Author Topic: Sea Law returns!  (Read 5701 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Sea Law returns!
« on: November 11, 2011, 03:31:46 AM »
The classic Sea Law supplement for Rolemaster is now available for the very first time in pdf. See http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96430

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Sea Law returns!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »
Does it include scans of the counters and maps?  Because my copy didn't come with them and I wants them them precious.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »
I've created a scan of the counters page and added it to the product bundle. The map is an A3 hexagonal grid. I could scan that quarter by quarter but not sure how good that would end up. Open to suggestions here.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline frnchqrtr

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:04:28 PM »
Open to suggestions here.

Stop offering PDF versions? 
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal and Duc de Richelieu

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »

Very funny.

PDF versions are an essential part of the offerings of any modern rpg company.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline frnchqrtr

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »

Very funny.

PDF versions are an essential part of the offerings of any modern rpg company.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Not if they're the only offering.

Cheers.
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal and Duc de Richelieu

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 05:47:35 AM »
I've created a scan of the counters page and added it to the product bundle. The map is an A3 hexagonal grid. I could scan that quarter by quarter but not sure how good that would end up. Open to suggestions here.

The problem with anything on A3/11x17 paper is as it has always been, it's too big for its parent publication. I know basically nothing about print-on-demand, but since the vast majority of products printed are A4/8.5x11, and even the vast majority of pages in a product that is an exception to that are A4/8.5x11, I'm going to assume there's no way to make it practical/cost competitive for the point of printing to be flexible enough to use (and fold in after printing) a single A3 sheet only when needed in a series of several thousand A4 sheets.

However, the only reason such sheets were ever attached to printed books was to make sure the person who gets it is the guy who bought that particular book.

I don't know how Kinko's and other such print shops are doing these days, but if they're surviving well enough to justify this you might be able to make the map an attached graphics file that also has an attached deal with one of the major print companies like Kinko's. Buy the .pdf, you get the file. Take the file to Kinko's, they print it to A3. And they don't crease it into 4ths unless you ask them to.

That doesn't sound like a great answer, even to me, but all the other answers I can spot are even worse, except for possibly just leaving it out entirely. Throw in a "X amount off" coupon on a battlemat, maybe.

Not if they're the only offering.

Actually, yes. Sorry to break this to you, but printed books are fast going the way of the dinosaur. It's too much easier and cheaper to get a product to a customer in electronic form than print form, anyone selling text or graphics who does not bow to that reality is going to go under, period. Offering electronic only and not print may cost you market share (likely in RPGs), but offering print only and not electronic is probably writing your business' death warrant anymore. Companies that don't like either of those choices are going to have to find ways to efficiently deal with printing problems/costs as small scale niche marketing to the very occasional customer who really needs it.

Unless you prefer ICE going into bankruptcy again, they and we probably don't have any other choices.

At least, that's the guesses of someone who doesn't have the connections/experience in either publishing or printing to know for certain.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:43:55 AM »
PDFs are not going to be the only offerings. They are working on Print on Demand copies where that is practical, as anyone who has been following the announcements well knows.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 12:05:32 PM »
PDFs are not going to be the only offerings. They are working on Print on Demand copies where that is practical, as anyone who has been following the announcements well knows.

Timeline will be important, however. The world's not standing still in the meantime.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
They are working on Print on Demand copies where that is practical...

Yeah, that. Having to come up with something nimble enough to keep what is now becoming a small niche alive without breaking the company doing it. Even publishers have to eat.

::)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »
They are working on Print on Demand copies where that is practical...

Yeah, that. Having to come up with something nimble enough to keep what is now becoming a small niche alive without breaking the company doing it. Even publishers have to eat.

