Author Topic: Training Packages in RMC  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Will Scarlet

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Training Packages in RMC
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »
I understand there are no training packages in RMC. There seems to be quite a bit of criticism of Training Packages in RMSS/RMFRP.

But I do like the idea of having career packages. I suppose you could create training packages for RMC, just by having a sort of template that suggests where characters put their points when they level up.

Is this doable?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Training Packages in RMC
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 02:13:18 PM »
http://www.ironcrown.com/index.php?page=igames/RMC/exad

scroll down to Express Additions #10.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 04:12:28 PM »
I understand there are no training packages in RMC. There seems to be quite a bit of criticism of Training Packages in RMSS/RMFRP.

But I do like the idea of having career packages. I suppose you could create training packages for RMC, just by having a sort of template that suggests where characters put their points when they level up.

Is this doable?

You can also just say to a PC here is what I think the skills should be for a city guard. You have to take X ranks in Y,  a ranks in B etc.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:11:54 AM »
I would suggest never ever talking about training packages again...
However the question is somewhat valid since there is no mechanic in RM dealing with teachers and students.
It would make more sense to me if one were to develop a system for lerning with a teacher. Perhaps discounts on skill costs or something? I don't have the answer myslef but I think training packages are a very bad idea.

Offline Will Scarlet

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 01:48:02 PM »
You can also just say to a PC here is what I think the skills should be for a city guard. You have to take X ranks in Y,  a ranks in B etc.
MDC

This is a much more articulate way of saying what I meant.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 04:10:50 PM »
However the question is somewhat valid since there is no mechanic in RM dealing with teachers and students.
It would make more sense to me if one were to develop a system for lerning with a teacher.

Actually, the Training Package rules in Express Additions #10 specifically state that the TP is learned in a structured manner (such as via a teacher/pupil (or master/apprentice) relationship), and that normal development is more along the lines of the character learning at their own pace....

In fact, it is the structured learning method that is used as the reason for the way that TPs in EA10 are priced.

Offline bottg

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Arion Games
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 05:09:36 PM »
See, i actually like TPs in RMC.  They need to be carefully regulated, and i never allow them to exceed the normal skill ranks/lvl, but they can act as a "lifepath" system if the characters are above 1st (or even at 1st!) and i feel give the characters a better idea of why they have the skills they do. 

So if you create a 3rd lvl fighter, normally you would have to explain exactly why he fights.  But if he spent 6 months in a town guard, followed by a year as a soldier, followed by 6 months as a Mercenary, you suddenly start to get a handle on him.  It also gives the character some skills that player may not take such as Law (Town Watch), Foraging (Soldier) and Bartering (Merc). 

If setting specific TP's are used, you can add extra flavour to the character.

However, i think they work better at Char Gen than during play (formal/on-job training followed by personal development) and have to be carefully controlled by the GM.