Author Topic: C1 Adaption  (Read 2720 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
C1 Adaption
« on: October 14, 2009, 12:00:41 AM »
 I am running a getting to know RM game before I start a campaign and I have decided my next session will be adapting the of D&D 1 Module C1 for use with RMSS. If anyone has done this please let me know and I would appreciate your notes, ideas and comments. 

1) The first thing I am pondering is what to do with the poison gas in the adventure. I think I am going to scale up the damage to equate to 10% of of of the PC's hits just like it is in the module.
 a) But healing is much more available in RM by use of spell point then fire and forget of D&D. So I may require more rolls.
 b) Slow poison potions are great and in the module they have 3 for 4 PC's so I think I am going to have 4 for 6 PC's. What do you think?
 c) Any other comments are welcome for this section, basically room 1 and the poison throughout much of the underground rooms.

2) Time limit: The module has a 2 hour time limit but since this is RM and combat can take longer I was thinking of stretching it out to 3 hours. What do you think? Would 4 hours be better? Or maybe 2 1/2 ?

Thanks
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: C1 Adaption
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:04:26 AM »
I don't remember which one is C1 (Inverness?) but those are tournament modules aren't they?  I wouldn't use the time limit in D&D if you aren't doing tournament play.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »
 C1 is the Lost tomb of T...... [I do not remember the spelling this early in the am].

The reason I am using a time limit is because it is part of my story line. The PC's in modern time are in VR and are going through basic "examples" of RM play. This is one of the end examples before we start a campaign. Anyway the time limit is one way to determine who wins the VR competition.

Thanks
MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:45:56 PM »
 OK now that my RPG brain has awoken the module is C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. 

I was also just thinking that a VR type campaign can be just like a time traveling campaign without the TT. In other words it could be just some guys writing a story for the VR players to solve or a bunch of them like in a MMORPG.
 Another reason I set it up this way with VR is that I wanted to players to experience different PC types [pure arms, semi, pure spell casters, hybrids and arcane]as well as talk to them about what type of world, campaign, races, magic, psi etc they wanted to experience in the game. We have decided on some  of those things so it is going to be easier to start the game and if I want I can make a clean break of it or do a Guardians of the Flame type thing with them.

Any any more help and comments would be great.
Thanks
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:02:54 PM »
The problem with the VR is that it's going to take the players a step farther away from investment in their characters.  I thought I'd point that out.  Don't know if you want to change that, but watch for it really hard, because I don't suspect it's sustainable indefinitely.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 09:03:25 PM »
Can't help much with c1.  I'm not familiar with it.  Sorry.  :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »
 So far it is not to bad as they do not even have PC sheets. The C1 adventure is going to be with PC's that I have made and then we will see what happens after that.
 Again I am fairly sure it is going to be a fantasy game but it still could change. I also have a rule that if your PC dies you have to stay out 1 month or at least 3 games. Since we game every other week it will be a month and a half. Which is a long time so I do not think people are just going to throw themselves away.
 But you point is a very good one.

Thanks BTW C1 is a fairly good module but it is set in an Aztec type setting. But I still like the things it does and what experiences it brings to the players. It might be a good read if you can find it anywhere or if one of your group has it in a stash somewhere.

Thanks
MDC   
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 12:18:04 AM »
I also have a rule that if your PC dies you have to stay out 1 month or at least 3 games. Since we game every other week it will be a month and a half. Which is a long time so I do not think people are just going to throw themselves away.

Markc, that sure sounds harsh... ??? I don't know anything about this other than what I think you're saying. So, if I die in your game, then I can't play... in the game.... with everybody else... for a month and a half!

Wow!  You are the tough as nails GM I am striving to be..  :whip:  ;D
Most of the time, I've gotta make food or bring drinks or sumthin.. :-[
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 12:20:30 PM »
 Yes that is the rule at least 3-4 game sessions or until I can get yo into the story. If they are down in a cave system for 6 game sessions you cannot join until they get out. It does sound harsh but I have never had it be a problem.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »
Yes that is the rule at least 3-4 game sessions or until I can get yo into the story. If they are down in a cave system for 6 game sessions you cannot join until they get out. It does sound harsh but I have never had it be a problem.

MDC
Obviously, if it's rolemaster, it might take them that long to re-roll a new character! ;)

I ran this a looonngg time ago.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 05:14:51 PM »

MDC
Obviously, if it's rolemaster, it might take them that long to re-roll a new character! ;)

I ran this a looonngg time ago.

Did you run it for D&D or RM? Id you ran it for RM then if you have any comments I would love to hear them.

I went through this back when it came out with 1st ed D&D. And it was very tough as the GM at the time did not give us the slow poison potions at the beginning of the adventure. We were all dead with in the first 20 min.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 04:16:26 AM »
D&D only I'm afraid. I'll have to investigate the Attic of Angst to recover it before I can comment further.