Author Topic: Skill Bonus Items using "General" Enchanting Ways spells?  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Skill Bonus Items using "General" Enchanting Ways spells?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 09:18:14 PM »
The last is the most logical answer to my ear. . .balance and stacking is an endless pain in the GM.

No reason the +10 bonus to the broadsword couldn't be explained purely as "It's mega magic sharp and hard!" and not a skill bonus.

Actually, that is a really good point actually, in terms of "What's skill and what's magical material strength?"

On the DB side, magic armor bonuses are implied to be material strength or some form of force field, since they affect all attacks, even ones the wearer is not aware of, and work even if the wearer is unconscious or 100% grappled, and thus lose their quickness/motion DB.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »
  IMHO, all material strength is hard, flexible and sharp and you just need magic to forge the material. You enchant materials after you have or during the forging process.
  IMO this gets around most does this add to that problems.

For DB I do the same thing as above but again it is the enchanting of the material to have a bonus greater than the norm that is the magical part. For that IMHO the magic may do both strengthen and provide flexibility to the material to absorb and or deflect blows. Heck it may even be some small self material healing.

The above is one reason I try and steer away from field effects and the like as it can get confusing unless you have a lit of them all and solid rules as to what adds to what. Note I do not volunteer to re-do Spell Law to include this info.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Hence back to:

"Armor X" makes armor X stronger, harder, more resilient. . .it grants DB to all attacks in all situations.

"Weapon X" makes a sword stronger, sharper, more resiliant. . .it grants OB to all attacks in all situations.

"General X" grants a skill bonus. . . .so could you then perhaps enchant an item to increase sword skill, rather than the sword's OB bonus?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »
Marc R;

IMHO yes you can have an item enhance a PC's weapon skill but it can be very over powering and remember that the evil guys can do it also.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
"General X" grants a skill bonus. . . .so could you then perhaps enchant an item to increase sword skill, rather than the sword's OB bonus?

Yes according to RMSS/RMFRP treasure companion you can

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »

A related question that occurred to me - how about bonuses to RRs. Does General I do +5 to Essence, Mentalism, Channelling and Arcane? Or would say General I do +5 to one realm, General II does +5 to two realms, General III does +5 to three (and hence Arcane)?

Thoughts?
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »
One realm, unless a defensive spell such as PROTECTION III is instead made permenant, which would provide a +15 to all rr's, even to DB with the right spells.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
 IMHO General 1 should not affect RR's spells should affect RR's as Yammahopper pointed out above.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 03:55:58 AM »
The General Bonus Items table in RMSS Treasure Companion, on pg. 116, explicitly lists RRs as option for General I and similar spells. That's the current rules.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 06:57:07 PM »
The General Bonus Items table in RMSS Treasure Companion, on pg. 116, explicitly lists RRs as option for General I and similar spells. That's the current rules.

Skills as well I see. (I like the 1.25x multiplier btw... ) I would guess the difference between 1 realm coverage and three realms can be covered by the cost? (1x to 3x)

Thanks,
Old Man

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 02:54:12 AM »
I would guess the difference between 1 realm coverage and three realms can be covered by the cost? (1x to 3x)
Since the costs for magic items are based on the number of PPs that go into the item creation, and adding a second realm (if necessary at all) would require adding another General I (or higher) spell to the item, where the required item creation time rises in a non-linear fashion, this would be more complicated and cost a bit more. In most cases a character would probably simply buy one RR item per realm, which gets cheaper.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 07:30:44 PM »
I would guess the difference between 1 realm coverage and three realms can be covered by the cost? (1x to 3x)
Since the costs for magic items are based on the number of PPs that go into the item creation, and adding a second realm (if necessary at all) would require adding another General I (or higher) spell to the item, where the required item creation time rises in a non-linear fashion, this would be more complicated and cost a bit more. In most cases a character would probably simply buy one RR item per realm, which gets cheaper.

Does RMSS and/or Treasure Companion treat an Arcane RR as requiring RR "components" from all three realms?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
Technically, and rr against arcane should require a specific spell designed to resist arcane.  It would be a matter of GM fiat to allow a protection true, resistance true or averageing of rr mods against arcane (i.e. normal rr bonus provide 1/3 bonus versus arcane magic).

Arcane is powerful and supossed to be dificult to resist imo.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
Does RMSS and/or Treasure Companion treat an Arcane RR as requiring RR "components" from all three realms?
I don't know. What we do in our group is that we average the appropriate Essence, Channeling & Mentalism RR bonuses when calculating RRs vs. Hybrid spells or Arcane spells. That way the answer is yes, an Arcane RR requires RR "components" from all three realms. IMO this is a simpler solution than introducing separate RR modifiers and items vs. the Hybrid and/or Arcane spells.

YMMV