Forum > Rolemaster

Magent Shadow Assassin spell question

<< < (2/5) > >>

Majyk:
I dunno if 1min/lvl is all that long for such a spell.
Invisibility is 24 hours and masks “physicality” from perception until a named condition in its description ends it, so I’d give the same kind of duration for it instead.  That and it’s 4th lvl.

This especially since it would be a rare use for someone scrying anyway.  As said above, GMs can vary this but Semis pay through the nose for spells in the first place so be kind to them, heh.

EltonJ:

--- Quote from: Majyk on August 11, 2022, 03:46:30 PM ---I dunno if 1min/lvl is all that long for such a spell.
Invisibility is 24 hours and masks “physicality” from perception until a named condition in its description ends it, so I’d give the same kind of duration for it instead.  That and it’s 4th lvl.

This especially since it would be a rare use for someone scrying anyway.  As said above, GMs can vary this but Semis pay through the nose for spells in the first place so be kind to them, heh.

--- End quote ---

You're right.  So, how would you approach this, then -- Majyk?

rdanhenry:
Invisibility only covers one sense and is negated by violent action. 1 min/lvl allows you to slip away, kill somebody, and get back to mingling at the party and effectively jams all the security cameras that are figuratively everywhere when you have guys who can observe the past. Even better if you just need to borrow a certain book and might use the same spell again to return it when done, leaving nobody aware that your crime ever took place. These require careful planning, of course, but you probably shouldn't be playing a spy/assassin type if you don't want to plan. You can also mix with invisibility, using it to cover the time between negating your initial invisibility by attacking and when you recast.

MisterK:

--- Quote from: rdanhenry on August 11, 2022, 06:17:22 PM ---Invisibility only covers one sense and is negated by violent action. 1 min/lvl allows you to slip away, kill somebody, and get back to mingling at the party and effectively jams all the security cameras that are figuratively everywhere when you have guys who can observe the past. Even better if you just need to borrow a certain book and might use the same spell again to return it when done, leaving nobody aware that your crime ever took place. These require careful planning, of course, but you probably shouldn't be playing a spy/assassin type if you don't want to plan. You can also mix with invisibility, using it to cover the time between negating your initial invisibility by attacking and when you recast.

--- End quote ---
The spell masks against divination and scrying spells. Not against detection spells and any physical senses. I'm not sure it is *that* powerful unless combined with a host of other spells. Unless divination and scrying spells with long time backtrack effect are common police procedures.

Since there is no "II", "III" and other spells to extend duration, I'd go with 10 min/level, which seems fairly standard for the list. The other "fairly standard" duration being 1 hr/level.

pastaav:
My take on the magent spell is that it does not have a fixed duration because it covers the assassination attempt and not a specific time period. The actual masked time period is determined by how long time is needed to satisfy the shadow/unseen/false assassin effect. The balancing factor is that the spell is strictly limited to assassinations so you cannot use it to for instance steal a book...unless you manage to also perform an assassination while you steal the book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version