Author Topic: Is Rolemaster healing underpowered?  (Read 5738 times)

Offline hal_s

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Is Rolemaster healing underpowered?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:06 AM »
NB - in HARP, healing is made easier ... to the point that it is in my opinion too easy.

And in HARP, a first level spellcaster can also cast fireballs and fly--low level spellcasters are ridiculously overpowered in HARP. Rolemaster feels more right to me in that regard.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 11:56:15 AM »
BTW, I think the typical Rolemaster character is 5 levels behind the usual D&D 4th Edition character.

at the very least.  ::) (since the 1st level 4th edition, is designed to be at least twice as powerful as a 3rd edition charcter, which in turn was designed to be twice as powerful as a 2nd Edition Character!... I think the original RM rules gave a conversion guide to convert AD&D (i.e. 1st Edition) characters into RM... which gave the equivilence.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 12:16:40 PM »
NB - in HARP, healing is made easier ... to the point that it is in my opinion too easy.

And in HARP, a first level spellcaster can also cast fireballs and fly--low level spellcasters are ridiculously overpowered in HARP. Rolemaster feels more right to me in that regard.

I'm going to post me personal comments regarding this in the HARP boards so as to not distract from the RM Healing conversation going on here...
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 11:13:02 AM »
As a house rule we treat magical and herbal healing akin to DblandD.
If you magically heal or herbally heal someone to full health then most wounds are healed (negatives go away and fractures repair, nerve damage is healed, etc)
However, if you have something shattered (like a leg bone or whatnot) then you must get the appropriate level healer to come help.
This allows for, in most situations, the players to get stable after a fight...but the more sever wounds need to be healed by a high level healer (who doesn't charge much! LOL)
Also, as a house rule, I allow healers to get more powerful talents.  This does nothing but help the players and doesn't hurt the balance of the game.

On a personal note: The reason I love Rolemaster so very much is that it IS so deadly.  I am very tired of the "attrition to zero" that other game systems work from.
To me, a 1st level mage being able to one shot a level 10 fighter is what makes this system so great!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."