Author Topic: Hot & Cold Damage  (Read 2979 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hot & Cold Damage
« on: December 02, 2009, 07:14:33 PM »
Contemplating "how hot or how cold"

The table in RMC Spell law for what kind of damage you take in combat terms from being unprotected in extreme temperatures or touching extreme temperature objects effectively defines the range of temperatures that don't qualify as an attack. (You might get hypothermia or heat prostration from extended exposure, but not round by round critical damage)

At/Below 0F (-17C) you start taking A Cold Crits
At/Above 200F (93C) you start taking A Heat Crits

So any temperature between 1 and 199 F would be a non attack scale temperature . . . a 199 F campfire would be a wan, cold one compared to the real thing at 450+ degrees.

I likely would pull that in further to prevent abuses, since 199 is hot enough to put you down in a few minutes unless you're being constantly hydrated and cooled, and a 0 temp vs someone in summer clothes could put them out of action in less than an hour.

Temps in the 30-120 range don't seem to offer much in the way of abuse of the effects as outlined. . . .what exactly would an illusionist do with barely freezing or rather hot phantasms/illlusions of objects that's so game breakingly dangerous?

Speaking of this on a side note I would love to see a chart that deals damage as well as crits for temp ranges.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Hot & Cold Damage
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »
I've run out the front door of a house then around and back in the back door at around 10 F. . .in a bathing suit and a t-shirt. . .no harm done. . .the worst part of it was my bare feet on the cold cold ground.

Some saunas, especially traditional style ones, go up toward 190, or at least I saw references to traditional Swedish saunas at highs around 193 F.

So I don't much see the hits. . .it's certainly exhausting to do anything but sit above 130 or so, and cold saps your ability to function. . .both seem like exhaustion drains, and are applied as mods to exhaustion already.

at 0 F on the other hand, you'll stick to metal or stone, and above 200 F you're approaching the boiling point of water, so it's major damage time.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Hot & Cold Damage
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 12:20:40 PM »
I would think that actual damage doesn't occur unless there is extended exposure to the extreme environments. Like after the ExPnts are depleted, you can start to get into actual Hit damage - reflecting frostbite or heat stroke type damage.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:56:04 PM »
And you really should determine what medium is being used to convey the temperature vs the amount of skin exposure.

Hot metal hurts!
Same temp wood... not so much.
Hot metal across your entire back... really hurts!!
Hot metal on your fingertips... not so much.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Riemumieli

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »
Some saunas, especially traditional style ones, go up toward 190, or at least I saw references to traditional Swedish saunas at highs around 193 F.
I don't know about those wimpy Swedes ;) but we Finns prefer higher temperatures. Personally I go to sauna (a Finnish word btw) when the temperature is closer to 212 F(100 C) and in the World Championships, the starting temperature is 230 F (110 C).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 12:32:55 PM »
I don't know about those wimpy Swedes ;) but we Finns prefer higher temperatures. Personally I go to sauna (a Finnish word btw) when the temperature is closer to 212 F(100 C) and in the World Championships, the starting temperature is 230 F (110 C).

That is a might warm for me but I can understand that you have to work up to that temp.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
World Championships, the starting temperature is 230 F (110 C).

There are world championships for sauna?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »
World Championships, the starting temperature is 230 F (110 C).

I am waiting for Hot and Cold beer drinking to become a sport myself. I also play darts and do not consider it an official sport but may people do.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Riemumieli

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »
Unfortunately yes. http://www.saunaheinola.com/ (Also in English)