Author Topic: Preview 3: The Divine Spark  (Read 7731 times)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Preview 3: The Divine Spark
« on: January 20, 2006, 05:49:04 AM »
When the original third of the Host fell, the dwarves stood up and to offered fight.  God smiled upon this sacrifice and rewarded the dwarves with the Divine Spark, a flame of divinity carried within their hearts to aid them in battling evil.  All dwarves, regardless of sex and station, set aside their lives and took up arms whenever the Fallen threatened, and because of this dwarves, to this day, are born with the Divine Spark.  The only exceptions are the Fallen Dwarves, a race so tainted by sin their Divine Spark has vanished.
   The humans and elves volunteered next, but only the bravest and noblest of these races volunteered.  Unlike the dwarves, humans and elves didn?t stop their entire society when the Fallen approached, and so only certain members of the races received the Spark.  To this day, all High Men and High Elves carry the inner flame.
   Bearers of the Divine Spark tend to be larger than other members of their race and their physical attributes are closer to the racial ideal.  High Men are stronger than Common Men, but High Elves are faster than other elves.  As all dwarves carry the Divine Spark (or the evil counterpart), there is nothing with which to compare them within their own race, but it is assumed they are more dwarven than Pre-Fall dwarves.
   Any attempt to detect goodness will, in The Echoes of Heaven, actually detect the presence of a Divine Spark or another powerful blessing.  Although this doesn?t actually tell the morals of the person detected, a person can lose his Divine Spark by committing enough evil acts.
   When a person loses his Divine Spark, the body sinks, the traits wane.  The presence of the Divine Spark might not prove anything, but its loss tells quite the story of sin.
   Only the most heinous offenders, such as serial killers and devil worshipers, lose their Divine Spark.
   For the most part, the Divine Spark has no other effect on play.  However, there are certain effects, particularly inside Ulcers, which have a greater or lesser impact on those with a Divine Spark.
   Of final note is the Infernal Spark.  Whereas the Divine Spark is the same spiritual essence carried by an angel (although toned down), the Infernal Spark is the essence of a Demon.  Fallen races and cambions all have Infernal Sparks.  Infernal Sparks have similar physical effects as the Divine Spark.  They detect as evil.  They also increase or decrease the impact of some of the effects of Ulcers.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
Re: Preview 3: The Divine Spark
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 05:32:33 PM »
Of final note is the Infernal Spark.?

Have you thought of a different name for it?  Perhaps something like the Infernal Mark or Infernal Brand?  It just seems that the two words Infernal and Spark would be something of a contradiction.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 07:14:20 PM »
Those don't really describe what it is, though.  It's a corrupt spritual flame.  All living creatures in the setting have a flame of life in the setting.  The divine and infernal sparks are blessed or corrupt versions of them.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:17:22 PM »
One thing that this piece of text doesn't get into is that this means that being a high man or a high elf isn't an hereditary trait, its a spiritual one.  While it more likely a high man will have high man children, its still very possible a high man will be born of a common man.

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • from the pits of T'is K'ali to the starclad sky..
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 03:47:31 AM »
One thing that this piece of text doesn't get into is that this means that being a high man or a high elf isn't an hereditary trait, its a spiritual one.  While it more likely a high man will have high man children, its still very possible a high man will be born of a common man.

This is very cool!!! is handled like the Divine Status from Channeling Comp.  ???  with HIGH MAN beeing a talent?

Italian fanzine for the d100 rpg

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 04:01:09 AM »
No, I didn't think that was necessary, and you should always do the bare minimum of system changes when licesnsing other people's products.  :)  They are still handled as races, they are just races that someone can lose through roleplaying.  I thought it added a nice dimension to the world, with high men parents trying to hide their disappointment with common man sons and common man parents being blessed with these children they know have the likelihood of outstrapping them.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 04:02:30 AM »
On the subject of divine status, right now I'm thinking that it wouldn't be appropriate for the world.  If someone in the church were to become really evil, divine status would make that obvious to his friends.  (Hey, couldn't you control the weather last month?  The crops are whitering.)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 01:52:12 AM »
 I would have to say I like the ide of another name for divine spark. The term just seams like I have read it a lot in other game products and books. Maybe the latin word for spark or flame could be used for the divine portion and some other latin word for the evil spark. This would just give it more unique flavor IMO. Dont get me wrong I like the orrigonal ideas and how the game mechanics work. But providing it a unique name would give it the attention it needs and deservers in the setting. I have not read In Nomena (I think this is the spelling) so this may crossover with thie system if it does I would not use a latin name but one from another language.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 08:10:17 AM »
I would have to say I like the ide of another name for divine spark. The term just seams like I have read it a lot in other game products and books. Maybe the latin word for spark or flame could be used for the divine portion and some other latin word for the evil spark. This would just give it more unique flavor IMO. Dont get me wrong I like the orrigonal ideas and how the game mechanics work. But providing it a unique name would give it the attention it needs and deservers in the setting.

