Forum > Rolemaster

What do I need?

(1/5) > >>

Ramoran:
Hey guys.  Did a search on this topic and didn't find anything.  If I'm a GM and want to start a Rolemaster campaign, what books should I pick up to start?  I was thinking about picking up the rules, Character Law, and Arms Law to start.  Will I need the Spell Law books as well?

Also, are the pdfs really 5800 pages long?  Because I'm going to have to print them off, and that's a pretty hefty amount of paper and ink.  I'd probably have to take it to a print shop or something.

Mungo:
Hi,

Minimum is Rolemaster Express and nothing else.

For full RM you have to decide whether RMC or RMFRP.

For RMFRP you need only the basic book at the beginning, but its complicated.

For RMC you need all books.

And 5800 is not the page count but the order number. So its about 200 pages max per book.

Br
Juergen

Marc R:
Yeah, bare minimum is the RMX core book PDF.

That gives you the taste of RM, from there choose RMC or RMFRP.

RMFRP core book is all you need to basicly cover the center, expanding out you'd buy the other titles as they interest you. If you ask, you'll likely get lots of different answers on which direction to go in terms of what books in what order. (You'd need to ask an RMFRP person that one.)

RMC wise, RMX is essentially the "core book" extracted from it, so you can then expand out by purchasing the bit of the rest that interests you. Again, here you'll likely get different priorities and choices from different people. If you want more magic, buy Spell Law, if you want more in depth character choices, races, professions, skills and more GM stuff, buy Character Law. If you want more in depth combat, buy Arms Law. My preference there would be to expand RMX to Character Law, then Spell Law, then Arms Law.

Rasyr-Mjolnir:

--- Quote from: Ramoran on November 28, 2007, 11:42:20 AM ---Hey guys.  Did a search on this topic and didn't find anything.  If I'm a GM and want to start a Rolemaster campaign, what books should I pick up to start?  I was thinking about picking up the rules, Character Law, and Arms Law to start.  Will I need the Spell Law books as well?

--- End quote ---

Depends on the version of Rolemaster you want to play.

If you want Rolemaster Classic, you can start with just RMX (SKU #6500p) -- http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_42&products_id=304 (an 88 page PDF)-- and then expand from there into the core RM Classic rules as you see fit, or take things a bit more slowly with the Express Additions PDFs.

If you want Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplaying, then all you need to get started is the Rolemaster Fantasy RolePlaying book (SKU #5800p) -- http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_38&products_id=252 -- a 256 page PDF. You can then expands things from there with Arms Law, the 3 Of xxx books for macic, Character Law, etc...

--- Quote from: Ramoran on November 28, 2007, 11:42:20 AM ---Also, are the pdfs really 5800 pages long?  Because I'm going to have to print them off, and that's a pretty hefty amount of paper and ink.  I'd probably have to take it to a print shop or something.

--- End quote ---

5800 would be the stock number, not its page count.

Ramoran:
Thanks for the tips, guys.  I've been playing SM:2, and I'm interested in playing with the additive rules, so I think I'll try RM:FRP.  I've already started marinating some ideas in my brain for a campaign.  A few more days and I should be scrawling ideas all over a notebook or something.  Then I just need to rope in some players.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version