Author Topic: Questions about Combat Companion  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Questions about Combat Companion
« on: July 21, 2008, 06:48:35 AM »
I have seen a pair of attack tables, I know too that is has 'styles' options, then I'd like to know about some points:

1) I see the Fire Table and about 'balls' I suppose that now are developed as directed spells, using the bolts range modifiers, is that correct?.

2) Criticals: are all criticals rolled in the same table with the severity modifier? In that case I think I like more the old criticals, if not I think the system is too random-deadly, as you can kill with an 'A' critical only depending on the dice roll. I like those 'walls' that split perfectly criticals and their limits.
But then, are perfectly usable the old critical tables with the new combat tables?, I suppose that is fine.
And how about large and huge criticals?, are the normal criticals used?, in that case I think large and huge creatures can be easily killed.
For that I think I like more the old ones, but if the combat and old critical tables are compatible then there is no problem.

3) Attack tables: I like very much the new system, you use less tables, you can add very easily new weapons only determining its table, type and mods. Very easy to use, and it has yet much detail (I think really is not necessary having 20 columns with 1-by-1 results). At the same time the tables are correct, they has no the problem of tables from 'the armory' where low ATs have advantage.
I don't know all the tables, so I'd like to know if there is a 'generic' table as the old 'brawling' one.

4) Styles: I only know that you use the style bonus as OB, so, can styles be used entirely as rank-based skills?, I'd like to know if it is not unbalanced with that style system using the original OB always (weapon, MA, etc.) and using the 'style' only by ranks. I know that any option has its penalties and limits (for example for multiple foes) so I think using the style as OB is not necessary, the explanation bellow.
Suppose a character with +120 OB in bow, it has few ranks and bonus in a bow-style, then, using the style not automatically convert it in a low-skilled with the bow, it has good skill with it, but IMO it simply can use few and low options with the style, in other words, obtain few benefits.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Questions about Combat Companion
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:34:19 AM »
I have seen a pair of attack tables, I know too that is has 'styles' options, then I'd like to know about some points:

1) I see the Fire Table and about 'balls' I suppose that now are developed as directed spells, using the bolts range modifiers, is that correct?.

The new attack tables have no effect upon an attacks range or range modifiers. Those are still the same as before.

Nor are ball spells learned in any different manner than before (i.e. there is no new skill for it). The only change is what table you roll the attack on.

2) Criticals: are all criticals rolled in the same table with the severity modifier? In that case I think I like more the old criticals, if not I think the system is too random-deadly, as you can kill with an 'A' critical only depending on the dice roll. I like those 'walls' that split perfectly criticals and their limits.
But then, are perfectly usable the old critical tables with the new combat tables?, I suppose that is fine.

Each attack table has its own critical table, with the crits designed to match the type of weapon/attack being used (i.e. a dagger won't chop off anybody's arm)

While you can use the old crit tables with new attack tables, many of the crits will be just as slightly inappropriate as before. (i.e. having a dagger do a crit that cuts off a person's arm, etc..).

As for the lethality, the original critical charts (from Arms Law) is actually more lethal than the Combat Companion critical tables. In CC, you have a 1% change of doing a killing crit (i.e. an unmodified 100) with an "A" crit, while in Arms Law, you have a 5% chance of doing a killing crit (i.e. 96 -100) for an "A" crit.

And how about large and huge criticals?, are the normal criticals used?, in that case I think large and huge creatures can be easily killed.
For that I think I like more the old ones, but if the combat and old critical tables are compatible then there is no problem.

Yes, the normal criticals are used, however, they are modified by the creatures size. There are size modifiers on each page, and those modifiers apply to BOTH the attack tables and the critical results (i.e. against a Huge/Super-Large creature, you get a -30 modifier to your OB AND a -30 modifier to any critical rolls as well). This makes them much harder to kill.... ;D

3) Attack tables: I like very much the new system, you use less tables, you can add very easily new weapons only determining its table, type and mods. Very easy to use, and it has yet much detail (I think really is not necessary having 20 columns with 1-by-1 results). At the same time the tables are correct, they has no the problem of tables from 'the armory' where low ATs have advantage.
I don't know all the tables, so I'd like to know if there is a 'generic' table as the old 'brawling' one.

No, there isn't. But then again "brawling"  wasn't a single weapon type. A broken bottle is different from a frying pan, and so should use different tables. Most Brawling attacks will be Tiny, Small, or at the most, Medium in size, and each of the tables contain generic modifiers based on attack size, so that generic, non-specified attacks can be used if need be. Brawling would then just use the appropriate table, and appropriate size for the attack being used, based on the situation.

4) Styles: I only know that you use the style bonus as OB, so, can styles be used entirely as rank-based skills?, I'd like to know if it is not unbalanced with that style system using the original OB always (weapon, MA, etc.) and using the 'style' only by ranks. I know that any option has its penalties and limits (for example for multiple foes) so I think using the style as OB is not necessary, the explanation bellow.

