Author Topic: Shadow World: The Land of Xa-ar now available!  (Read 5654 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Shadow World: The Land of Xa-ar now available!
« on: June 14, 2008, 08:21:50 AM »
Guild Companion Publications has released its first full-scale setting module for Shadow World.

Terry Amthor makes a triumphant return to the Shadow World in this all-new region module for The Land of Xa-ar and Northern Saralis on the continent of Jaiman.

"Jerrin is King in Haalkitaine, and while he claims to be Emperor of all Jaiman, he is far away to the east and the Phoenix Crown holds no real power here. Xa-ar and Saralis are fractured lands, trying to recover from the last occupation by the Lord of Ulor.

But powers ?both new and very ancient rising again? threaten the fragile peace over much of the region. Perhaps the greatest threat is an artifact from before recorded time, asleep but ready to be awakened?"

Xa-ar includes:
  • A dozen new layouts including a vast constructed cavern complex, the tomb of Ugus Fost, and the Aalk Athimurl, home of another Arnak priesthood.
  • New material about the Earthwardens, the Coral Roads, Jewel Wells, and all-new cults including the mysterious Order of the Elder, the Winter Light, and the elite fighters of the new Lord of Ulor.
  • Detailed history of the region.
  • Sixteen adventures, including three in the town of Rapata (introduced in Guild Adventurer #2), several more scattered across the region, and six in the isles west of Xa-ar, the Aargirpiri, once home to the Blue Dragon.
  • New 3D renders, and beautiful color illustrations from William Tibaud
  • Stats for both Rolemaster Classic and RMSS/FRP!

128 pages in all and a bonus 11-page volume of player handouts.

Price: 15 US dollars for PDF version, available from guild.ironcrown.com and our other ecommerce outlets.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Koraq

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shadow World: The Land of Xa-ar now available!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
Dead tree version?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:05:50 AM »
Dead tree version?

Hopefully in due course but it requires a discussion with ICE about various practicalities.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Nice, new products to read and digest.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Koraq

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 08:45:54 PM »
I hope the practicalities will get sorted out soon. I only buy dead tree stuff.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 01:50:15 PM »
A note about the PDF:

Some of you may not be aware that there is a 'bookmarks' tab in Acrobat, which will open a sidebar with links to every chapter that I created for easier navigation. Also I did include a couple of hyperlinks on the credits page. I'd like to hear any feedback on whether these are helpful, and if you'd like to see even more use of navigational aids and hyperlinks in the future.

'Dead Tree' editions are nice, but PDFs sure are great when searching for specific things. And more eco-friendly!  ;-)

TKA

Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:02:37 AM »
I always use the left sidebar, and links inside the text are fine if the printed text has same color and format than the rest.

Usually I use PDF to write the adventure and the book while I'm running the adventure (with lots of post-its  ;D)
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:38:20 AM »
Thanks to all who have purchased Xa-ar so far, and special thanks to those who have posted a review. I encourage anyone else who purchased it to please take a moment to post a brief (or lengthy if you feel so inclined) review at the product page. I appreciate the feedback! Thanks! :)

Terry
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 08:39:30 AM »
Great book.  I finally got to read my way through last weekend.  I love the tone of the updated material.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 04:03:20 AM »
Have only skimmed through it, but so far it seems very good. Loads of interesting things and locations you should be able to loot even for a non SW campaign. Love to see more books like this with combined background material and the adventure suggestions.

Very Good so far is my rating.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 11:35:31 AM »
There is an updated/corrected version of the Aalk Athimurl Upper Halls at

http://homepage.mac.com/terbob/FileSharing1.html

The file name is Aalk_athimurl_upr_updated1.pdf
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 01:11:31 PM »
On page 73:
On
the back two sides of the slab are two acorn indentations matching the Mah-ilari amulets.

On page 47:
The Twelve Amulets: They are of a bluish silver alloy of white eog, three inches in diameter with a raised symbol
of a pinecone in the center.

This Sunday I kept reading acorn off of the adventure page though I had described the PC's amulet as a pinecone.  My players questioned me repeatedly as to whether is was a acorn or pinecone.    :)

Of course, it is supposed to be pinecone.

Offline orhy

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »

Hi, I recently bought this book and I liked it very much, but I have a couple of questions:

The Storm Wizard is a K’ta’viiri? so Aldaron and others, who were them? I thought that Storm Wizard and Aldaron´s people came from the same place, isn´t that true?

Thank you and I´ll be waiting for Emer III, Urulans book and "Powers of Light and Darkness of the East", hurry up Terry, we can´t wait!

Sorry for my poor english.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »

The Storm Wizard is a K’ta’viiri? so Aldaron and others, who were them? I thought that Storm Wizard and Aldaron´s people came from the same place, isn´t that true?

Try to read the Shadowstone Chronicles in eidolonstudio.com . You will find a lot of interest topics about SW. The chapter 25 gives a big description about Thule (The Strom Wizard) , and it is given by Andraax himself, so is pretty acurate  ;D

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline orhy

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 03:58:13 PM »

Try to read the Shadowstone Chronicles in eidolonstudio.com . You will find a lot of interest topics about SW. The chapter 25 gives a big description about Thule (The Strom Wizard) , and it is given by Andraax himself, so is pretty acurate  ;D

Gràcies Vince, but I have already read it and it doesn´t answer the question. Perhaps the Storm Wizard is an Althan but not a K’ta’viiri? because at Powers of Light and Darkness description of the Storm Wizard doesn´t contain any reference in it to K’ta’viiri´s usual powers.

The Storm Wizard intrigues me...

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:41 PM »
Storm Wizard is Athlan if I remember correctly.  He and his servants are a remnant of an ancient empire from Haestra that were powerful after the lords of emer I believe
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 03:29:32 AM »
Apparently the Storm Wizard is neither K'ta'viir nor Althan. From Powers:

In fact, the Storm Wizard is not of the same race as Aldaron, but is one of a small group called Elder Ones, a group of Immortals who have been on Kulthea since the First Era and are linked to the Earthwardens.

I don't recall any other mention of the Elder Ones anywhere. That's certainly the only mention in Powers.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 07:25:45 AM »
I'm pretty certain that there was an earlier reference, somewhere, to the Storm Wizard being an Althan...however, that was superseded by the mention of him being an Older One in 'Powers'

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 08:46:20 AM »
In that chapter it seems clear to me, that they are a different race , an Elder One. There are a lot of races that comes from the genetical experiment made from Althans, this is another one.

The Storm Wizard tried to balance the world helping Aldaron and his people(who seems to come from another planet), and that worked for a time.

About descriptions in other books, i remember something about the storm wizards and his Heralds. But it seems that has changed completely, so this is what we got now as "canon". It seems clear and right to me...

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline orhy

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 03:42:22 PM »

At "The Land of Xa-ar" book:

The Earthwardens were, in fact, a small cult of the K’ta’viiri.
Some like to refer to themselves as ‘The Elders.’ One is the Storm Wizard; he was always the most talented at creating magical golems.

So, my logic: Storm Wizard->Elder->Earthwarden->K’ta’viiri

But, I´ve read the 25th chapter (I thought you were saying the 28th chapter -interview between Thule, Andraax and Voriig- and because of it I told you I´ve already read it) and you are right, the answer is there. Thank you.