Author Topic: Store Proprietor Atributes  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Jacinto Pat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Store Proprietor Atributes
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »
I'm afraid I don't see where having a random shop keeper generator would be useful.  Unless the seller is a plot device (will give the character information, try to rip off the characters, lie to the police to cause the characters problems or what ever) I simple don't worry about them.  If a character wants to buy something and is where it reasonably expected to be sold they can just do it without roleplaying the transaction.  If the seller is a plot device, then the attributes of the seller are determined about how they fit into the story and not randomly. 

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
The need for a random shop keeper generator is entirely dependant on the GM and the setting, quite of course.

In games where your PCs will travel a lot, generating complex personalities for every NPC is both tiring and a wasteful effort. However, if your PCs are going to be living in a more controlled enviroment, having as many colourful characters as feasible is desireable IMO. As stated, I don't roll for randomness, quite almost never, but some GMs do like randomness, so each to its own!  ;D

Offline mightypawn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 03:53:24 PM »
I'm afraid I don't see where having a random shop keeper generator would be useful.  Unless the seller is a plot device (will give the character information, try to rip off the characters, lie to the police to cause the characters problems or what ever) I simple don't worry about them.  If a character wants to buy something and is where it reasonably expected to be sold they can just do it without roleplaying the transaction.  If the seller is a plot device, then the attributes of the seller are determined about how they fit into the story and not randomly.

The idea is to roleplay the encounter.  Plus, many of us simply do not find it reasonable that every shopkeeper would have every item.  Having an inventory generated for a store makes it much more real.  Having someone interesting to talk to, even if it's the only time you'll ever meet that character, makes it more fun!

And here's the kicker...

I believe that both you and your players do far more fleshing out of personality, and real character, when they are found in a 'neutral' environment.  They aren't expected to be hero's, they aren't expected to be xxxxx (fill in noble attribute).  In such circumstances, the characters come out of the boxed shells we force them into by sending them off on heroic adventures, and we actually get to meet them. 

Granted, a simple encounter at a weapon-smith's shop isn't the only way to accomplish this, but it's a regular part of most games, and in the end it can be quite rewarding, even create new mini-plots and adventures.... (created by the players!)

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »
I see the random store as a fun tool for the GM. As a beginning GM, it can give me ideas about underused items to include in the campaign. I won't have to open another book during game session, less to bring it with me (I don't play at home).

The store owner generator is like a (an?) NPC specific generator. I could find some use for that too! I don't find it easy to come with NPC personalities on the spot. I am still learning what to prepare for a game session and how to GM, so my players got me unprepared a few times. With a NPC generator, no need to worry anymore!  :D
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 12:51:03 PM »
I have detailed stores and such, but my basic rule of thumb when it comes to inventory is: Do I want the players to be able to buy/steal a particular item?
Darn that salt pork!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 02:25:28 PM »
This topic finally piqued my curiosity.

If I need to generate a personality for a shopkeeper, I just use the Role Trait tables in the RMFRP Rolemaster book on page 29.  Most often, I will just pick, unless I want a truly random result.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.