Author Topic: Changing Gears  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Archangel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Changing Gears
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:52:47 AM »
I'm not sure where to put this so I'm creating a new thread, sorry.
I've gotten stale. Yep. The creative guy I thought I was is no longer living in this body. Or at least Its burred beneath life, I've been "gaming" for around 18 years with RM2 being the primary for the last 10ish. We just started a new campaign with a fresh new base world, and I can't get myself out of the same old rut. I'm sure (hope) this is a common issue and am asking for a bit of advise. How do I change it up. We just rapped up an incredibly complex and in depth "Epic" (from another thread) world, that took literally years of nearly every Friday to get to 15th level (in actuality the characters were 25-30 in power). To the much deserved credit of the GM the scenario was HUGE. If so much of it wasn't pilfered from books and the like (what GM doesn't) I would suggest that he try to novelize it and get published. I can't really begin to describe the complexity of the world (at least 6 continents with 10 completely distinct and well developed societies). Honestly I already miss playing in it but it's not really feasible to start new characters in it we know way to much. Any way back to my issue. I really want this to be a different character but can't get the gears shifted. The base starting point is fairly similar: good, peaceful, feudal system, some what back water so fairly distant from the political base.  Evil really isn't an option (and frankly too hard to do well for me), Low(er) magic.

help.

:angel3:

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
Re: Changing Gears
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:39:23 PM »
We all burn out.  If you're just bored with certain types of characters then run the opposite.  Just like real people, some of my characters I take a liking to more so than others; maybe your GM can be flexible enough to let you try a couple different things to see what gets your interest.

On the other hand, if gaming itself is the problem then maybe you need to take a break from the dice altogether.  Sometimes that's what it takes, and you've been gaming regularly for a long time.

I have a tendency to push myself too far, staying in something until I'm totally burned out, then I am unable to get near that activity for a long time.  I stayed in a dead-end campaign before just because I was gaming with close friends, and reached the point I wanted my character to die.  Too much.  For several years after that I didn't game at all.  That made some of my friends angry but I just couldn't do it.

As Clint once said, "A man's got to know his own limitations."  Remember, it's supposed to be fun.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »
 Archangel,
 First welcome to the forums.

Second, since this is in the RM2 section I will assume you are playing RM2. Ask the GM what professions are availabe? Are there any special professions based on the world or campaign? Are there any unique races or cultures to play?

I think thoes are the main questions I would ask your GM. Also you just might tell him you are trying to break out of your mold to find a new profession or PC to play and see if he can help you out.
 If all else fails roll some dice and apply the result to the allowed professions that you have put in a % chart and see what you get.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »
I had that problem a few years ago.  I always played the 'glass cannon'.  (ie. the spell caster with the area of effect spells).  I got bored with it.  So, the next time I sat down to play a game, I made my character a 'sword and board' grunt with an average IQ.

Believe it or not, I had the time of my life.  I've never played a warrior before, and it was kind of fun.  Next time around, I may try a character who is a semi-spell user, just so I can do spells and combat.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 04:58:06 AM »
Yes, burn out even in our hobby.

I got very tired of the adventure starting situation in many sessions
("you are sitting in a tavern a mage is coming around and gives you a task:
Get the world crumpling artifact - he pays each of you 100 gp" "if one of us die will the others get his money ?"  :P)

(click to show/hide)

The world you are in seems impressive would like to peek.

So it seems that all the background is there, so instead of trying to find a new (powerful) profession you may go the other way and with more roleplaying.
Choose an other PC and make a servant (squire) for that one. You can still develope a decent fighter, but with an appropriate weapon (like short sword) and armor - nothing that tells anyone: I'm important, I'm a threat.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »
I had that problem a few years ago.  I always played the 'glass cannon'.  (ie. the spell caster with the area of effect spells).  I got bored with it.  So, the next time I sat down to play a game, I made my character a 'sword and board' grunt with an average IQ.

Believe it or not, I had the time of my life.  I've never played a warrior before, and it was kind of fun.  Next time around, I may try a character who is a semi-spell user, just so I can do spells and combat.

Similar experience here.  And I was expected to play the mage since I always had in the past.  Basically, no one else wanted to keep up with the spell lists.  That's one of the reasons I'm against the "basic 4" paradigm--people should play characters they're interested in and it's up to the GM to taylor the campaign's challenges to them, not the other way around.

Offline croakerdogboy

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Software Developer/Writer/ Indentured Servant
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »
That's one of the reasons I'm against the "basic 4" paradigm--people should play characters they're interested in and it's up to the GM to taylor the campaign's challenges to them, not the other way around.

I agree completely. Usually I want the players to roll their characters first, then start developing the adventures for them. No one is happy when they are forced into something they don't want to play. I never was much for that whole party balance thing anyway. If everybody wants to be a thief, then let them. They will differentiate themselves with their skill choices later.
It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.

H.L. Mencken

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:16:27 PM »
Welcome!

You burned out across the board, or just one aspect? I find I tend to get burned on one at a time ala:

"No more combat"

or

"Shut your angst filled over the top roleplaying mouth!"

etc etc.

Once I burn on all sides, I know there's no option but taking a break.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com