Author Topic: Campaign Questions on rulings from other GMs  (Read 3395 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Campaign Questions on rulings from other GMs
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »
Amethyst Rage;
 From what I remember from some discussions was that "they" wanted all skills to work somewhat the same, that is why it was changed from RM1 combat to RM2 combat.
  There may have been other problems as well that were not explained to me but the reasons above and the reason I gave above are all that I remember of some of the discussions I had about how the combat system worked or was changed from version to version. Again that is if IIRC.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 03:45:18 AM »
@ Pastaav
The rules are quite clear on that you need to devote at least 60% activity to be in melee. In practice this mean you can't keep concentration on a spell and at same time do melee unless you are hasted
This is incorrect - attacking while concentrating incurs a -50 ob penalty and no other combat penalties.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 05:42:32 AM »
In my particular RMFRP game, I wouldn't allow concentration while attacking. Those would have to be peculiar circumstances.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 07:07:42 AM »
@ Pastaav
The rules are quite clear on that you need to devote at least 60% activity to be in melee. In practice this mean you can't keep concentration on a spell and at same time do melee unless you are hasted
This is incorrect - attacking while concentrating incurs a -50 ob penalty and no other combat penalties.

At least for RMSS, I disagree.  Concentration is a 50% action, which precludes melee combat.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 07:11:02 AM »
As I type this message I am concentrating on repeating 1 2 3 over and over again in my mind.  It is slowing me down considerable...in fact, at the word "slowing", I believed I broke concentration with a second or two stutter that may have collapsed a spell.

Try it now while typing your reply. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 08:10:52 AM »
In our games, I made 6 sec rounds instead of the standard 10 sec.
This isn't a big difference, but it helped reconcile movement and exactly what someone could do in 1 round.

Also, Dash for Movement was brought up earlier along with an attack. I didn't see it mentioned, but I make this a 100%Act action. I think from someone here. Therefore no attack (unless Hasted).

Looking at graphs of the fastest runners, there is a period where they begin, then speed up to their max speeds. So I say you can Dash, but it takes the entire round and it will be a Moving Maneuver and subject to the MM chart.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »
Also, Dash for Movement was brought up earlier along with an attack. I didn't see it mentioned, but I make this a 100%Act action. I think from someone here. Therefore no attack (unless Hasted).

I take it two steps further: Sprint, Fast Sprint and Dash I treat as Moving Maneuvers that require a Sprinting maneuver (100% activity).  In a tactical setting, I treat the default as running, which I almost never require a roll for (it slows things down and it's too unpredictable when allocating % activity).  Walking, Jogging and Running are only Moving Maneuvers in a strategic setting, where Distance Running kicks in.

So, if the opponent is 30' away, you're only reasonable option (with a base move of 50' = run of 100') is to run for 30% and melee for 70%.  You could sprint, but you wouldn't be allowed to attack, so Sprinting only makes sense if you're trying to move more than 100' in a round.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 02:35:58 PM »

I take it two steps further: Sprint, Fast Sprint and Dash I treat as Moving Maneuvers that require a Sprinting maneuver (100% activity).  In a tactical setting, I treat the default as running, which I almost never require a roll for (it slows things down and it's too unpredictable when allocating % activity).  Walking, Jogging and Running are only Moving Maneuvers in a strategic setting, where Distance Running kicks in.

So, if the opponent is 30' away, you're only reasonable option (with a base move of 50' = run of 100') is to run for 30% and melee for 70%.  You could sprint, but you wouldn't be allowed to attack, so Sprinting only makes sense if you're trying to move more than 100' in a round.

This is my approach.  Run or slower to fight, sprint of faster out of melee.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:22 PM »

I love this idea and approach.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.