Author Topic: Quick bolt spells?  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Quick bolt spells?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 07:20:20 AM »
Anywho, back on track.
My original concearn is that all spells on the list are quick. Would it be proper to add a spell that isn't quick? It would alter the list appearence totally...

So would adding an Elemental spell....

And the "appearance" of the spell list doesn't really matter. What matters, IMO, is that the spell you want to add does not fit into the "theme" of the spell list (and also that making an elemental bolt instantaneous does not fit into how all other directed spells work).

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 08:41:19 AM »
The problem I see is that, at least in RMSS/RMFRP, instantaneous spell require only 10% activity in a round thus leaving 90% activity for actions like melee attack or parrying.

That is mainly the problem, see that any other instantaneous spell has a RR in the process, but a bolt spell is an attack and can be abuse in combat as in short distances the bonus is much increased, so you could cast the bolt with a +35 bonus for range mod. and have all your OB - 10 (for 10% activity used).

Use the bolts in the usual way, I have a magician and being all bolts/balls no instantaneous, mixing with other BAR spells instantaneous, is the real RM combat tactic purpose. So better not make instantaneous 'OB' attacks.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »
Rasyr> I would of course argue differently. I think it fits the theme fine but at the same time I understand what you mean. Introducing an Elemental spell in a list with only Force and Utility spells.

The wording on the existing spells:
"Caster points their arm at the target and channels raw powersource."
Nether can be described as the elment of raw destruction. (I read this somewhere and it kind of stuck in my head.)
So channeling nether to me fits very well within a list with spells already channeling raw powersource. One could naturally discuss what element to use as "raw power"?
Thus it fits themewise.

But you are very much correct that it's not an elemental list.
Otoh, looking at Magician base lists who are considered elemental lists they contain three spell types in general. Utility/Force/Elemental.
So, if it's ok on the Magician base lists it should be ok otherwise as well.

Still I think your thoughts on quick bolt spell are valid. There are no quick bolt spells and probably for a reason.
If you feel it doesen't matter introducing a "slow" spell in a quick list this may be the best solution?
I'll discuss this with the GM and see what we come up with.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 09:34:46 AM »
thrud -- I have no problem with researching and learning a Nether Bolt attack for the Dark Channels list. That isn't the issue.

The issue is making an instantaneous OB attack spell. As Dark Schneider points out, this gives a tremendous advantage to the caster of such a spell. So huge an advantage that no other caster can stand up to it.

First action every round? Nether Bolt nearest target. It is a game changer. The casting times are one of the few balancing factors available, since there is little that can be done against bolt spells except hope that you don't get hit.

My previous comment about an elemental spell "messing up the appearance" of the list was in reaction to YOUR comment about having a non-instantaneous spell on the list (and note: that list DOES have a non-instantaneous spell on it already) messing up the "appearance" of the list.  ;D

Side Note: Nether is not described in RM books as being a force of desctructiveness. It is described as being a force of nothingness

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 09:57:38 AM »
Rasyr> Cool, I missed that one. Never really looked at the lv 50 spells since I rarely make it above lv 10. :D
I think we're on the same page and I understand your concearns.
In the end I just needed to discuss this with a broader base of people.

I totally concur with your last answer.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 02:42:49 PM »
 If you want a pure game mechanic option maybe lower the action % needed for casting the spell but put a limit on it such that it does not approch the action % of an instant spell.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 03:25:09 PM »
markc> No, I'm with Rasyr on this one. There's no need for that.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 01:05:02 PM »
Spell mastery could resolve this issue.  Making a spell instantaneous could be a -50 mnv, or higher.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.