Author Topic: Building the greatest swordsman that ever lived....then what?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline foilfodder

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Building the greatest swordsman that ever lived....then what?
« on: January 28, 2023, 01:17:34 PM »
So you want to play the greatest swordsman that ever lived? Maybe you actually want an archer, knife-fighter or someone wielding a giant axe or hammer...the creation and process stays pretty much the same. You have a set number of Development Points each level to split between Stats, Skills and Talents.

Priority 1 - 20 ranks in Skill
Under the H.A.R.P. system using Development Points on Skills has the best payoff the first 10 ranks and decent the next 10 ranks (20 total).  By level 6 your character can have 21 ranks for a Skill bonus of +71. Assuming Combat is a favored Skill Catagory, the cost a 2 Development Points for 1 Skill rank which increases the bonus by only +1 is poor investment.

Priority 2 - Stats : Increase Strength and Agility
Weapon Skills use Strength and Agility.  Since the Skill cap in ranks is 3+(3x character level) you can't burn all your development points getting your combat skill to rank 20 at 2nd level. Investing 5 to 10 Development Points into Strength and Agility per level till you at least get to 90 in both for a bonus of +8 for each.

Priority 3 - Bonuses from Talents
With 21 Skill ranks and Strength and Agility at 90 each your level 6 character can swing their weapon at +87. A H.A.R.P. orc is rated at level 6 with a O.B. of 105 and D.B. of 80.  To match the orc in skill, take the Highly Skilled Talent in your choosen weapon three times for 10 development point each time granting a total of +30. You can attack at +117 now which beats the orc, congrats!

Professional Bonuses:
The Rogue profession can offer an additional bonus of +15 to one skill by 6th level (or maxed at +25 by 12th level) .  Martial Artists would want to choose the Monk Profession instead for a +10 skill bonus and upgrade in crit size.

Equipment and Magical bonuses:
At this point your Level 6 Rogue using a sword/bow/hammer/axe has reached a plateau at +131 (or Monk with Martial Arts at +126). Getting your hands on superior equipment or magic to enchant will depend on your G.M. and the campaign they are running.

So now we get to the "...then what?"

Where to go from here depends on your ideas for your character.
Do you continue to use 6 DPs for 3 Skill ranks per level to increase Skill Bonus by +3?
Switch to a profession with spells that boost your combat capabilities?
Spend all those Development Points to boost your Strength and Agility past 90 or even 100?

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
Re: Building the greatest swordsman that ever lived....then what?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 07:36:00 PM »
I am not able to locate the 'Highly Skilled' Talent. Can you please direct me to it?

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 08:07:49 PM »
Then what?

Then you dig out Martial Law and look into combat styles and such.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline foilfodder

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 10:01:52 PM »
I am not able to locate the 'Highly Skilled' Talent. Can you please direct me to it?

My bad, it is a Talent in the standard HARP book but called "Skill Specialization" not "Highly Skilled". I didn't proofread the original post well enough.

Offline foilfodder

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 12:19:55 AM »
Then what?

Then you dig out Martial Law and look into combat styles and such.

I made sure to include DPs to spend on a combat style, secondary weapon, resistances, perception, armor, endurance, etc. Not maxed ranks like the primary weapon skill, but enough that the character has some versatility.

I was more wonderig where each poster would direct character development if it were theirs.
Exampes sticking with mastery of arms (although you could go mage, warrior mage, paladin or cleric)...
- ranks of public speaking and sailing to takeup piracy and revenge?
- riding, disguise and acrobatics to fight crime and injustice?
- professinal ranks of pottery and brew sake to pass the time between teaching students?
- hiding/stalking to sneak up on unsuspecting girls near your hermit island?
- wander the lands, driving your foes before you till you sit on a throne as king?

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 02:42:27 PM »
Leadership, tactics, recruiting (from War Law) to become a mercenary captain!

Offline JakeM.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Formerly an Angelic elven warrior, now a dad.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 12:59:44 AM »

So now we get to the "...then what?"

Where to go from here depends on your ideas for your character.
Do you continue to use 6 DPs for 3 Skill ranks per level to increase Skill Bonus by +3?
Switch to a profession with spells that boost your combat capabilities?
Spend all those Development Points to boost your Strength and Agility past 90 or even 100?

We used to contemplate this a lot when going thru Lords of the Middle Earth and/or some Shadow World modules with high level characters.
The numbers just didn’t add upp.
Dibs on that broadsword!