Author Topic: Stat Modification Spells  (Read 3590 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Stat Modification Spells
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »
This was a nice topic to read.  In all my role playing, I have truly hated spells that actually increase a stat's score.  Instead, I have always altered the spell so that it gave a bonus to using the stat instead of actually increasing the stat.  I have always found that the stat bonus addition worked better than the stat increase.

Reasoning: Power-user says, "I can make your agility easier to use, but I cannot actually improve your agility without also performing a transmogrification to physically change your body."

And if you physically change a person to improve their agility (example), then you will also affect the other physical stats of quickness, strength, and constitution.  Thus, if you physically change a person to improve their agility, you might end up actually lowering their strength.

Make sense?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Stat Modification Spells
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:31:03 PM »
I agree in concept, especially since it rather sucked to raise a 45 to 65 and get. . .nothing.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:29:19 AM »
I agree in concept, especially since it rather sucked to raise a 45 to 65 and get. . .nothing.

It's even worse for the Strength spell: if your St bonus is -2, you could end up with a -8 after casting the spell.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:06:04 AM »
Yes, the x mods don't work so hot vs - numbers.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »
It's even worse for the Strength spell: if your St bonus is -2, you could end up with a -8 after casting the spell.

In this case, I usually changed the -2 to a +2, applied the effect, then added that to the normal modifier (-2 + 8 = +6).  At least that is how I have always handled spells that technically should give positive results.  I know doing this is not RAW, but the way I did things.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 06:15:18 AM »

In this case, I usually changed the -2 to a +2, applied the effect, then added that to the normal modifier (-2 + 8 = +6).  At least that is how I have always handled spells that technically should give positive results.  I know doing this is not RAW, but the way I did things.

rmfr

I like the idea, but I'm noticing that (|-4| x 4) - 4 = +12.  The worse your bonus going in, the bigger the final result will be.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 03:56:16 PM »
maybe you should move this to Rolemaster general or RMFRP.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »
What spells modify stats?  I can't recall any from RMFRP or RMSS.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »
Strength, as one for instance.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »
This was a nice topic to read.  In all my role playing, I have truly hated spells that actually increase a stat's score.  Instead, I have always altered the spell so that it gave a bonus to using the stat instead of actually increasing the stat.  I have always found that the stat bonus addition worked better than the stat increase.
If you play with the RoCO III "Innate Stat abilities", it's better IMO to have a stat increase than a stat bonus increase when the increase goes beyond 101.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
What we do is we look at the stat total and figure what stat would be closest to giving that bonus and grant statpicks from that. So to us it doesn't matter that much if the spell affects the stat or the bonus.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 06:47:53 AM »
What spells modify stats?  I can't recall any from RMFRP or RMSS.

Strength and Strength of the Bear multiply St bonus by some factor (x2 - x4).  Holy Strength provides a bonus to St (+5 - +15).  Correlation provides a bonus to Re (+25 - +50).  Recall Fact provides a bonus to Me (+25 - +50).  Resolve provides a bonus to SD (+25 - +50).

All of these are RMSS spells.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 06:48:44 AM »
What we do is we look at the stat total and figure what stat would be closest to giving that bonus and grant statpicks from that. So to us it doesn't matter that much if the spell affects the stat or the bonus.

That's what we did in RM2 as well.  We tried to base as much as possible off of stat bonuses rather than raw stats.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
If you play with the RoCO III "Innate Stat abilities", it's better IMO to have a stat increase than a stat bonus increase when the increase goes beyond 101.

True.  Totally true.  However, we always ruled that the "Innate Stat Abilities" were due to natural stats or natural potential stat increases, not enchanted increases.  At every level, we had a chance to increase a potential stat by:
01-95 = no increase
96-99 = +1 potential increase
00 = +2 potential increase

rmfr

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 01:37:14 AM »
At every level, we had a chance to increase a potential stat by:
01-95 = no increase

This is what we have always done also

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »
At every level, we had a chance to increase a potential stat by:
01-95 = no increase

Never used anything like that as potentials are explained as genetic maximums. what you start with is what you get to work with except for some herbs (Phaculus? from ToME) and another herb in the basic book.