Author Topic: Some Ideas/Skills I have been mulling for Martial arts.  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Some Ideas/Skills I have been mulling for Martial arts.
« on: May 03, 2008, 02:36:38 PM »
Okay first off, I Realize RMFRP may have something like this in combat styles, I don't specificaly know, But thats not where i want to go anyway.

Where this came from? I was watching some of my Martial Arts Movies ("Iron Monkey" was the last one).

In The movies i often See a MA character Take a blow, but kinda bend or flow with the blow and then "Reverse" the energy of the Blow back into the Attackers connecting appendage (be it hand/arm or Leg or Head or what ever).
 Also I see MA characters Deflect missile Attacks, returning them against the person who threw, fired, made the Attack.
Lastly, You see MA "kick" or slide Misc Objects into Attacks, both melee and missile.

Redirect blow
For the first Part, "Redirecting a blow, I was thinking of making it a MA skill that could Only be taken by one with rank 3 MA Developed. The Skill could Never have more ranks than the Rank 3 MA skill had. With the "Redirect Blow" Skill a character could Attempt to Force an attackers Blow back into himself. First the Defender makes a Skill check, this would be modified by the Severity of the Blow of the attacker. (A hit with no Crit would be a Medium skill with Each crit severity going up increasing the Difficulty) If the Skill check is successful, then the attacker Must make an RR with the Defender (the one applying the skill) using his ranks in Redirect Blow as his level and the attacker using the Ranks of his Attack skill as his level. If the attacker fails his RR then Half he Effect (half the Hits and a crit reduced 2 severities) would be transfered into the Attacks attacking appendage. (this could also Represent a MA style that Uses the Attackers energy against him such as in Akido and tea kwon Do.

What I am not sure about is whether to allow this to be used only against Unarmed Opponents or allow it against Armed opponents as well. I am leaning to Unarmed Only, But considering allowing it to be used against Crushing weapons AS well but not Piercing or Slashing.

Redirect Missile
This Skill would allow a Character to redirect/deflect an Incoming Missile attack. Still thinking about the process for this one. It goes beyond Yado. With this skill you are not just trying to Deflect or catch the incoming Missile, but redirect it back at the attacker or some other nearby target. You must have rank 3 MA and YADO developed to take this skill, and the Redirect Missile Skill can never have more ranks than YADO or Rank 3 MA. To use the skill, The Character must be aware of the incoming attack, and then make a Skill check, Very hard for throw attacks, sheer folly for missile. If successful, then the character gets to make an attack roll against a chosen target using half his rank 3 MA ob as the attack modifier. The Target of the Redirected attack defends at a -20 DB due to this being an unexpected result of their own attack. If it happens more than once against the same opponent in the same fight, the DB penalty no longer applies.

MA Missile(could use a better name
With this Skill a Character can Use his MA skill OB to turn any ordinary object into a missile.
No skill check is necessary. The Rank of Martial arts allowed to be used depends on the size of the object and attack. If the object is Tiny to small items (small rocks, Cups, Jars) can be done with MA rank 1 OB, Medium sized items (Large jars, Vases, chairs) can use/require the MA rank 2 OB, Large Items (Ladders, tables, Small polls oor small logs/branches) can use/requires MA rank 3 OB, and huge items (Large logs, Coffins, Doors and Carts) would use/require Rank 4 MA. The attacks would resolve on an appropriate Natural attack table with crits appropriate for the item. (Though Typically all of these would use Ram Butt Bash tables with Crushing crits) The OB would be limited By the number of ranks in this skill the character has. If he has only 4 ranks in this skill then only 4 ranks of ANY MA rank could be used for OB.

So those are My ideas? any suggestions?
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Some Ideas/Skills I have been mulling for Martial arts.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:04:32 AM »
Aren't martial artists already overpowered (both in game balance, which doesn't excite me so much, but also in some sort of tenuous reflection of reality)? I guess that's OK for people that want to go that martial arts-heavy route, but I've never been a particular fan of it myself.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 12:26:40 PM »
I have some other rules that toned MA back in my own game, I agree that as written MA was given to much advantage in the game making it foolish NOT to be a martial artist. But I also like to have in the game at higher levels of skill the ability to represent Heroic fantasy MA.
D Puncture crit 100

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »
I agree with smug on this one.

The MAC has a score of over powered martial arts powers, even if they are built with some nice limitations to their use.  Even two of the new skills, adrenal deflecting (love it) and adrenal evasion (so-so) are very powerful skills found in the book, not to mention the chi powers.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 01:28:25 AM »
As I have been re-reading my old Jademan comics (see the thread about what you are reading now for titles) and loved running an Oriental Adventures campaign while in the Marine Corps at Mt. Fuji with 20 players, I have to say I LOVE to add more fantastic martial arts stuff in (many) of my games. I love Wuxia and mystic ninja stuff! Eventhough I do not like d20 I was willing to play in a DnD game because I was going to be a wuxia swordsman who could jump 80 feet on an average jump check! Woooooowoooooooo!!!
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 02:36:16 AM »
So come on, I am looking for feedback on the skills themselves rather than Feedback on whether or Not i should modify/add to my own game.

