Author Topic: Sleeping Pills  (Read 505 times)

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Sleeping Pills
« on: January 10, 2024, 11:37:04 AM »
In one of my conversion bouts, I came upon sleeping pills. I didn't see any specific RMU item and was wondering if anyone knows where something like sleeping pills would exist in RMU or any other RM publication?

Here is the book quote:
Drugs
Sleeping pill:
Very early on, men sought drugs that put you to sleep, rested and made you forget physical or moral pain. Without violence or murder, they put an embarrassing encounter or rich but naive companions to sleep. Weight: 1 g per dose. Price: 100 to 600ยข for 1 to 6 hours of sleep.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Sleeping Pills
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 01:01:09 PM »
Well, you could certainly create a potion of Sleep targeted at the imbiber. If one intended to use such methods often, a Daily item would be a better choice.
For herbs, RMU would offer Arunya and Hugar. Wek-baas can cause sleep, but has more dangerous possibilities. Hith-i-Girith would require risky harvesting and be more difficult to employ, as it is inhaled rather than ingested. But then, the listed herbs are but suggestions, and the GM should not feel either obligated to include a listed herb nor limited by what is listed.
Simply drinking your companion under the table is a slower alternative, perhaps more interesting to play out.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 01:08:04 PM »
Thanks rdanhenry. That gives me some alternatives. I have been thinking about it and I don't think we would have had "sleeping pills" in prehistoric times; which is the tech level that this passage came from in the book. Maybe alcohol or some other medicinal plant would suffice. Or maybe I just translated it wrong from the French version.

Offline Gideon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 02:42:27 PM »
I perhaps consider it a Poison, or use Alchemy for it?

in RMC I, Herbs Table (p. 94)
Margath salve, found in easily in humid jungles - anesthesia, 1gp per distillate dose.

History says:
Opium is a 5400 year old anesthesia used in China. With (as you mentioned) Alchohol used in ancient Mesopotamia.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_general_anesthesia

Rather than spells, an Alchemical tablet could be made.