I agree, i have done some researches with sanskrit and these are some suggestions:

dhanaM svargasia = wealth of heaven
dhanaM narkasya = wealth of hell

hr^idi svargaath = in the hearth of heaven.
hr^idi narkaath = in the hearth of hell.

svargasiasaa = that which is of heaven
narkasyasaa = that which is of hell

nara svargasia = man of heaven
nara narkasya = man of hell

deha svargasia = body of heaven
deha narkasya = body of hell

durvR^itta = those who have been corrupted
adurvR^itta = those who have not been corrupted

:D hope this may be of help/inspiration.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 04:28:56 PM »
lorenen,
 I like "svargasia" it is a simple one word description. I can almost picture towns people pointing at a new commmer and wispering svargasia in awe and reverence.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 04:34:05 PM »
lorenen,
 I like "svargasia" it is a simple one word description. I can almost picture towns people pointing at a new commmer and wispering svargasia in awe and reverence.

MDC

:D thanks!! i'am happy that you like it!! my favourite is "svargasiasaa" that is more readable writen in the form "svargasias?" or maybe the lithuan long A is even better but is not an ASCII char and i cannot write it here.. its like an "a" but the the irght part goes down..  ;D

mood: happy

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 04:43:21 PM »
i have chosen Sanskrit in my example because have a very good sound, very similar to certain fantasy tongues (even tolkien use it as one of his inspiration sources), its very old and many words have an exotic feel (dharma, karma, brahama, tantra). Its not over used and obvious as latin and more "global"!! another very good thing that i like of this tongue is that adding an "A"  in front of a world make the negative form.. so in a world of LIGHT and DARK as Echoes of Heaven seem to be even this can be very interesting..

svargasias? = that which is of heaven..
asvargasias? = that which is not of heaven (maybe all that is on hearth..)

dhanam = wealth
adhanam = scantiness, lack of wealth.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 07:34:22 PM »
I'm listening, btw.  You haven't convinced me, but I do appreciate what you're saying.  I especially appreciate the effort you've put into this.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 10:18:34 PM »
Lorenen,
 Very intesting! Personaly I have touble with just English, not as much trouble as President Bush.

I also still think that providing a unique name adds flavor and style to a principle theam or mechanic of the setting. Nothing to long or comlicated but something that provides uniqueness.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 06:26:26 AM »
I'm listening, btw.  You haven't convinced me, but I do appreciate what you're saying.  I especially appreciate the effort you've put into this.

Thanks!! its a matter of tastes, i love oriental cultures and strange sounds tongues so i have not very common tastes.. regarding the effort there is no problem, i like do this kind of things!! i will probably post other words or phrases, feel free to ask more about something if you like it!! Markc even you feel free to ask me more if you are interested..   ;D

mood: energetic.

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 08:05:43 AM »
Twas thinking about this as I was going through the wake up routine.  The Divine Spark and The Infernal Taint?  That even adds a little connotation that those with the Taint have the Spark but it's been corrupted by evil.  It sounds like this might even be what you're thinking from you description. 

The Spark isn't gone per se but more it's been corrupted by the evil someone does.  With continued evil acts eventually the Infernal Taint extinguishes what little Divine Spark is left.  Truly only the vile evildoers will allow the Taint to extinguish their Spark.

Just ideas for you to consider.  ;D

Mood: Explorative
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:11:24 AM by Maelstrom »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 08:24:22 AM »
Hmmm.  Interesting.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 08:27:52 AM »
Hmmm.  Interesting.

Llewelyn

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 06:09:49 PM »
Twas thinking about this as I was going through the wake up routine.  The Divine Spark and The Infernal Taint? 

Well I am sure that Defendi thinks this is "Hmmmm. Interesting" at least.   ;)

I personally prefer Infernal Taint myself. Though lots of other good ideas have also been offered.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 06:34:54 AM »
Scott's pretty hand's off on stuff like this.  When he speaks up like this it usually happens.  :)