantly visible to those at home in the wraith world, such as the Nazgûl; the wearer naturally also gains the ability to see those things which are invisible.

So, yeah, a bit more than your average invisibility. How the wearer casts a shadow while wearing it should be quite impossible based on that description, but then, I guess, Tolkien needed it as a storytelling element.

Or maybe it's the second part of the rings description, he can see things that are invisible, therefore he can see his shadow.

Who knows, I don't base any of my RM spells on LotR anyway, as it's such a different kind of setting when it comes to magic.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 03:11:27 AM »
Lets not forget that the One Ring made you cross the boundary of the shadow realm, or something, while invisibility is a specialized illusion. I have been considering this plenty of times as players came up with this, but I'm not about to compare One Ring magical effects to 2nd level spell effects. So the Shadow realm is reserved for wraiths and Sauron and invisibility illusions for players.
Game On!

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 04:42:49 AM »
There's also a different type of invisibility in the RMCV Forcemage which actually bends gravity if memory serves.

If you wanted to give invisible characters shadow (I don't think they should cast a shadow, but it's not my game  ;) ) you could give normal invisibility a shadow and RMCV a much lighter effect, or none at all.