Author Topic: Races in a Fantasy Setting  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Races in a Fantasy Setting
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »
Nope no elves. I hate them and always restrict my players to being human. We wont have to worry about any autofire. The firearms that will be uses will be either Matchlock or Wheellock, I'll have to wiki them so see which was practically used first in combat.

Granted this is the warhammer universe with cannons and all kind of stuff. I am downgrading the technology a hair, something more akin to 14th or 15th century or more precisely the Hundred years War.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Races in a Fantasy Setting
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »
How many fellow posters guessed I would give Athelstaine an idea point for his last post?

Death to elves. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 10:22:55 PM »
How many fellow posters guessed I would give Athelstaine an idea point for his last post?

Death to elves.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
Frankly, bigotry quickly becomes tedious even when the imaginary nature of its object removes at least the majority of the ethical objectionableness.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »
Frankly, death to elves.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
Frankly, death to elves.

Wow, no coffee this AM?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »
Frankly, death to elves.

Is this what you short people replaced the 'HiHo, HiHo' song with, or what?

;D
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »
I'll be even more Frank: death to all the silly races in rpg's that are there only because they are in other games and the writers lack the creative thinking ability to create original races and species that make good and proper sense in the world.

high elves, low elves (ya never hear of those!), wood elves, fey elves, white elves, drow elves, swan elves, silvan elves, etc, all make me wanna puke up my lunch.  1000 shades of the same thing, most with no origin story, all munchkins delights.  I'm not saying all munchkin races are bad either.  Warforged and Transhumans were down right cool.  Of the two, transhumans were far cooler.

Same goes for halflings, gnomes (though I really liked the way gnomes were provided some story in Arcane Companion), dwarves (hill, mountain, iron, rock, whatever) and most attempts at monsters as PC's.

The inability to wring out any drama from a human is pathetic and laughable.

That said, my recent DnD 3.5 character is a NG Asimarishwhatchamacallit Spirit Shaman/Rouge.

Elves in the RM rule books, mostly because they lack a game world (yet SW is a perfect example of a world were elves make little to no sense), are pointless characatures of what are now rpg stereotypes.  As such, they tend to be dull and boring.  Elves live for centurys?  Of course they do, elves MUST be long lived for god knows why, sometimes even immortal, which is rather moor since if they live to be 1200 years old, to any humans perception they are effectively immortal.

Back on topic, if Sd is indeed important to the use of firearms, and elves are used as is in the RM rule set, then assuming a solid story of origin to even have them in the game world, the idea certainly builds on the theme that technology leads to the waning og the "ancient" races...geez, did this conversation come around yet AGAIN to tolkien? 

Note: I have played elven PC's and had a great time.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »
I'll be even more Frank: death to all the silly races in rpg's that are there only because they are in other games and the writers lack the creative thinking ability to create original races and species that make good and proper sense in the world.
I went the opposite direction. If you keep humans as a native species of the planet, then "species that make good and proper sense in the world" pretty much makes your world Earth. So I went with that.

...most with no origin story...
That part I did something about.

Elves in the RM rule books, mostly because they lack a game world (yet SW is a perfect example of a world were elves make little to no sense), are pointless characatures of what are now rpg stereotypes.  As such, they tend to be dull and boring.  Elves live for centurys?  Of course they do, elves MUST be long lived for god knows why, sometimes even immortal, which is rather moor since if they live to be 1200 years old, to any humans perception they are effectively immortal.
The reason I kept the zayende and the !uxe (the "elves" and "dwarves" of my world) is because the origin story is just too convenient. The !uxe (pronounced roughly "KOOkay", both the ! and the x are clicks) are descendant of humans genetically modified to be asteroid miners. The zayende are descendant of humans genetically modified to be interstellar colonists.

Nobody knows how long the zayende live because there are no documented cases of one dying of old age. But then they've only been around less than 10,000 years. They were designed to be long lived to avoid problems with crews traveling below lightspeed.

Note: I have played elven PC's and had a great time.
Note: I was only yanking your chain in the earlier message because I figured I could.

;)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »
Hmm..I see you point with Elves, always have. Although some players do like them as do some GMs. I kinda cheated in the campaign world I created, it's a fact that Elves in all sorts of different flavors could have been ripped directly from the core rules (and Tolkein's works) and spat arse first into my world, but I just didn't want that, probably for the same reason you've stated here.

Don't tell my players, but the 'Fey' in my own campaign are Elves. Ok, so I changed the description (put on a few animal characteristics, such as antlers, wolf eyes and of course took off the pointed ears) added reason, culture and history and kept the same stats. It's worked a treat, I have a 'new' race, a regurgitation of an old one, and no one has even noticed.

I've managed to do the same with a few other core rule races too. Although the player who thought that a 'Half- Giant' would make an excellent OTT strength Fighter, was a little dissapointed when I actually explained that the average height for that race was 5'4" and the racial St bonus was just +5.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »
Oh, and..

Frankly, Death the Hobbits.  ;)
The giki (my world's "hobbits") are just !uxe who spend most of their lives in the sunshine. It's a cultural difference, not a genetic one, which can be a rude surprise to those who expect "hobbits" to be an easier opponent than "dwarves". The giki of the Nile river are the ones who coined the phrase, "Everyone's ankles are at the same height." Don't think because they're farmers that they're easy.

;)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:21:04 PM »
I like, admire, and as a player, appreciate the twist and background in your respective games. 

The biggest flag of disbelief for me is anything exisiting in a vacuum. 

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »
The biggest flag of disbelief for me is anything exisiting in a vacuum.

As they say, the devil is in the details.