Suppose a character with +120 OB in bow, it has few ranks and bonus in a bow-style, then, using the style not automatically convert it in a low-skilled with the bow, it has good skill with it, but IMO it simply can use few and low options with the style, in other words, obtain few benefits.

The styles are a replacement for the normal weapon skills, not an addition to them. So your +120 with a Bow, would actually be with a style that uses a bow. And the way that things are setup, in converting, you would end up with approximately the same number of ranks in a Basic Weapon Group style as you had in an individual weapon previously.

There are rules that allow for the adding of maneuvers to an existing style (and more options for that can also be found in EA #8). The only things that cannot be added later are the style options. (i.e. Reduced Range Penalties and Speed Loading for Missiles)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:26:23 AM »
Nor are ball spells learned in any different manner than before (i.e. there is no new skill for it). The only change is what table you roll the attack on.

But then it is impossible to hit target, 'balls' use only the spell list ranks as OB, for that old tables begin to make dagame at results like 20+, and criticals for results like 30+. Now is a 'fire attack' type III with -5 OB, it begins to make damage with results greater than 90+, so with skill ranks it is not possible, unless develop style (read bellow).

The styles are a replacement for the normal weapon skills, not an addition to them.

OK, then now there is no weapons (attack) skills, I understand, so developing a style including the 'fire ball' you use that OB, and there is no need to develop the 'fire ball directed spell'.

As for the lethality, the original critical charts (from Arms Law) is actually more lethal than the Combat Companion critical tables. In CC, you have a 1% change of doing a killing crit (i.e. an unmodified 100) with an "A" crit, while in Arms Law, you have a 5% chance of doing a killing crit (i.e. 96 -100) for an "A" crit.

It is true, I haven't read it in detail, so is the reverse, now the combat is longer and more HP dependant, but always with a fatal blow risk, as all RM users like. Looking that it begins to like me.

Well, I'll go for the book to read it in more detail.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:55:32 AM »
OK, then now there is no weapons (attack) skills, I understand, so developing a style including the 'fire ball' you use that OB, and there is no need to develop the 'fire ball directed spell'.

There are 4 "attack" skills (or categories if you're using RMFRP/SS): Melee, Distance; Martial Arts and Directed Spells. They replace all of the old weapon skills, martial arts skills and directed spell skills.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Granito_man

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Does Combat Companion replace Arms Law?
I mean, if i intend to play RMC should i buy Character Law, Spell Law and Combat Companion instead of Arms Law?

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 09:35:29 PM »
Does Combat Companion replace Arms Law?
I mean, if i intend to play RMC should i buy Character Law, Spell Law and Combat Companion instead of Arms Law?

No, Combat companion has an optional armor system (complete with alternative attack tables), but Arms Law explain how combat works so you need it to play.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Granito_man

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 11:21:49 PM »
No, Combat companion has an optional armor system (complete with alternative attack tables), but Arms Law explain how combat works so you need it to play.
OK!
Thanks!

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
Another question about styles in CC specifically concerning the element required skill.
What is your take on the practice of having multiple required skills in your style?
CC does not specify whether this possible or not and if it is would it be advisable to do?
what do you think?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:13:47 PM »
Actually, yes it does specify...

Combat Companion, page 57, right column, under Required Skills

1) Required skills give a bonus of +1 per rank in the required skill to the style.

2) It also says that if there is more than one required skill, the one with the lowest number of ranks is used to determine that bonus.

3) It also says that the character is required to have at least half as many ranks in the required skill as he does in the style in order to get that bonus.

So the answer to the question is Yes, you can have more than one required skill for a style. It also means that if you have multiple required skills, then the one with the lowest number of ranks must still have at least half of the number of ranks as you have ranks in the style, or you do not get the bonus to the style.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »
yes all of this I could read for my self. You quote the book well yet you fail to answer the question. That is unless your answer, when you boil it down, is that I can have multiple required skills in a style but I only get a bonus from the lowest. See my problem was that I found the writing in CC to be inconcise and was hoping for a more elaborate explenation.
The thing is that if you allow only tho lowest skill to be added there really is no point in having more than one but if you allow too many - even with only the lowest setting the bar, the amount of ob gained would easiely become vast.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 03:09:54 PM »
To be clear

1) Yes, you can have multiple "Required Skills". The part where it says "if you have more than one Required Skill.." is what indicates that you CAN have more than one because it is telling you what to do IF there is more than one.

2) Yes, the "Required Skill" with the lowest number of ranks is what sets the bonus.

#2 allows for multiple Required Skills without allowing for the bonuses to stack, or become too unwieldy.

It is expected that only 1 Required Skill will be the norm, but we did not want to limit it to one should more than one apply. But we also didn't want to allow multiple bonuses, so the simplest method was to declare that the Required Skill with the least number of ranks is the one that determines the bonus.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 03:36:41 PM »
Grand so is was pretty much as I expected  :) thank you for your patience