Author Topic: Roundless Combat  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Roundless Combat
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »
I meant each as a stand alone example. . .

Could you do an action under base amount with a good roll and/or qood quickness bonus?

You can't have an action take less than one second, but you could potentially have a Dagger with a Speed Factor of, say, 2. Roll a 1 on the initiative roll, and have a -2 stat bonus and end up with a 1 second dagger attack.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Roundless Combat
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »
I've experimented with roundless from time to time but always run into issues with anything metered in rounds, like stun, or bleed, or spells, or maintaining adrenals. . .causing us to benchmark meta rounds, which we realized just put rounds back into play anyway.
How do you work around that?

Ah, the adrenals question.  They would essentially be treated like an instant spell or as a one second action (Adrenal Defense would, of course, be an exception once it was active).  You could still apply stat bonuses so that people with a negative SD stat bonus would take longer to perform them if you wanted (in which case if an adrenal move was used during another action it would extend or cancel the current action) but I don't think I'd use a initiative rolls or stat bonus on adrenal moves.  I doubt I'd make someone cancel their action very often, but it would just have to be a case-by-case judgment call.  For example, if you used Adrenal Deflection while making an attack, I would say that it negates any parry you have declared and extends your attack by one second.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss