Author Topic: Compensated weapon system for CC  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Compensated weapon system for CC
« on: April 05, 2009, 03:33:37 AM »
I am revising again the attack tables in CC, leaving out the magic, for weapons I see that is great, I though that some weapons was much lowered in power, i.e. war hammer uses type III, but looking at tables (Bashing in this case) we see that is correct as this table is in 2-handed weapon scale directly, is not like blades, where long blades are for 1-handed and great blades for 2-handed. So I apologize for my mistake in this case.

But, in the other hand, if not a great adjustment I see that a little adjustment is needed, in the way for compensate weapons. In bashing attacks we have good examples, tonfa vs. war hammer, if both have the same FR and type, why war hammer have -15 OB, it should use the same -10 than tonfa; nunchacku vs. pick, who will be the one using nunchacku, if it has greater FR with greater penalty OB?, so IMO nunchacku should have a bonus to additional attacks in the way that it has no penalty (the -20 one) for the 2nd attack (but it will have a -40, -60...for next ones).

We have cases, like in bows, where the advantage of long bow is greater range than composite bow, so it is correct.

As summary, all weapons should be compensated to others, if there are clearly better weapons (and more in the same category), then there is no reason to develop the worst ones.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Compensated weapon system for CC
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 05:31:55 AM »
As summary, all weapons should be compensated to others, if there are clearly better weapons (and more in the same category), then there is no reason to develop the worst ones.

The fact is that some weapons are better than others... (In real life, I mean)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:07:51 AM »
The cost can be a factor (more if you want a bonus one), so better weapons are usually more expensive, I said this in a general way, so it is true that we should look at trade tables and compare, but at the end the weapons should be compensated by their "numbers", including the cost.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:19:03 AM »
The problem is that CC (as Arms Law) covers weapons from all around the world and from very different historical periods, and imho it's gonna be very hard finding a coherent way to make them balanced...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:44:53 AM »
One aspect of the original AL tables that I did really like is that it isn't obvious what weapons are better then others.  One must really examine the tables to figure out the "best" weapon and even then it's not the best in all cases.    The result was that my players have always just picked weapons based on their character idea and what they wanted with no thought as to the "best" weapon.

This is mitigated somewhat with the CC tables since weapons are ranked.