Author Topic: Arms Law with HARP  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Arms Law with HARP
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:48:40 AM »
I know this has been discussed before because I remember reading it somewhere!!

But, when using Arms Law with HARP, some issues come up about bolt spells, scaling, and ranges. I vaguely remember someone asking about this before; specifically, the correlation between Arms Law range modifiers and HARP range scalability as applied to bolt spells...

To make a long post short, I need some direction when combining HARP with RMFRP combat. Would someone be so kind as to help me find the old posts or simply help me out? :-\

Thanks,
rww
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Arms Law with HARP
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:37:26 AM »
I can't help with old posts, but I'd suggest to give HARPer's Bazaar #11 a try, which introduces a very RM-like combat system. It is IMO even possible to modify those HB11 rules and use at least the AL critical tables, perhaps even the weapon tables.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:27:16 AM »
That very document (HB11) is what spawned the posts I was speaking about... there was some confusion between the #11 combat style (with associated modifications) and some spell scaling options...

The reason I want to use Arms Law is for the expanded crits...
 :-\...
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:46:54 AM »
I thought there was a document in the Vault (which I can't seem to access right now) that gave a very simple chart for converting HARP crits over to the A-E method.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:51:42 AM »
Jolt

Roll your Lock Lore, apply the bonus result to you Locks & Traps Skill, the vaults difficulty is "hard -10"
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:22:57 AM »
Jolt

Roll your Lock Lore, apply the bonus result to you Locks & Traps Skill, the vaults difficulty is "hard -10"

Locks and Traps is a restricted skill for me.  Most of my DP's went to the English/Theatre TP.  This was a very expensive TP in which you are, apparently, not allowed to know what skills you gained.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:36:09 AM »
Ack! :bang:

I'm just going to forget the whole thing and use HB 11...

I let these things worry me too much... :-\
www.strategypage.com

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 11:54:55 AM »
If it isn't in the Vault, I'll try to find the one I printed out (but never used) and I can scan it over to you.

jolt

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:58:24 PM »
I will look in the Vault also, but if I don't find it, I appreciate your help! ;D

I hope I can find my old copy of HB11 :-\

Otherwise I will have to buy it again :'(
www.strategypage.com

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »
Found it!
Here is a link to it in the Vault...

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item414

However, after looking at it, I still want to find my HB11 if only to compare them and see which I think will work best for us.
www.strategypage.com

Offline masque1223

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
My understanding with the pdfs was that if you bought one and lost the file, there should be a record of the purchase in the shop, and it shouldn't cost you anything to redownload it.

Edit:  Just looked at my account where I purchased Bazaar 12, and the above is indeed the case.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 08:49:38 AM »
Ack!
I had EA11... not HB11 :-[

Anyway, I just picked up HB11 and will be using that.
Thanks everyone for the help!
www.strategypage.com

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 11:18:25 PM »
I'm using the Direct Damage Resolution janpmueller presented, but I find referring to the chart so often that Crits get re-read and it gets old looking up on a chart, so I tweaked it.

Players roll 1d6 with their roll, and (depending on whether their weapon is Krush, Puncture or Slash) 1-5 results in either a (-#x5) penalty, # rounds of stun, or bleeding # hits per round (in that order of type).  If the player rolls a 6, THEN he rolls again for a critical (depending on the severity of the initial attack roll, as in janpmueller's system).

I need to playtest it, as I'm afraid over time it'll become imbalanced.  But so far I like it because it allows Rolemaster crits often enough to be useful but rare enough to be exciting, yet allowing Healing to be necessary.  The only drawback is that it makes combat less necessary.  But my group will be used to World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, and a few players with D20 experience.

If you'd like, I made up a 1-page PDF of my system, but if you really like Rolemaster-style Critical-per-attack, I highly recommend janpmueller's system!

The link to the thread is here: Simple Combat System: Direct Damage Resolution with Second Roll for Critical

Excuse me there, I forgot what this thread was about!

I remember Tim posting some kind of conversion in a thread.  I couldn't find the thread, but the conversion was something along the lines of using different type of Bolt tables from Rolemaster.  Since the Fire bolt, Light bolt and Cold bolt (or whatever it was) were different, they scaled up, which might be used with the HARP scales.  I'll try to figure that out, and I'll be sure to post when I come up with something (as I'm also using Rolemaster Crits).  Sorry for the mixup!

Offline Uriel

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 08:01:25 AM »
Ack! :bang:

I'm just going to forget the whole thing and use HB 11...

I let these things worry me too much... :-\

I'm using HB11 and the specific hit locations from martial law. It is working great, with loads of different crit results, people being able to call shots (Important, as I am using NotLD Style Zombies, hit them in the head!). One guy laments that a '100' roll is a hand hit, since ) is the hand, but I gave in and let the final roll from the Open Ended roll decide the target location.

-Uriel

Offline Mauro

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 08:10:55 AM »
I think the rules say that it is the final roll the one that determines the location hit.

Offline Uriel

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 11:46:45 PM »
I think the rules say that it is the final roll the one that determines the location hit.

Yeah, I figured, but still...his mantra when rolling 'No 100s, no 100s...' is pretty damned funny.

-Uriel

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »
Has anybody replaced HARP combat and armor rules with Arms Law?
What modifications have you found to be necessary?
www.strategypage.com

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 05:30:34 AM »
Really?
Nobody?
www.strategypage.com

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
Same question about using Combat Companion with Harp. I suppose this has already been addressed but I'm (very) short time those days. CAn anyone direct me to the good thread so that I can read it... much later ?
Thanks by advance.
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 11:45:27 AM »
Really?
Nobody?

I had tinkered with this idea briefly but nothing ever really came of it.  I realised that I was making HARP more and more like RM which isn't really what I wanted and was kind of silly as I could just play RM.  Sometimes an idea seems great in my head but in actual application it putters out.

jolt