Author Topic: Names in Shadow World  (Read 4978 times)

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Names in Shadow World
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 01:58:44 AM »
btw, you may refer to http://generators.christopherpound.com/ for some inspiration.
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 02:22:34 AM »
i also made my code (cli) available under
https://code.google.com/p/langconflux/

have fun.
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 04:41:38 AM »
One thing I considered (way more time consuming) was going through all the books, making a note of every NPC name I came across, plus race or culture and sex, and splitting the names into pieces, then using those pieces to generate random names.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 09:58:52 PM »
What cultures, or whatever, real or fictional, if any, have been used as inspiration for the personal names in the various Kulthean societies? I get a Dragonriders of Pern feeling from the Cloudlords, for example.

Sorry I did not initially realize that this might be directed at me, as opposed to general discussion.

Many of the early SW names come from a list that a friend (she played in one of my campaigns) gave me back in the 80's of names she said she made up. There were pages of them, and I only picked ones that sounded good to me and that I did not recognize.

I never read Dragonriders of Pern, so as far as I know that was not an influence. Many of the older names of course come from the Kugor and Erlin/Muri-elven vocabulary, which is in the Atlas. Others I simply made up, though with some idea in the back of my head for certain races/cultures preferring certain vowel and consonant use. Hope that is somewhat helpful

Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 04:12:30 AM »
Sorry I did not initially realize that this might be directed at me, as opposed to general discussion.

Many of the early SW names come from a list that a friend (she played in one of my campaigns) gave me back in the 80's of names she said she made up. There were pages of them, and I only picked ones that sounded good to me and that I did not recognize.

I never read Dragonriders of Pern, so as far as I know that was not an influence. Many of the older names of course come from the Kugor and Erlin/Muri-elven vocabulary, which is in the Atlas. Others I simply made up, though with some idea in the back of my head for certain races/cultures preferring certain vowel and consonant use. Hope that is somewhat helpful

Yes, I probably didn't make that clear enough. So no clear references for most of the cultures/races then, just what sounded right?

Kind of surprised you haven't read any of the Pern books. Why I thought the Cloudlords might be inspired by them is that the names of the actual Dragonriders are things like F'lar, F'nor and F'lessan.
I made some things! Azukail Games