D Puncture crit 100

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 07:59:15 AM »
What is there to say?  The skills look fine, the mechanics look ok.  I would not want to add a skill like redirects into my game.  Super fantastical MA are not my style.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »
I was thinking of adding the requirement that when using either of these skills one can not be making a regular attack.
D Puncture crit 100

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 02:26:09 PM »
Warl -- are you using RMC or RMFRP?

And are you using Combat Companion?

Redirect Blow -- IMO - too powerful. In HARP's Martial Law there is a MA Style (Elemental style, Water) that has two abilities called Receding Wave and Thundering Wave (the style is a sweeps style primarily). Both require Acrobatics rolls which do not count towards activity, but if successful allow for the ability. Receding Wave allows character to reduce crit received by # of ranks in Acrobatics (like a reverse Ambush). Thundering Wave (which can only be done the round following a Receding Wave) allows the character to do double concussion hits with successful roll.

The point is that this redirects the "force" of an incoming attack, while your write up is redirecting the attack itself...

Redirect Missile - This seems to be a simple catch a missile (RM2 skill Yado) and throwing it back (OB skill). I don't really see a need to create a new skill for it. Just make it part of a style that allows for thrown weapons.

MA Missile -- This seems to be more of an "Improvised Missile", and could easily be handled as a weapon kata (or weapon kata-like ability.

Just my views...

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »
I just realized that in my first post i Stated that I realize RMFRP has styles and such, but not what actual system I use.

I use RM2 as the Core, though I would allow players to use RMC core books. (though I bought the original RMSS books when the were first released, I never liked that version of the system and the most I ever used from them was the Attack tables (which were perforated and easily removed) and the revised spell lists of spell law)

I do have the arms Companion, and after reading the Styles rules there, just as when i read the styles Rules from the FRP MA Comp, I do not like using styles. I haven't really come up with a satisfactory answer to "styles" that I like. So instead I prefer to create skills that have other skills as prerequisites.

Also don't have Harp at all, don't intend to either. I am RM2 in the heart.

I see what you harps Rule does, it is very similar, but the cost would be alot less than what i suggest since receding wave and thundering wave are more abilities In a style than skills themselves.
I still prefer the Idea of the force of the attack itself being redirected, rather than it causing a whole new attack. Also with my idea it creates a Skill vs Skill situation where trying to do this against a Much more skilled opponent it is likely to fail.

I could See going a Similar  direction by splinting it into  2 skills rather than one, One which absorbs the blow, and the second which redirects the blow. this would add an additional tier of cost to my Idea.

on cost, with yours the cost is merely the style and the acrobatics skills 9nd I don't really see how acrobatics would fall into what I see the maneuver as). where in mine, first the character must develop 3 tiers of their Martial arts skill and then must spend the cost of the skill itself. Splitting it into 2 skills would require, in essence, 5 skills instead of 4 to be developed to complete the full maneuver.

Roll wise, in my original write up, success required 1 skill roll and 1 resistance roll.
With yours you require 1 acrobatics roll for each maneuver/ability and hen I am assuming an attack roll as well.
If I split it into 2 skills then it would be 2 skill rolls and a Resistance roll, 3 rolls just as you have.

lastly, on power of the skill? with yours the end results Doubles the hits of any attack delivered, where in mine it returns the attack but at barely a litle more than half the effectiveness.

I hope i have explained better where I am coming from, and i do understand where you are coming from and it does give me ideas. How do you feel about it if it is split into 2 skills?

On the redirect missile, Yado does only cover catching, and is an action in and of itself. My intent is not really a catch, But more like a batter hitting a ball thrown at them, save you don't necessarily require a bat or object to hit the ball with, you could kick the intended object with your foot, or hand, what ever. I am thinking of limiting it to Throw crushing objects only. The idea is that this is a maneuver/attack that is more of a defensive action than an actual attack, It take very little time to complete. Which is why it require tier 3 Ma to use. the cost of such a skill is high as you need tier 3 MA and Yado before you can develop the skill. I am thinking of limiting the Attacks OB to a # of ranks equal to the Skill itself. I do understand what your seeing, and your comments have made me rethink the skill to a degree. thanks.

You are Corect with the MA Missile skill, that it is a type of Kata, but is not really covered in the RM2/RMC Kata rules. (Styles aside as I really don't like those rules).
Basically trying to cover an area that isn't covered in the kata rules, but I think it requires the additional cost to basically turn your Melee MA skills into a ranged attack. I am basically seeing it as an additional Tier of MA that exists to the side of it rather than in the progression of it.
D Puncture crit 100

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »

On the redirect missile, Yado does only cover catching, and is an action in and of itself. My intent is not really a catch, But more like a batter hitting a ball thrown at them, save you don't necessarily require a bat or object to hit the ball with, you could kick the intended object with your foot, or hand, what ever. and your comments have made me rethink the skill to a degree. thanks.

You are refering to RM2:
In the RM Companion II Yado is stated as "Bonus for using the body (hands, etc) or a weapon or a shield to deflect or even catch a thrown weapon or missle directed at the user. ..."

So Yado covers it all ...
(It is even the "same" skill vikings use to catch and throw back handaxes.)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 10:58:25 PM »
Deflect yes, redirect the incoming missile as an attack no.
D Puncture crit 100