Author Topic: Range / Area of Effect of Spells  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Range / Area of Effect of Spells
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
This argument also suggests a range of "Self" for Fire Bolt: The spell that gives you the ability to shoot a bolt of fire from your hand.

Actually, the lightning bolt example is exactly the same thing. . .there again are two resolutions going on, one to cast, another to attack.

You cast, spend the PP, roll the spell successfully. . .the bolt has gone nowhere (it is indeed still in your palm)

You roll the attack, and the "attack range" applies on the table as part of the missile/ranged Elemental attack logic. . .the range in that instance applies purely in the sense of missile attack logic and really isn't a "spell casting range" at all IMO.

I think there's quite a few spells that seem to stir up "Area of Effect", "Range" and the "Attack Range" of a ranged attack in a confusing manner.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Range / Area of Effect of Spells
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:39:51 AM »
Two rolls for a bolt spell?  We always use one.  The fumble range is included on the attack table, so why roll twice?  Only if a SCSM was required would their be two rolls, critical results not being part of the conversation right now.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
It might be silly,(and I might be wrong) but doesn't RAW require the SCSM roll to make sure that it's not a Fumble from a low roll?

Two chances to screw it up.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:56:13 AM »
You can SCSM on a bolt. . .for the sake of this discussion, assume you are overcasting your lightning bolt.

It does make what I'm trying to point out cleaner and easier.

First you cast a spell, any spell, it either fails or succeeds. . if it fails it goes to the spell failure table per spell resolution.

With a lightning bolt, you can fail, and eat a spell failure result. . .but if it succeeds, you exit spell mechanics and resolve it how you would a missile attack.

i.e. it misses or hits for X hits Y critical result. . . .

If the GM is using fire into melee rules it might hit someone other than the intended target.

What I'm saying is that the range for a lightning bolt is essentially the range of a longbow, not the range of a Sleep V spell.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:17:03 PM »
I believe the casting roll IS the attack roll.  Just one roll.  Just like a BAR spell attack.  A SCSM is a seperate roll but part of a single action.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
I believe the casting roll IS the attack roll.  Just one roll.  Just like a BAR spell attack.  A SCSM is a seperate roll but part of a single action.

I do that in 2nd Ed. (use one roll to resolve ESF and the BAR/EAR roll.)
 My reasoning is that if you succeed, then your spell is going to be really good as well. Sort of a benefit for the person taking the risk.

Ciao,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »
I'd still like to see the mage toss a lighningbolt off target into the back of the fighter blocking in front of him. . .

I found the dual failure path of EAR in RM2 kind of irritating. . .you could super roll the cast, then blow the attack roll and miss. . . .

But the GM pointed out there's two rolls on the BAR too. . .the roll to cast, then the RR.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:48:56 PM »
The elemental attack spell failure table includes several targeting mishap results. An expanded table could include more. That would make a fine Guild Companion article, one you've fulfilled your wish.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 11:51:39 PM »
My wish?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 12:36:57 AM »
Adding a "target nearest friendly individual within range" is easy enough to add. That'll put that lightning bolt right into your meat-shield as desired.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 10:36:08 AM »
It's more that when you SF, it's usually either just barely. . .or super high from doing something stupid you really shouldn't have tried with all the penalties. . .so most rolls are 1-100 or 200+ skipping over the misfires probability wise.