Author Topic: Anyone play any edition in Utah (Ogden area), or online?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Fenris2k

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Anyone play any edition in Utah (Ogden area), or online?
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:49:57 PM »
I've only gotten to play RM once, but I have some 1st ed books, a 2nd ed book, and some RMSS books.
New to the area, would love to join a gaming group.
Or, online (Skype or something?).

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Anyone play any edition in Utah (Ogden area), or online?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:08:18 AM »
Welcome, Fenris2K!

Online is where it’s at.
Check out Fantasy Grounds / Roll 20 forums and take a look at Rolemaster Youtube videos of sessions in play to familiarize yourself with the look and feel of the tools used.
Baker_Cam and Wolfshield Games, along with others are out there - even podcasts if you don’t need to see combat maneuvers on a battle map.

I joined online groups by watching, first, and commenting/chatting with the groups, whether live or in the “Looking for Player” forums with the GM running games.

Invariably, room opens up in them with opportunities to join in on the awesome crunchiness that is RM!

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 01:32:14 PM »
Welcome,

Majyk is right, online is where it's at via Virtual Table Tops.  Fantasy Grounds has official support for Rolemaster, but I've even seen people using Roll20.  You can also post to reddit's 'lfg' group and you might find someone there too.  I.e. I'm involved in a WFRP 4th edition group found via reddit as I never found anyone local playing it.  We're all CST players, but spread out over 4 or 5 different states.
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Fenris2k

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:00:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
I was really hoping for a local game, damn it all.
I hate how online tools "work".
But, whatever... Something's better than nothing.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
Do you have a local gaming store? Ogden should be big enough to have one, and if not, SLC surely does? That would be the first place I would look.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Fenris2k

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 08:46:50 PM »
It has two, but the only people I've met play 5th ed. D&D.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 02:42:09 AM »
Still might be worth it to play DnD till people get bored of the simplicity, and want something crunchier.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Fenris2k

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 06:26:34 PM »
I despise 5th ed.  Four groups I've tried, and... no...

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »
I despise 5th ed.  Four groups I've tried, and... no...
Amen brother.  People can play what they want, and any RPG is better than none. But after running and playing 5th, I suspect I'll  never do it again. d20 generally leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and 5th is the worst of the bunch.
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »
I still stay in touch with my original gaming group by playing 1e/SR/5e! Etc. until one of us gets nostalgic for a good RM session or two.

Join a group, suck it up for a babyish system that holds your hand and where “everyone gets a medal(healing)” until you can corrupt...errr, siphon...errr, subvert them into wanting some rules crunch!

Local is better than Online, but Online is awesome if nothing else is around, babee!

Good luck!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »
Join a group, suck it up for a babyish system that holds your hand and where “everyone gets a medal(healing)” until you can corrupt...errr, siphon...errr, subvert them into wanting some rules crunch!

That's my philosophy too, and the reason my present group splits our time between 5e and Rolemaster. 5e is my least favorite edition of DnD, because it lacks depth of character creation while also being overly complicated in many ways. But we still have fun when we play it, and I'd much rather play it than nothing at all.