Author Topic: Substitutes for spell adders  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Substitutes for spell adders
« on: August 13, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
First of all, I apologize in advance for typos, I'm writing from my cell phone and I have an long history of lost fights against touchscreen devices.

Back in topic, I never liked the concept of spell adders because I feel they conflict with the spell point system. I mean, if an item gives me the power to cast two level 30 spells why it shouldn't allow me to cast sixty level one spells? The amount of power required is the same.
So I was thinking to remove tham and introduce a different kind of object to help mages. Multipliers are too powerful for my campaign, I'll allow a x2 at high level as a very powerful reward, and a x3 should be a relic of legend. At lower level a PP adder should do the trick, but it's very underpowered if compared to any adder.
What do you think about making Adders items that give you PP per day equal to your level? Maybe it would solve the "nonsense" problem.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Substitutes for spell adders
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:45:59 AM »
Not a bad idea.

RMu also offers two further options:

--It tones down multipliers so that they come in smaller increments, such as 1.25, 1.5, etc.

--In our discussions on the boards, JDale even came up with the idea of items that just gave a flat bonus to your PP Development skill. Thus you might for example get a +10 item that would give you +10 to PP Dev., in effect giving you 10 more PP per day.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 10:58:40 AM »
Not a bad idea.

RMu also offers two further options:

--It tones down multipliers so that they come in smaller increments, such as 1.25, 1.5, etc.

--In our discussions on the boards, JDale even came up with the idea of items that just gave a flat bonus to your PP Development skill. Thus you might for example get a +10 item that would give you +10 to PP Dev., in effect giving you 10 more PP per day.

I like them both. I'll probably use them together my own to add variety. The multiplier rule from RMU is in Treasure Law I suppose, I admit it's the one I paid less attention to.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 11:26:43 AM »
The multiplier rule from RMU is in Treasure Law I suppose, I admit it's the one I paid less attention to.

There's actually a lot of real gold in there. It is just sometimes buried in between some unnecessary complexities (like the random coin shape generator and the overly complicated rules for item creation and costs).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Dunadan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 08:51:02 PM »
I also considered the option of an item that supplies 1 PP for any spell cast (of a specific realm) i.e. reduces the PP required for a spell by 1 PP. It can be describes as "amplifying" the spell caster's power e.g. he only needs to contribute 2 PP to cast a L3 spell.

At low levels this is extremely beneficial (L1 spells cost nil PP, L2 @ 1PP, L3 @ 2PP... etc). By the time you get to L5 or L6, it's not as effective ie L6 spell costs you 5 PP instead of 6 PP... and at L10 and above the impact is negligible i.e. L10 = 9 PP instead of 10 PP

This provides a real boost for the lower levels. Without unbalancing the game at higher levels (like a x2 PP multiplier does). And if you want to prevent overuse, make a PP limit per day (maybe 10?).

Any thoughts?
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »

Any thoughts?

That seems like a cool idea too. I don't see any problems with it.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 10:26:19 PM »
Often those low levels spells remain your bread and butter even when you are a higher level caster. It will still definitely help out there.

I don't think I would make 1st level spells free, but otherwise it seems pretty reasonable.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 12:43:03 AM »
Often those low levels spells remain your bread and butter even when you are a higher level caster. It will still definitely help out there.

I don't think I would make 1st level spells free, but otherwise it seems pretty reasonable.
I totally agree. This solution is cool, but level 1 spells free (which means unlimited) is huge. I like the idea, probably I would make it reduce the cost by 1 to a minimum of 1.

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 04:47:29 AM »
I could also consider an item that works as storage for PP. You can charge it with your PP to a fixed maximum, and it works like a reserve of PP if you need them. It's less powerful, probably more suited for lower level, but I think it has potential storywise. Do you feel sure enough today to use your precious power to charge your PP battery?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 09:08:45 PM »
I could also consider an item that works as storage for PP. You can charge it with your PP to a fixed maximum, and it works like a reserve of PP if you need them. It's less powerful, probably more suited for lower level, but I think it has potential storywise. Do you feel sure enough today to use your precious power to charge your PP battery?

There's a spell list for this in the RMSS Arcane Companion, Power Manipulation and the spells Power Store. I've been using it in my game (slightly modified), but it gives more of a power boost than I expected. This is in RMU though, not RMSS.

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »

There's a spell list for this in the RMSS Arcane Companion, Power Manipulation and the spells Power Store. I've been using it in my game (slightly modified), but it gives more of a power boost than I expected. This is in RMU though, not RMSS.
That's interesting. What do you mean with "it gives more of a power boost than I expected"? What aspect did you underestimate?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
The biggest thing was I didn't anticipate the PC would casually throw 50-60 PP into rituals....

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »
The biggest thing was I didn't anticipate the PC would casually throw 50-60 PP into rituals....
Well, if that's the worst I can live with that. My group tends to ignore rituals, so It wouldn't impact my games a lot.