::)

i suspect that most of the small companies don't make a profit if you consided the time they put in. However, PoD does give the opportunity for hobbyists to get into the game. Dark Dungeons is sold PoD at cost via lulu and is pretty awesome; i assume the author ('Blacky the Blackball') has some expertise in producing pdfs and it seems he did it for fun. If ICE had enough friendly experts with enough free time, things would be different, I guess. It seems at the moment that the available experts are stretched too thin to get things out quickly enough.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »
Well even when all the basic infrastructure is in place.... printing a single book on demand from _____ size paper is one thing. Printing the same book with the addition of a single sheet 4x that size, that has to be printed and then afterwards folded into quarters to fit into the rest of the book before it is bound, is a problem of a completely different order of magnitude.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 02:42:29 PM »
Oh sure, I can't see the A3 sheet being part of a standard PoD. It could be printed up and sold separately, but that'd require some sort of storefront (not impossible to achieve; you could probably get Paizo to sell it, say) I doubt it'd make any money in itself. Be easer to print it in segments on letter or A4 and then people can stick it together if they want. It'd suck if it was a new product, but this is an old product and in any case, the big issue with this .pdf of Seal Law is that it's a scan. Hopefully they'll track the authors down (I see that one, at least, has been found) and can get it reformatted as a searchable .pdf; PoD would be nice, but non-searchable .pdfs are a bigger problem (at least for me; I think I have every RM2 book and although I wouldn't want to damage/destroy one to get a scan, I'm probably not going to buy a scan, either).

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »
Oh sure, I can't see the A3 sheet being part of a standard PoD. It could be printed up and sold separately, but that'd require some sort of storefront (not impossible to achieve; you could probably get Paizo to sell it, say) I doubt it'd make any money in itself. Be easer to print it in segments on letter or A4 and then people can stick it together if they want. It'd suck if it was a new product, but this is an old product and in any case, the big issue with this .pdf of Seal Law is that it's a scan. Hopefully they'll track the authors down (I see that one, at least, has been found) and can get it reformatted as a searchable .pdf; PoD would be nice, but non-searchable .pdfs are a bigger problem (at least for me; I think I have every RM2 book and although I wouldn't want to damage/destroy one to get a scan, I'm probably not going to buy a scan, either).

Sea Law is searchable. I ran the Adobe Capture function on it and with a very few exceptions (covers being the ones I recall) it behaved itself.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »

Sea Law is searchable. I ran the Adobe Capture function on it and with a very few exceptions (covers being the ones I recall) it behaved itself.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Oh, that is excellent news. Is this true of any of the other scans?

I do have an interest in this .pdf now, save wear on my original hard copy.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Oh, that is excellent news. Is this true of any of the other scans?

I do have an interest in this .pdf now, save wear on my original hard copy.

The five that I've just uploaded this evening are all searchable - 5 never-before-seen-in-pdf Spacemaster modules. The Spacemaster Companion is. Some of the scans were searchable to begin with. I plan on methodically going through the entire set of scans, attempting Capture and then replacing files with improved versions where it worked. It is probably several evenings' worth of work.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
Well even when all the basic infrastructure is in place.... printing a single book on demand from _____ size paper is one thing. Printing the same book with the addition of a single sheet 4x that size, that has to be printed and then afterwards folded into quarters to fit into the rest of the book before it is bound, is a problem of a completely different order of magnitude.

Yes. It is unpleasant even for companies who can justify print runs on particular products, and as David Johansen's experience testifies the intended customer does not always get what they should have received. It just isn't sensible for print-on-demand.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:21:10 PM by NicholasHMCaldwell »
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »

Correct. The master files for Shadow World Player Guide is with OBS/LightningSource being validated. I will be sending the master files into OBS to do HARP SF in both softcover and hardcover tomorrow evening.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 11:20:43 PM »
I think the key thing with physical products is that there needs to be a reason for it to be a physical product.  A coloring book, a pop-up book, a book of art photographs, or a book of fold up buildings is still viable.

A book where the main draw is the text isn't.

Games Workshop gets away with it because the physical quality of the presentation is key to the product.  I don't think any games company has understood and implemented the integrated visual identity of their product so fully and it pays off for them.  And even then they struggle though, I think their key assumption that they can increase their prices ad infinitum without consequences has probabably cost them money.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 01:19:22 AM »
This supplement was written with RM2 in mind, correct?  Would someone who owns this and plays RMFRP (or knows system well) tell me how much adaptation I would have to make to use this in a RMSS/FRP game?