Author Topic: Kulthean history and resource depletion  (Read 508 times)

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Kulthean history and resource depletion
« on: December 10, 2023, 09:01:56 AM »
Kulthea has been lived on fairly extensively from quite a time. The Althan civilisation developed there before becoming a spacefaring civilisation,  and even after their apocalyptic fall, there were several fairly advanced civilisations during the Interregnum, not to mention the 12000+ years of 'recent history' with the rise and fall of several less advanced ones.

All of which used resources - metals, soil nutriments, and others. Even discarding the near-complete depletion of the planet resources by the Althans, accessible mineral resources should have dried up a long time ago, immobilisation of precious metals should have triggered crises several dozen times (it triggered major crises in pre-industrial europe several times and was a main drive behind the conquest of the americas by the spanish), and, if using standard preindustrial agricultural techniques, nutriment depletion in arable lands and deforestation should have made multiple civilisations extinct (especially the long-lived ones that did not move significantly - I'm looking at you, Zori people of Jaiman).

Yet none of this happened.

Which begs the question: how do you explain this ? Do you have Essaence as the great anti-entropy energy, constantly regenerating matter and reversing decay ? Do you infer that most living races, being gene-engineered by the Althans, were imprinted with preservation techniques that are far superior to what we do have now ? Are the Lords of Orhan responsible for this pseudo-stasis (stasis in that the resource level of the world does not seem to decrease significantly over time) ?

And what would the observing alien races (such as the imperial Dia Khovaria agents) think of that ?

I know it's not needed to have an adventure world, but having an explanation for this could be so world-shattering that I find myself compelled to ask the question :)

Offline foilfodder

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Kulthean history and resource depletion
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 09:33:19 AM »
accessible mineral resources should have dried up a long time ago, immobilisation of precious metals should have triggered crises several dozen times (it triggered major crises in pre-industrial europe several times and was a main drive behind the conquest of the americas by the spanish), and, if using standard preindustrial agricultural techniques, nutriment depletion in arable lands and deforestation should have made multiple civilisations extinct (especially the long-lived ones that did not move significantly - I'm looking at you, Zori people of Jaiman).

Yet none of this happened.

I know it's not needed to have an adventure world, but having an explanation for this could be so world-shattering that I find myself compelled to ask the question :)

Shadow World is a high-fantasy world. This means that magic and divine intervention solve problems that would exist in a "real world" setting. The Lords of Orhan as well as lesser "local" deities would grant blessing to the land for their followers. Forests would grow faster, crops more pleniful, miners could find a literally "new" ore vein created by divine powers.

As in the real world, trade is very important. Real world empires like the Romans brought in resources from far away. The Shadow World Naviator's guild and merchant ships are very important for the same reason.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 05:50:15 AM »
the planet itself has seen massive catastrophic events but prior and after the althan civilization.

i would assume that the blackhole/comet impact created a resource rich environment to strongly favor the development of the althans in the first place ... at least some magnitudes.

the events of the interregnum and the fluctuating irradiation by essænce flows could explain the rest.
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Online Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 07:58:25 AM »
So, in the Spacemaster era, does the Althan civilization still have access to their old knowledge or was in lost long ago?

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 01:42:38 PM »
So, in the Spacemaster era, does the Althan civilization still have access to their old knowledge or was in lost long ago?
For all we know, 'civilisation' is not the correct word. From memory, I think there are three different cases:
- individuals who have survived the cataclysmic fall of the K'Taa'Viir empire of stars. They are individually powerful, but without access to the Essaence (which is local to Kulthea), they are individuals and would tend to work behind the scenes (to hide the fact that one of the 'Sianetic Harbingers' is still alive). They are probably quite paranoid about the survival of others of their kind (after all, the cataclysmic fall was a civil war). They likely spent much time in chronagenic sleep, and, while they *might* have access to the full scope of knowledge, doing something with that knowledge is another matter entirely (the human civilisation being so *primitive*).
- surviving althan colonies. Those are small planetary enclaves of Althan people. I think there is an example in one of the Space Master books. They have regressed technologically and their past is now part of their founding myth, with people with violet eyes being their expected messiah (since K'Taa'Viiri have violet eyes and are psionically and magically superior). They don't have any significant knowledge of the old Empire of stars.
- the K'Taa'Viiri domains on the eastern hemisphere of Kulthea. They do know things. However, as indicated in the SWMA, they don't have access to the full technological might of the old civilisation, and might merely be on par with the Terran Empire at best. They are probably severely lacking in industrial capabilities. They are also competing with one another. Plus, they are imprisoned on Kulthea by the field generated by the Eyes of Utha. But what little we know of them is that, while the K'Taa'Viiri lords are powerful, their underlings are less so, and typically halfbreeds like Ondoval's lieutenants, or Pale Men.

So, overall, those who have the greatest chance of having retained a significant part of the old knowledge are the few survivors that were not on Kulthea when the empire fell, and thus escaped the near-wipeout of their kin. The pure K'Taa'Viiri on Kulthea are few in number (probably half a dozen or so on the western hemisphere, and less than a dozen on the other). And I would assume that those who have survived while away from Kulthea are even fewer, for a couple of reasons:
- when the war started, it is very likely that both Kadaena and Utha recruited whoever they could (by any means necessary in the empress's case). K'Taa'Viiri were nobility - they commanded the masses. Most of them likely were killed during the fighting, or fell back on Kulthea. The only ones who hid were those who wanted to be left alone and were powerful enough to 'disappear' without leaving a trail of breadcrumbs that could lead 'recruiters' or executioners to their hiding place.
- the K'Taa'Viiri were not numerous to begin with. After all, they were a single clan in the Althan people. And their particular talents probably led them to be fairly restrictive in who they had children with and who them married - they brought selected people into their fold rather than sending their own out. So they concentrated their power, but as an elite, there were not many of them.
- Most of them probably stayed on Kulthea anyway, for two reasons: 1) because this was the seat of the empire, and being far from it meant you could further your own ends or defend against those who coveted your position, and 2) because Kulthea is where the Essaence flows, and the Essaence was the main reason why the K'Taa'Viiri became the undisputed leaders of the Althan. Beyond Kulthea, they were still powerful because of their technology and psionics, but they were diminished. They were probably more at ease with going to alternate dimensions than with going on an interstellar trip away from their native planet.

Offline nash

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 02:03:17 PM »
- Most of them probably stayed on Kulthea anyway, for two reasons: 1) because this was the seat of the empire, and being far from it meant you could further your own ends or defend against those who coveted your position, and 2) because Kulthea is where the Essaence flows, and the Essaence was the main reason why the K'Taa'Viiri became the undisputed leaders of the Althan. Beyond Kulthea, they were still powerful because of their technology and psionics, but they were diminished. They were probably more at ease with going to alternate dimensions than with going on an interstellar trip away from their native planet.

Also they are long lived, but not immortal, when no longer on Kulthea.  This means there are probably no survivors off world.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 12:54:20 AM »

Also they are long lived, but not immortal, when no longer on Kulthea.  This means there are probably no survivors off world.
They have (presumably technological) means of putting themselves in temporal stasis, what is called 'chronagenic sleep' in the SW books. Andraax did it. Jenkyna did it. It would make sense that the ones that still live in Imperial time also did it, and awakened only fairly recently.

And I found the example of one such specimen (the one I remembered but could not find yesterday) in the Space Master books: Moryn Kâldo, a member of the League of Merchants council, described in the "League of Merchants" Space Master campaign module.