Author Topic: AT11 and 12  (Read 804 times)

Offline Widukind

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
AT11 and 12
« on: December 03, 2023, 02:50:15 PM »
How to create armor of AT 11 or 12. I didn't find anything in the Treasure Companion

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: AT11 and 12
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 05:05:13 PM »
They are generally reserved for natural armor of certain creatures, such as dragons and wyverns. I don't think there is any way to make that armor, though certain spells or magical effects might give an effective AT 11 or 12.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Widukind

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 01:10:10 AM »
I have not found the cost of these animal skins. You can certainly have armor made from these skins by an alchemist (Treasure Companion) or simply buy it. But I didn't find anything about that, even the costs of such armor. Maybe you can help me/us here.

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 06:03:24 AM »
It's the Armour type when it is on the creature, not when it has later been transformed into armour for others to wear.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 07:39:52 AM »
Actually, it should be possible to create leather armors with AT11 or 12, since some items are listed in RMSS Treasure Companion (Section 16.1.2, 11th-20th level, dragonskin armor). One is AT12 with +15 DB and encumbers as AT10, the other is AT11 with +15 DB and encumbers as AT9. There is also an AT3 dragonskin armor (shirt) that  gives +10 to DB and does not encumber at all.

Presumably, one would need alchemy to work the caveworm hide, basilisk hide, and dragonette hide to create those armors. But it can be done. I would assume that level 18 spell 'work magic leather' would provide the capability to work the hide, and armor III or armor II spells would provide the DB bonus. It is a bit difficult to know where the reduced encumbrance comes from - my guess is that it is because they are shaped as AT10 and 9 respectively (and as such have the corresponding encumbrance penalties) - the increased AT is not a function of coverage, but a function of material.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 04:12:18 PM »
There is a notation in one of the Companions or even Ch&Ca Law that they are natural armours for animals and are included for "completeness" in the armour listing and that it is rare for humanoids to have said armour unless it is made from the hides of the animals and it is usually is a family heirloom and very difficult to obtain.  We only allow it if a player has rolled on Special Items Background options and is able to choose the item as an armour.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 10:33:40 PM »
The tables assume the target's movements are largely unrestricted, as a creature in its own hide. If you make armor out of it, that generally won't be true unless there is also some magic to improve the mobility. Similarly, if you make armor out of AT 3 or 4 animal hides, it should be treated as an appropriate type of leather armor, while AT 3 and 4 are natural armor.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 01:32:24 AM »
It's more than just unrestricted movement, the creatures with these AT generally have protection too deep to wear. Consider real life examples with this AT: rhinoceros and elephant. Neither is noted for its nimble dodging. Rhino skin can be two inches thick in the most heavily-protected areas. No human is going to wear that. While it has weaker spots, it doesn't have the inherent weaknesses to allow joint mobility that manufactured armors do. Elephant skin is somewhat less formidable, maxing out at only one-and-a-half inches thick and without the rhino's especially tough qualities. Although seeing that hippos are less armored than elephants according to old RM stats (and not just a little AT 4 vs. 12), I'm not sure trying to argue from reality is actually worthwhile. Hippos don't have toughness-enhanced skin like rhinos, but it is at least as thick as an elephant's hide.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 11:01:07 PM »
IMO, basically just treat them like magic items from a power level standpoint and do what you want.
Better yet, make an adventure out of obtaining the materials and the crafting of them.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 12:53:18 AM »
IMO, basically just treat them like magic items from a power level standpoint and do what you want.
Better yet, make an adventure out of obtaining the materials and the crafting of them.
Given magical armors of AT 11 and 12 are qualified as dragonskin, I think the adventure to find at least some of the materials writes itself :)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 11:23:36 PM »
Given magical armors of AT 11 and 12 are qualified as dragonskin, I think the adventure to find at least some of the materials writes itself :)
You just have to live through the adventure to make use of it!

One of the things I love about Rolemaster. Certain monsters, like Dragons, aren't pushovers like they are in other systems.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 12:46:22 AM »
You just have to live through the adventure to make use of it!

One of the things I love about Rolemaster. Certain monsters, like Dragons, aren't pushovers like they are in other systems.
Dragons seldom are pushovers in any system, unless you calibrate them to be (dragonlings).

But conversely, I had a flying dragon slain by a single dagger strike in RM. The dragon was flying in for another pass after having wrecked half the superstructure of the ship they were on, and the character long door-ed right in front of its eyes, dagger pointed the right way... and everything worked.

Offline Pete_Keller

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 06:01:19 PM »
Dragons seldom are pushovers in any system, unless you calibrate them to be (dragonlings).

But conversely, I had a flying dragon slain by a single dagger strike in RM. The dragon was flying in for another pass after having wrecked half the superstructure of the ship they were on, and the character long door-ed right in front of its eyes, dagger pointed the right way... and everything worked.
We had a mid level party (5th to 10th) with 1 brand new 1st level player.  The dragon is flying in when the new player says "well, this can't hurt" and rolls a to-hit in the high 400s/low 500s the critical was arrow enters eye, pierces brain instant death.  we now have a dragon crashing on the party.   :o